SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Texas "Permitless" Carry Bill passes Senate on way to Gov Abbott - 5/24/21 - TSRA Alert
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas "Permitless" Carry Bill passes Senate on way to Gov Abbott - 5/24/21 - TSRA Alert Login/Join 
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted
Update HB 1927 passes in Texas Senate, on way to Governor Abbott's desk. Texas will become the 21st State to pass Constitutional Carry.

Thank you Texas State Rifle Association

Texans, it started breaking Friday 5/21 that the Conference Committee had their language. The steps after were for the House and Senate to pass the committees version of HB 1927.

The latest is House has passed the Conference Committee bill Sunday night. We are waiting on official Senate passage of the Conference Committee language.

Lt. Gov Patrick and House Speaker Phelan and many others should be commended for jumping on this bill and clearing obstacles. This is shaping up to be another good 2A RKBA session for Texas. Also looking favorable to pass are a 2A Sanctuary State bill, a Hotel bill and a Foster Parents bill among others.

Please call or email the Lt. Governors office and Speaker Phelan and Rep. Schaefer and thank them for passing Constitutional Carry this session.

Thank you to the TSRA lobbyists who have been working with Rep. Schaefer, Rep. White, TX Senators and the Lt. Governor to get this to Gov Abbott's desk before session expires.

We are almost there Texas!
Update - Need to call the bills sponsor Rep Schaefer and state plainly that this bill needs to be passed out of Conference Committee.

We will take this bill as it sits.

Nothing wrong in this bill that if needed cant be fixed in two years or a special session this year.
No hard lines should be taken, no taking of marbles home and not playing because we arent getting a pure bill !!

The TX House had a point of Order filed on the Senate version.
It will now go to a Conference Committee to try and find a compromise. Time is not our friend.

Call to action - TX residents need to call the members on this committee once identified.

TSRA working to help Texas become the 21st state to pass.

From the TSRA PAC email I received:

Hello HK Ag,

House Bill 1927 by Representative Schaefer is scheduled for the floor of The House for full debate on Thursday at 10. You'll recall that this bills DOES NOT eradicate the LTC system People who qualify to carry as an LTC (if the person isn't a felon, drug addict, fugitive from justice, etc) would be allowed to carry without a permit. Mostly, the people supporting these bills already carry, so the bills are more about rights being restored. There are now 20 other states as of today that have passed some form of Permitless carry. It's high time Texas joined them!

Please call your Representatives and make sure they are planning to vote "yes" on these bills.

Its time to call your Representative whether D or R and respectfully ask them to support HB 1927 Schaefer. This is our year Texas, lets make it happen!

HK Ag

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HK Ag,

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I kinda thought the Lone Star state would've passed this long before now. I wonder if all the cockroaches moving into the state has something to do with the delay.

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints

Posts: 43 | Registered: March 05, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Nope, just one from Baltimore (you know, Nancy Pelosi's hometown) named Dan Patrick. You may or may not be able to tell, but people have gotten thoroughly sick of his shit and the decision is either being taken out of his hands or will be.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B Ware:
I kinda thought the Lone Star state would've passed this long before now. I wonder if all the cockroaches moving into the state has something to do with the delay.
Actually, folks have had the wrong idea about Texas all along. When I moved here 40 years ago, one could not even carry a gun for personal protection. A gun could be in the car and loaded if one were "traveling"--a condition not articulated in law and very much subjective in interpretation. Over the years I have watched the improvement of the gun laws in Texas to the point where both open and concealed carry are now available with "shall issue" licenses, and car availablility at all times to anyone eligible to own. We have come a long way and I believe we are at the point where Constitutional Carry will pass.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Actually, folks have had the wrong idea about Texas all along. When I moved here 40 years ago, one could not even carry a gun for personal protection. A gun could be in the car and loaded if one were "traveling"--a condition not articulated in law and very much subjective in interpretation. Over the years I have watched the improvement of the gun laws in Texas to the point where both open and concealed carry are now available with "shall issue" licenses, and car availablility at all times to anyone eligible to own. We have come a long way and I believe we are at the point where Constitutional Carry will pass.

flashguy

40 years ago, a lot of other states probably were in the same boat. Don't forget TX used to be ruled by the Dems, so nothing could really be achieved regarding carry and so. But, TX has been under complete GOP control (gov, House and Senate, and SC) for what, about 20 years now, and constitutional carry still hasn't passed. That's why I say TX should hang its head in shame. Yeah, I wrote my state rep, but he's a freaking Dem and was not one of the sponsors of HB 1927. It's like trying to fill water in a bottomless cup.

