SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games)
Page 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 109

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games) Login/Join 
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Idaho is as red a state as exists, populated by farmers & ranchers and working people. But Pocatello is a college town with a significant population of leftist idiots, and as a result Pocatello's newspaper, the Idaho State Journal, is schizophrenic.

This "article" (really a lengthy editorial), from the front page of today's edition, puts that schizophrenia on full display: LINK

quote:
TOP STORY
‘YOU ALWAYS HAVE A VOICE’: African Americans with local ties respond to national anthem protests
By Shelbie Harris sharris@journalnet.com

President Donald Trump on Friday called on NFL team owners to fire any players who refused to stand for the national anthem.

Trump encouraged the NFL owners to say, “Get that son of a bitch off the field right now. Out! He’s fired.”

Delivered at a rally in Huntsville, Alabama, Trump’s remarks spurred hundreds of NFL players, coaches and owners to kneel, sit or otherwise demonstrate peacefully during the national anthems performed in stadiums across the country on Sunday and Monday.

And on Tuesday, Trump doubled-down on his remarks by calling for a “rule that you can’t kneel during our National Anthem!”

The president’s statements — which include 14 tweets — and the controversy surrounding the movement started by former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick 13 months ago has several prominent African-American citizens with ties to Pocatello compelled to set the record straight on why these peaceful protests have nothing to do with the flag, the national anthem, patriotism or the lack thereof exhibited by participating protesters.

Many Southeast Idaho residents might remember the name Ed Sanders, who in 1952 became the first African-American Olympic Heavyweight Champion and the first American to win gold in the division since 1904. Ed Sanders was also a veteran who served in the Navy during the Korean war.

“My father stood with his hands at his side and did not cover his heart when he received his gold medal,” said Ed Sanders’ son, Russell Sanders who lives in Pocatello. “That was the most inspiring thing that has ever happened to him as a member of this nation.”

The U.S. is a nation that 226 years ago said its government will make no law abridging the right for its citizens to speak freely or to peacefully assemble.

For 74 years after the U.S. ratified the First Amendment, African Americans were sold, purchased and owned as property for slave labor.

And for almost 100 years after the U.S. ratified the Thirteenth Amendment abolishing slavery, African Americans drank from separate drinking fountains, went to separate schools and were attacked repeatedly by the men who swore an oath to protect and serve all American citizens.

“We have some issues with equality in this country and slavery had a big deal to do with it,” Russell Sanders said. “More than 150 years later, it’s like we are still being watched by slave patrols.”

Russell Sanders said that times were simple in 1952. Twelve years before segregation was outlawed, Russell Sanders said that his father lived in a time when American citizens loved their country but were not so nationalistic that they worshiped the American flag.

In high school, Russell Sanders said he was never asked or told to cover his heart during the recitation of the “The Star-Spangled Banner.”

And when Russell Sanders played basketball for Idaho State University during the ’70s, the American flag was not considered a novelty item used to sell flip-flops, bathing suits or bandanas.

“The flag means nothing in comparison to our Constitution,” Russell Sanders said. “Today, the flag is used in a capitalistic way to sell things.”

When asked what he thinks about Kaepernick’s decision to protest during the national anthem, Russell Sanders said, “I think he did the right thing. As an African American, I have four male children and one male grandchild. It’s always been a very, should I call it, big problem for me that people of color are being shot at the rate that they are being shot.”

Russell Sanders continued, “It was like someone let loose a memo that when a police officer is pulling over a black male they can do whatever they want.”

Ed Sanders wasn’t the last Olympic athlete to dissent popular traditions during the national anthem.

In the 1968 Olympics, African-American sprinters Tommie Smith and John Carlos famously raised their fists in a black power salute on the medal podium while “The Star-Spangled Banner” played, protesting American treatment of African-Americans.

And in the 1972 Munich Olympic games, two other African-American sprinters, Wayne Collett and Vince Matthews, stood around casually, and, some would say, disrespectfully during the song. Their different poses, however, did not result in a statue raised at the National Museum of African American History and Culture like the former duo. Instead, both were suspended from the U.S. team, an act Trump has called upon owners of NFL teams to do to punish protesting players.

The ritual of teams standing on the sidelines during the national anthem is not such a longstanding tradition. It began just eight years ago. Last year, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy confirmed that the practice began in 2009, adding “players are encouraged, but not required, to stand for the anthem.”

The way Trump has positioned the protests made by NFL players calls for citizens to believe the actions of these players are a sign of disrespect to the men and women who serve in the military, and ultimately a sign of disrespect to all of America.

