SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The doorbell rang, and you saw the Charles Chips truck
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The doorbell rang, and you saw the Charles Chips truck Login/Join 
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I remember Charles Chips had a pretzel assortment that had (as I remember) four divided sections inside the can. There were really big ones and other variations.
Loved all of the Charles Chips stuff...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Those were good chips. How were they so crispy and greasy at the same time?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
https://CharlesChips.com/Shop/

Do you think the new tins are the same size as the old? I totally remember the cans! I can't recall the chips. Guessing the tins were still in the basement, but that they were from the 60's before I was around.

POST WIN FOR THE DAY!, by the way. Love it. Thank you!

My I suggest this should be your CUT in some permutation. America's version of an Italian singing from the windows. Big Grin

They are smaller. There are some neat photos on their website.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the only thing the current Charles Chips has in common with the original company is the name. It's a new, completely different company that just bought the name.

First off, the following is from Wikipedia so I can't confirm it's correct:

The company was started in 1942 when Effie Musser sold her potato chips through a distributor, who put them in distinctive tins, and named them Charles Chips after Charles Street in Baltimore. Effie and her husband soon took over the business and by 1946, moved production to a professional kitchen. They started offering home delivery of their chips, and added pretzels and cookies.

In 1974, the business model of home delivery became more challenging. The company made a strategic move to develop retail packaging and market their products into grocery and convenience stores. In 1979, Charles Chips began distribution into the California market from the Calhoun, KY plant.

In 1984, Charles Chips completed construction of a state-of-the-art pretzel and corn based snack production facility in Mountville, PA.

In 1990, the company had wholesale revenue in excess of $45 million. In 1991, the Mussers sold Charles Chips to a group of investors from Philadelphia. This new company went bankrupt 18 months later.

In 1993, Charles Chips was acquired by a popcorn company from Tampa, FL. They too went bankrupt about 18 months later.

In 1996, Hillside Snacks in North Arlington, NJ acquired the Charles Chips trademark and started marketing Charles Chips under a different recipe.

In early 2011, the Scardino family bought the brand, with plans to bring back the original recipes and the tins. They now sell chips, pretzels, and cookies from their website.

I don't remember when I had Charles Chips for the first time, it might have been in the 1990's after it was sold to the 1st investor.

Looks like the current owners have returned to using the original recipe! If by chance you did eat when the original owners were making chips, I would appreciate you sharing your opinion on how close a can ordered today matches what you remember from the original.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slight side track; I spoke a lady up the block a way's, S he told me that the Schwan's delivery man told her that his orders were up by one third over last month , so far. He has seven new customers ! Link: www.schwans.com

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Oh the memories.........

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
When I was a kid in Detroit, we could buy New Era potato chips in a can like that.

flashguy
. My father would keep all his receipts in one of those. It’s been 40 years since I saw one.
I remember New Era. I think they were eventually bought out by Frito-Lay.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
Our Charles chips guy (1970's) was also a semi-pro wrestler who would give us promo tickets to wrestling at the West Palm Beach auditorium. He played a variety of masked "bad guys". What a great time that was.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Bumpedy bump bump.

https://charleschips.com/

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

The Charles Chips website has a store locator:
https://CharlesChips.com/Store-Finder/

404 Not Found. How's that for irony?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep no store finder, online only, $30-50 a tin delivered,

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
The local Cracker Barrel sells the tins in their store.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

I'll take a look next time I'm in a grocery store, to see how that cost compares with good quality chips purchased locally.

The "Original Tin" is $1.94 / oz.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Charles Chips customer service responded quickly to my email inquiry. They said that local retail locations are Cracker Barrel and Fresh Market.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

These were my favor potato chips and my hunting buddies sent me a 5 gallon pail one Christmas when I was in CA.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
The sour cream and onion ones got me hooked at about age 10 on that flavor forever.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

Ah, those were the days, when potato chips were "Healthful Food"! Smile

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a kid, I couldn't wait for the Charles Chip truck to arrive. We had them delivered on a schedule. One day they started putting a cardboard cone in the bottom of the can. I asked the chip man why the cone. He said it kept them from breaking. I said ok. Today I would know it was to reduce volume of chips without changing the size of the can.

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Charles Chips customer service responded quickly to my email inquiry. They said that local retail locations are Cracker Barrel and Fresh Market.

Saw that Cracker barrel had some, but it appeared to be bags not Tins, will have to check it out next time I'm there... We do have a fresh market close by...

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
my folks still have a can or two around the house.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post