SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone from the forum work for Chipotle? (update page 4 and 5) to add....GOT IT!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone from the forum work for Chipotle? (update page 4 and 5) to add....GOT IT! Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I am interviewing for an area manager role and really want this job. Would like to discuss something that happened during the last interview.

Email in my profile if you have work(ed) for the company and are willing to discuss a few things with me.

Thanks much....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
good luck, Ronin.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
If you get the role please use your powers to get a Chipotle opened in Snohomish County, WA -- east of I-5.

GOOD LUCK! Cool

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
A "just in case" bump....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ronin,
Was it something specific to Chpotle? Lots of us on here do some interviewing and may be able to shed light if we had a better idea what occurred.

I'm guessing they asked you to bump up your Tatoo, piercing and gauging budget. :-)

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
Ronin,
Was it something specific to Chpotle? Lots of us on here do some interviewing and may be able to shed light if we had a better idea what occurred.

I'm guessing they asked you to bump up your Tatoo, piercing and gauging budget. :-)

Okay, I'll play. Interview went very well, to the point where the recruiting manager told me to have a nice weekend and not worry about waiting to hear back, he was moving me forward to the next round.

Then he gave me a scenerio:

You have 7 restaurants. 3 "C" 2 "D" and and 2"F" stores. Write a 30/60/90 plan to address sales/profitability/guest counts in the 7 stores and how you would bring them up to a "B" level.

Guys, I have been through a lot of interviews in my day, and given a few as well, never heard of this type of 'assignment' during the interview process. I Googled the hell out of it and could not find this type of process specific to Chipotle.

My initial thought is that he was thinking of 7 specific stores in my area that I might get; he wants to know if I am just talking a good game or if I really know what I'm doing.

Next interview is on Thursday or Friday and I am putting together a written plan based on the info that he gave me.

Chipotle has been a "grail" company for me for many years, I very much want this job and to work for them.

Thoughts?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Picture of Photoman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
My initial thought is that he was thinking of 7 specific stores in my area that I might get; he wants to know if I am just talking a good game or if I really know what I'm doing.

Interesting. It almost sounds like he is "data mining" for solutions without having to pay for them.

p.s. Please become the manager of my local store and tell them to turn up the warmers. I'm tired of eating cold food there.

+++

Posts: 1561 | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
No suggestions, I guess all in my area are A's. I've stopped eating there. The whole purpose of fast food is to be fast. I will not wait in line for 20 minutes to order fast food.

If a stores problem is long lines here's my super obvious advice. Overlap shifts from 11-2. If there's any DC Metro Chilpolte managers reading this. Staff your store adequately please.

Hope you hit it out of the park Ronin, good luck!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigActual
posted Hide Post
Don't over think it, I would find out why the low rated stores are low rated (cold food,cleanliness, CS etc) and then figure how to improve

Stay in the Fight!

Posts: 623 | Location: South Florida | Registered: November 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting. It almost sounds like he is "data mining" for solutions without having to pay for them.

My thought as well

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:
quote:

My thought as well

1. Agree.
2. Strategize how to answer the questions well enough for an interview to get the job yet give answers that leave them wanting more... so they have to hire you to get the job done.

I don't work for Chipolte, but assume they are veteran friendly to bring you along in the interview. Not to turn it into a combat op but think how you handle group performance issues from your training

A. I must have proper intel on each situation in order to craft workable solutions.
B. I cannot stay at HQ, or behind the lines if I really want to know what's going on. So I'll spend time at each store observing from the customer's vantage - perhaps as a "secret shopper" if the employees don't yet know who I am. I'll sit with my food in the dining area and make my observations/notes for later review with staff.
C. I'll speak with or survey customers on their likes, dislikes and how strongly they feel about returning for a future meal - perhaps with coupons or a drawing as incentive.
D. I'll look at what the stores that do things right do, even if that means being a customer in another sales region where there are "A" stores and learn from them.
E. I'll consider "loaning" lieutenants who perform better to stores that need to learn to come up to par.
F. Are there ways to address underperforming employees to seek effective means for changing the motivation of each?

As a structure for the 30 60 90 look at PDSA cycle and see if it helps you rough out a timeleine LINK and see if it helps structure your thoughts and plans. Remember to break the work and plan into small, measurable and obtainable goals. Time from door to order, order to food, etc.. LINK

If you have to hand this in in writing, don't make it something so cookbook that they can do it without you. Make it implicit that they need to hire YOU so that this clever plan you've devised can work.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Ronin, best wishes for this to work out the way you want it to.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have to hand this in in writing, don't make it something so cookbook that they can do it without you. Make it implicit that they need to hire YOU so that this clever plan you've devised can work.

Thanks for this part. It is something I have thought about.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
I'd tell him he'd have to hire me to find out. Wink

It sounds like a lousy interview question. It's a loaded question that has many variables and frankly, the company should have a process in place to fix it, not some guy coming in for an interview.

If you want a serious answer I would have said training. If training can't fix these stores then the problem transcends anything you'd be able to do.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
D. I'll look at what the stores that do things right do, even if that means being a customer in another sales region where there are "A" stores and learn from them.

ChuckFinley

Much of what you wrote in your post I have already incorporated into my plan. What's quoted above I had not considered, but is brilliant. As the "newb", of course I would want to visit/work at an "A" store for a day or two and get a feel for what's right. Thank you!

To those who think the company is 'data mining', maybe? But in the end, it doesn't really matter. I've been trying to get this role with them for years, I'll play the game. Their ball, their rules.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
You might want to visit each store before the interview, order food and sit in the dinning area and observe the interaction of the staff/management/customers.

Location and staff can make or break a store.

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
30/60/90 day plans are very common in my industry as part of the interview process. Basically it's an opportunity to show that you understand the industry/job and can prioritize the important task that need to be completed to get off to a good start and begin to solve problems and accomplish things that are important to reaching goals.

What do I need to accomplish in the first 30 days:

Onboarding
Training
Analyse P&L for each store
Visit all stores personally
Meet all staff
Etc...

Next 30 days:
Evaluate staff for long-term placement/replacement
Plan to hire new staff
Gap plan for P&L shortfalls and action plan for short term results
Etc....

Next 30 days:
Complete performance reviews with each staff member
Implement plan to drive traffic based on evaluations from the first 60 days
Etc...etc..

You dont need a novel, simple bullets that you can talk throuh and expand upon in a follow up interview. Ours are typically presented to a panel via PowerPoint. I have no familiarity with your industry or role and pulled the above action items out of my backside so ignore the content....its simply a template for what a 30/60/90 day plan looks like. Don't pack to too much into the first 30 days as you will look delusional. Acknowledge that there will be time spent doing onboarding type activities and training as it will show that you understand the importance of I reheating into the culture and doing things right from the start. Use the 2nd and 3rd 30 day blocks to demonstrate that you know how to identify problems and implement plans to correct them. Also demonstrate that you understand the industry or job by prioritizing the more critical issues in the 30-60 day block.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Ronin, i don't think they're "data mining" at all. It sounds more like an MBA assignment and they want to know how you'll problem solve multi-store issues.

Bring in your plan in bullet format with calendar goals (first six months, second, etc). Be cognizant of monthly changes in sales for the region.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In technology, we throw scenarios in interviews all the time. Sometimes a past problem, sometimes a current. The idea is to see how you approach the problem, how your thought processes work. What questions get asked about the scenario ( or if you ask any ), if/then branching in the plan, depth of knowledge around the subject matter...

I'd run with it. If they get an answer from you for free and don't hire you, you didn't want to work for them.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Fascinating information, gentlemen.

I'm taking notes and learning even though I'm not in this situation.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post