But in the eyes of Les Purce, Pocatello’s first and only African-American mayor elected in 1976 who now resides in Washington state, the protests are just the opposite, in that they are the epitome of the rights the forefathers afforded when founding America.

“Our country is supposed to be free,” Purce said. “Our democratic tradition is grounded on the idea that people can speak and have a voice. When people protest, it is by nature uncomfortable. But the fact that these people are expressing their own personal experience apart from their profession is well within the bounds of the rights afforded in the Constitution. And the mixed reaction is part of history as well.”

The messiest part of America’s democratic government, according to Purce, is that members of the military fight for the ability of people to protest and express their concerns about what is wrong in the country, sometimes doing so at a time — like during the national anthem — when American citizens should pay homage to those who have sacrificed their lives.

“While there is this controversy because people have a difference of opinion about the protests, in America whether you are an athlete, a professor, a veteran or in whatever profession there is no distinction between your ability to have a voice when you are a citizen first and an employee second,” Purce said. “You always have a voice.”

And while Ed Sanders didn’t sacrifice his life protecting the freedoms of American citizens, he died in the ring during a boxing match against Willie James, the New England Heavyweight Champion. Russell Sanders was 8-months-old at the time.

“If my father was alive today I think that he would have been a humanitarian about it,” Russell Sanders said when asked what his father would make of the controversy surrounding the protests today. “And you know what, I believe he would have taken a knee, too.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Report This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Time to boycott the NFL's sponsors. We'll see who has the real power. I'm talking my own knee here and am done with them.

Sponsor list

Anheuser-Busch,
Barclaycard US,
Bose,
Bridgestone,
Campbell's Soup Company,
Castrol,
Courtyard Marriott,
Dairy Management, Inc. (Fuel Up to Play 60),
Dannon,
Extreme Networks,
X-Box,
FedEx,
Ford,
Frito-Lay,
Gatorade,
Hyundai Motor America,
Mars Snackfood,
McDonalds,
Microsoft,
Nationwide,
News America,
Nike,
Papa John's,
Pepsi,
Procter & Gamble,
Quaker,
Verizon,
Visa,
Under Armor,
USAA

Teams also have deals with sponsors. I know the Cowboys have ATT and Bank of America among others.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3088 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Report This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Why is AP part of that story? He plays for the Saints.

Because that story is click-bait garbage. The Radisson thing happened over two years ago.

Posts: 10792 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Report This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
My waning interest in the Indianapolis Colts metastasized into a bitter hatred upon seeing those players in uniform take the knee. Fuck them I am no longer a Colts fan. I won't watch a single game this season. Mad

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21051 | Location: North Carolina  | Registered: April 16, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Anyone here willing to start watching again if the NFL caves and penalizes kneeling?
I fucking won't because they had their chance to make this rule when it was simply the right thing to do. Anything beyond this point is damage control for their lost revenue.

For me to watch anything NFL in the future would only happen if they corrected far more than just this kneeling crap. No more taxpayer subsidies; eliminate - all thuggery, thug-like behavior (on and off field), any appearance of condoning said thug bullshit; and much more.

For far too long I've been disappointed with the NFL - the behavior of its players & owners, and its policies - yet I was one of the many who kept watching anyway. To get me back as a viewer they would have to perform a "fundamental transformation" on themselves individually and the league as a whole.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Apparently, it is not only Sigforum members who are canceling NFL TV subscriptions.

quote:
Chris Baker, who lives in Indiana, told the WSJ that he reluctantly canceled his Sunday Ticket subscription, but not precisely as a response to the protests. “I explained to them I was tired of politics in sports, and it’s not how I want to spend my Sunday, watching all that transpire,” he said he told a DirecTV representative. He said the representative “insinuated there was a high volume of calls calling in to cancel.

quote:
Chuck Plavk, a veteran who resides in Wisconsin, canceled his subscription to the channel from Charter Communications ’ Spectrum Cable. He said when he called, the customer service representative said, “everybody’s calling about that today.” Unlike Sunday Ticket, which is only available through DirecTV, RedZone is available through a number of cable providers and streaming outlets.

LINK

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16596 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Perhaps they will go back to football and eliminate the anthem from the event to simply eliminate the stand or kneel problem without restricting players either way.

Wonder how that would play out...