Q

Posts: 26345 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
^^^
As someone who has lived in several other states what sets Texas apart is use of force and use of deadly force statutes. We may be playing catch-up on carry restrictions (we're definitely gaining ground), but there are a whole lot of states that need to adopt Texas' use of force and use of deadly force statutes.

As far as "permitless" carry, I lived in Alaska for 5 years and its permitless carry was excellent. However, it does not negate the need for a LTC or CHL for people who travel as you still needed an Alaska LTC to have reciprocity with 23 other states including the two I traveled to the most.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Watching the TX House of Reps floor debate on HR 1927 Texas Permitless Carry bill.

They are on amendment 16, 15 of which were emotional ploys that if accepted would subject the greater bill to be subject to points of order in whole and defeated.

Debate started at 10am its 4:14 as I type. The opponents (Democrats) from urban areas, have tried to bring race into this many time so far. They are also wearing red ribbons to support the demanding mom groups.

When this passes it will then be important for the Senate to pass a companion bill. I believe the Senate will pass, but call your senator!

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:

flashguy

But in the old days, if you were the right sort, no one gave you trouble for having a gun in your pocket. I was the right sort, so it worked for me. But, yes, it is better now.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Texas has never been the bastion of gun rights that some would have you believe. Not even close.

Very happy to see this bill moving forward.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Yep, Texas being a leading 2A state has been a stereotype for quite awhile; until a number of years ago, Oregon actually had less restrictions on 2A than many conservative states.

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Texas has never been the bastion of gun rights that some would have you believe. Not even close.

Very happy to see this bill moving forward.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Texas Guys time to call your State Senator and politely ask them to push HB 1927.

Lieutenant Governor Patrick's recent email states they got 3 of the NRA's top priority bills through the Senate, lets ask them to get this one from TSRA through as well.
The Lt. Governor is proving to be pro gun again this session, but the Senate does need to hear from Texans that this is a priority this session.
He heard and worked on the other three, now he needs to hear about Texas joining the other 20 states with Constitutional Carry.

Be polite, be effective.

HK Ag

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I haven't read the entire proposed law so keep that in mind. I enjoy the other benefits of a LTC. Most notably no background checks when buying a gun. I for one would still pay a small fee to have LTC ID card and I hope the option is offered.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ The law specifically ensures that, for precisely that reason. You hear a lot about reciprocity, but permits to carry and ALL of the benefits of having a permit to carry will remain in place. Now go call your state senator.
quote:
Be polite, be effective.

But be relentless. The problem isn't just getting it to come up for a vote in the state Senate; the problem is getting it to come up for a vote when the legislative term is very short and many other people are pushing many other bills for passage. If time runs out, we have to start all over again in two years - and the people opposing Constitutional Carry are very much aware of that.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
You boys in TX better be careful if this passes. According to one of your dem reps this will lead to "wild west pimp style" carrying.

I'm gonna use this for everything

Waiter: "Sir, how would you like your burger cooked"?
Me: "Wild West Pimp Style"! Big Grin

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
That is hysterical.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Texas Members, the TX Senate will be hearing HB 1927 sponsored by Sen Schwertner in the Senate Special Committee on Constitutional Issues this Thursday.
Please call your senator and the senators on that committee along with Lt. Gov Patrick's office.

We need it voted out of this Senate Committee and then voted to the floor. To get to the floor we need 18 senators to approve.
It needs 16 Senators to pass once on the Senate Floor.

Keep up the polite phone calls and emails to your Texas St. Senators!

Lets do this Texas,

HK Ag

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
For those of you who will be in Austin Thursday, click the following and scroll down to "How To Provide Testimony On Bills In The Senate" below if you'd like to show up to testify (be prepared to wait unGodly amounts of time and then be expected to hurry through what you want to say) or provide written comments (which, unlike in the Texas House or in Texas Senate hearings on Redistricting, must be physically handed in to the Committee):
http://my.lwv.org/texas/how-ad...itol-during-pandemic

For those of you who may happen to attend, be nice to the GOA people - they've really put a lot of time in and have really done an amazing amount of legwork (including helping 'negotiate' Dan Patrick into sending the bill to committee) to make all of this happen.

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A) Someone needs to host "Wild West Pimp" matches.
B) Call it the Bigoted Communist, or something. (You can see that wack job clutching her pearls at the idea that a black man, without any convictions, might buy a gun...)

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Looked up her voting record. She is a damned Communist. All of the leftist stupidity, with a flair for the totalitarian...

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post