SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    MD hardshell crabs- any recommendations in DC region?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MD hardshell crabs- any recommendations in DC region? Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
Been to Cantler's, great place but pricey. Would like place on or near water.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Not sure about crabs per se but this place in Fells Point in Baltimore was really, really good when we ate there a few years ago:

Thames Street Oyster House

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Captain Mas behind the Home Depot on Cascades Parkway is supposed to be good.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
This place is good: https://harriscrabhouse.com/

You have to cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge to get there so don’t go Friday afternoon or Saturday morning due to the heavy beach going traffic.

Always call ahead to any restaurant at which you are planning to eat crabs. Sometimes there are none available.

Don’t go to Cantlers. They are a bunch of poaching rednecks. When doing work nearby, I noticed that their septic system overflowed into the river right next to the intake for the holding tank of soft shell crabs.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Seven years working in the Pentagon. My vote:

Captain Billy's

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Do you REALLY want to know where to pick up crabs in DC?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My vote is gandmcrabcakes.com near BWI.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

A long time ago (30+ years) and they may have gone downhill, but any trip to Ocean City back then included a mandatory meal or two at Phillips Seafood.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:

I do not believe they offer hard shell crabs.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not really on the water but located close enough for an after dinner stroll. Used to be a nice place for crab when I lived in the area.

http://www.quarterdeckarlington.com/directions.html

Posts: 289 | Location: North Central Florida | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:

I try to always fly into BWI for just this reason.

Used to like Timbuktu, but was talked into G&M and they became my new favorite.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike's in Annapolis

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you just want crabs there are lots of guys who set up their truck on the side of the road on weekends and boil bushels of crabs.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

A long time ago (30+ years) and they may have gone downhill, but any trip to Ocean City back then included a mandatory meal or two at Phillips Seafood.

Higgins in OC for all you can eat Blues for $29.95 as of a week ago.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Not on the water but family friend has a seafood restaurant in Gainesville near Manassas Va. (Dent White and Blue Crabs) and his father and grandfather (PaPa Dents) have a roadside area where they sell steamed crabs just south of Woodbridge. Crabs at both are the best around. They are good people and again I have known them most of my life.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post