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
In addition to the main 32 League Wide Sponsors the Dallas Cowboys are sponsored by:

Frito Lay
UPS
Sony
United Healthcare
Pepsi
Reliant Energy
Papa John’s
Nike
New Era
Nationwide Insurance
Miller Light
Jack Daniels
General Electric
Gatorade
Gaylord Texan
Hublot
Ford
Dr.Pepper
Dunkin Donuts
Att
Crown Royal
Bank of America
Dr. Pepper
Belk
Bacardi
Albertson’s
Academy Sports
American Airlines

Someone needs to research what every team’s individual sponsors are and make a master list. And even better still tell us what companies we can actually shop at that don’t contribute money to the NFL,NBA, etc.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3088 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Report This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Perhaps they will go back to football and eliminate the anthem from the event to simply eliminate the stand or kneel problem without restricting players either way.

I don't watch sports. But to me, that's the same as kneeling / abstaining.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12678 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:

Agree. That would guarantee I never watch again.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
quote:
quote:

Agree. That would guarantee I never watch again.

That's my position as well.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think that's the real objective of those pushing the protests....
They are people who hate America. If they can get rid of the national anthem, that's another victory for the GDCs.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23919 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

Given the appalling abuses inflicted on this noble song by most of the selected "performers", it might be a plus.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
What a coincidence that they would tie their protest to the anthem. These folks truly hate America. By trolling the anthem, they effectively associate everything the anthem stands for with racism...it's amazing that folks so quickly accept that it's not about duty, honor, country.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
99.9999999% of these thugs don't even know what they're protesting. It's a classic case of fucking monkeys see, monkeys do. Herd mentality.

Q

Posts: 26179 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

Very different from independent decision of a grown, very well paid "adult" in the NFL.

This raises an interesting point. In all of our associations, there are disagreements in the group about some issue or another, often heated disagreement. Hard feelings arise, tension between members, animosities. Sometimes the disputants take it out on the others in various ways, legal, financial, social, reputational.

An NFL player is an adult, many young adults, who should be and are presumed to be capable of deciding things for themselves, appropriately.

One thing is unique to the NFL. Every one of them is vulnerable to a career ending injury on any play.

They are trained to hit, tackle, block, to avoid inflicting those types of injuries and there are penalties for "unnecessary roughness" "unsportsmanlike conduct" etc. It's just a game, of course, and nobody wants anybody to get hurt, unless they do.

Take Alejandro Villanueva whose appearance at attention, hand over his heart, many of us admired this weekend. He came out the next day and disavowed some of the sentiment ascribed to his conduct, it was his fault, embarrassed his teammates inadvertently, didn't want to show up the coach, etc. I posted the video of his lengthy comments here.

I wonder where his heart and head really are. This guy is huge, tough as they come, you would think, but was he reacting to some intimidation perhaps to moderate his stance?

I wonder how much pressure there is to go along, union pressure, teammates, opponents.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
99.9999999% of these thugs don't even know what they're protesting. It's a classic case of fucking monkeys see, monkeys do. Herd mentality.

I actually disagree a little, yeah the football morons don't know jackshit, but I'll bet most of them think this kneeling shit shows the world that Whitey is keepin' blacks down, even blacks that earn 10 million dollars a year. Of course they can't articulate and defend their insane position because they're idiots, but to them, it is simply all about Whitey .

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16596 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
West Virginia AG:

#NFL players should be down on both knees thanking god they live in country allowing them to make millions while showing such disrespect.

"Senator Manchin has sided with his liberal friends countless times over West Virginia’s conservative values...Now, his silence in the face of deep disrespect to our national symbol is further proof that he will not stand with West Virginia. As a senator, Sen. Manchin owes it to the people of West Virginia to tell them where he stands. Does he stand with his liberal whining activist buddies, or does he stand with our veterans and thousands of patriotic West Virginians?”

3 days later:

Manchin:

"This is something that the owners have to address...[they have to] step in here and say, 'I'm not going to tolerate it'... I think everyone should stand and show reflect for the flag that represents the greatest nation on earth."

another excellent move by Villanueva:

Steelers’ Alejandro Villanueva is donating all proceeds on his jersey/apparel sales to USO and other military non-profits, as he always has.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...paign-issue-n2386740

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
question: if the NFL and owners are so supportive of their players for unity, why hasn't Kaepernick been hired ?

The guy that started all this is still unemployed.

Maybe the owners fear a vocal Kaepernick would swing this debate back to what really triggered the disgraceful behavior to the flag and anthem. If that becomes the public focus, the anger towards the NFL will go thru the roof.

Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Leastwise the girls of the Lingerie Football League are showing proper respect during this; might even increase their viewership. Wink

http://freebeacon.com/culture/...nds-to-nfl-we-stand/

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Report This Post