SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Wit and Wisdom of Jim Allen
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Wit and Wisdom of Jim Allen Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted
Like most people here, I very much miss reading Jim Allen's threads. I find comfort in reading the wise things he used to post. He will surely never be replaced. To honor him, I'd like to gather together from his posts some examples of his wit and wisdom. This includes things he used to say, things said by others whom he admired, and the sources he used to gather together the news articles he liked to post.

If there is something specific he said you feel represents his wit and wisdom, please take a moment and post it here.

I'll start things off with something he repeated a number of times over the years.

"You guys [h]ave no idea how expensive it is being rich."

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...700096844#9700096844

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great idea. (His wisdom is below)

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
[T]ry not to shoot any friendlies ....

SIGforum post at 1707, 5Dec17.

I made note of that statement because I’ve often reflected on the vast numbers of friendlies we on the Right have shot because of trivial differences of opinion over the years. Goldilocks has nothing on many of us when it comes to demanding that someone’s positions be “just right” in reference to our own. I don’t even recall what his post was about, but it could apply to countless different issues.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nothing beats knowing what you are doing.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Why should people go out and pay money to see bad films when they can stay at home and see bad television for nothing?

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
"A cat that has jumped on a hot stove won't jump on a cold one either."

-JALLEN 8/1/2017

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Auto-correct is my worst enema!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many members have a quote from him in the sig line?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
God Damn Commies!

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I wonder how many members have a quote from him in the sig line?

Me, for one!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Jim and I had long chats on investing and analysis - got me to read Graham and that was a haul

anyhow one of the things that he told me and I won't forget is that if you want to invest in a company - if you can draw what it is they do with a crayon, then you probably know enough about them to do the analysis and make an informed decision

he also told me to stay in it for the long haul - no churning on a hint of bad news...

great advice that has done me well the past 6 or 7 years

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Jim and I had long chats on investing and analysis - got me to read Graham and that was a haul

anyhow one of the things that he told me and I won't forget is that if you want to invest in a company - if you can draw what it is they do with a crayon, then you probably know enough about them to do the analysis and make an informed decision

he also told me to stay in it for the long haul - no churning on a hint of bad news...

great advice that has done me well the past 6 or 7 years

Benjamin Graham?

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
yep - he made me go buy the book and made me read it

said I'd have to read it 4 or 5 times before I truly started to understand it

he was right - second time through it was starting to make sense

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
we also used to chat about airplanes - I worked as an avionics tech and maintenance pilot for several years

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Sorry to belabor the point, but did he recommend one or all of Graham's books?

This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
God Damn Commies!

This one stuck with me as well. It’s exatly what I think when I see a license plate on a car that starts with GDC.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
There are no journalists left in America, there are only paparazzi.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was on the receiving end of his wit for a couple of my posts. I miss him.

I don’t think he was trying to be entertaining, just himself.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Jim was so well read and quoted great thinkers so often I spent many a happy moment reading people he had quoted. His own wisdom and subtle wit showed the breadth of his knowledge.

The one I recall best was Jim being self deprecating.

Another member had complimented Jim's wit and Jim had replied, "You know, I told my wife you said I was witty. She said you were half right."

I know he stole that line and it is an old joke but it really encompassed my impression of Jim. Kind, humorous, intelligent.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Jim often quoted Yogi Berra. I am the volunteer treasurer/finance guy for my local community water system. As such I have to prepare the yearly budget (which I am doing now). A favorite Yogi quote Jim often used... (paraphrasing)

My forecasting abilities are none to good, especially as it pertains to the future!

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post