SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games)
Page 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... 109

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games) Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

The NFL could take a hint from this tournament.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/09...residents-cup-video/

I wonder what the guy behind Wonder Putz is saying "you kneel and I'll kick you in the back of the head"?

Clinton looks upset he's not the only black man at a full tourney

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Report This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
Stand at attention, if you are a man and you have a hat remove it and hold it over your heart.

FIFY.

Ladies don't remove their hats due to the amount of effort regarding their hairdoos

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
NBA memo reinforces rule that players, coaches must stand for national anthem

The NBA sent a memo late Friday to teams reinforcing its rule that players and coaches stand for the national anthem, suggesting other ways in which they might address the recent protest movement sweeping across the NFL and other sports.

The memo, a copy of which was obtained by ESPN, was distributed by deputy commissioner Mark Tatum. It instructs teams that "the league office will determine how to deal with any possible instance in which a player, coach, or trainer does not stand for the anthem."

The memo states that individual teams "do not have the discretion to waive" the rule that players, coaches and staff stand for the anthem. The league has the discretion to discipline players who violate the rule. It is not clear if the league would exercise it in the event of any protest. The league also does not want teams independently disciplining players, sources say, and has encouraged open dialogue within teams.

NBA outlines community initiatives in letter

A letter sent Tuesday by the NBA to all teams outlined six ongoing community initiatives while encouraging leadership from each team to provide any further ideas on how the NBA can be a presence in communities and assist with issues in society.
Curry: People 'trying to minimize what we're talking about because we have money'

The criticism athletes have received as being voices for social justice is that they make a lot of money. Stephen Curry is pushing back on that attempt at invalidation.

In the memo, Tatum suggests teams might address the current political climate by having players and coaches give a joint pregame address at their first home games.

"This could include a message of unity and how the team is committed to bringing the community together this season," the memo states.

The memo also suggests teams might prepare a video tribute or public service announcement featuring "team leadership speaking about the issues they care about."

The memo comes a day after commissioner Adam Silver said he expects players to stand for the national anthem.

Last season, NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick began kneeling during the national anthem as a means of protesting social and racial injustice and police brutality. Dozens of NFL players followed suit Sunday, two days after President Donald Trump said owners should fire players who protest during the anthem. The Dallas Cowboys locked arms and knelt just before the national anthem before their Monday Night Football game. Before the national anthem ahead of Game 1 of the WNBA Finals, players from the Los Angeles Sparks and Minnesota Lynx locked arms; L.A. players then left the floor during the anthem. The Sparks repeated the protest ahead of Game 2.

The NBA is seeking a delicate balance in how it responds to the wave of protests in sports and the general political climate surrounding the Trump administration. Silver and Michele Roberts, executive director of the players' union, have consistently urged players to address issues that matter to them. Tatum's memo does the same. It also suggests other ways in which teams can "continue to develop impactful community programs," including mentorship programs, community gatherings, using basketball to "build bridges" between segments of a community and inviting community leaders to speak to teams.

Several players went further on media day and explicitly condemned Trump and his policies. Some owners, while in some cases sympathetic to those views, have expressed concern about such statements alienating fans who might support the president, sources told ESPN.

The league in the past week has sent teams at least two other memos outlining ways other than anthem protests in which teams can engage with their communities and address current events. In one memo, sent Tuesday, the league informed teams that, beginning in October, the U.S. Conference of Mayors "will host a series of community conversations and other events with NBA teams to engage young people, law enforcement, and local leaders."

Roberts told The Undefeated's Marc J. Spears on Friday that the union will respond to any protest-related discipline from the league office "when it happens."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/...tand-national-anthem

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
[QUOTE] NBA memo reinforces rule that players, coaches must stand for national anthem

The NBA sent a memo late Friday to teams reinforcing its rule that players and coaches stand for the national anthem, suggesting other ways in which they might address the recent protest movement sweeping across the NFL and other sports.
Excellent idea. May I suggest "blowing it out your ass" as an alternative method? Smile

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Maybe it is coming to the time to suggest that the interests of racial, religious, and gender equality require that sports teams no longer ignore those disparities which are so prominent in pro sports.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Disparities, Gracie?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
The American Thinker has an article about the crimes of many of the protesters. Gives refreshed meaning to the phrase 'methinks thou dost protest too much'.

I'm just waiting to see how the league reacts to the next professional felon who fucks up off the field. They are under so much pressure to prove that they are not morally bankrupt that they will have to come down on him like a ton of bricks to retain any credibility.

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Report This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Maybe it is coming to the time to suggest that the interests of racial, religious, and gender equality require that sports teams no longer ignore those disparities which are so prominent in pro sports.

Yes, NBA player LeBron James claims he is supporting the protests in the name of "equality".

Well geez, LeBron, let's do something about "equality" by enforcing some new rules, such as having two white starters on every single NBA team, and one Asian/Hispanic starter as well. Each team will employ more whites and asians to bring down the 75% slice blacks have in the league, down to 40%, which is more than generous given their actual slice of the U.S. population. And starting in 2020, women will make up 50% of the roster of each NBA team.

And while we're on the subject of "equality", let's straighten out this disparity in salaries. Every body on the team gets equal pay, no matter of ability, hey we're all part of the same team, right LeBron? Put your money where your mouth is pal.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Disparities, Gracie?

One suspects a tongue-un-cheek reference to the fact that the NBA and NFL, at least, are disproportionately represented by People Of Colour?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I am not averse to playing the straight man from time to time.

Too dry?

Like the Sahara

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
....represented by People Of Colour?

And apparently British Wink

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not averse to playing the straight man from time to time.

Too dry?

Like the Sahara

Say good night, George!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Disparities, Gracie?

One suspects a tongue-un-cheek reference to the fact that the NBA and NFL, at least, are disproportionately represented by People Of Colour?

If it is good enough for firehouses, police stations, government offices and businesses, maybe it's time to bring it to sports.

61% white non Hispanic, 12% black, 18% Hispanic, 6% Asian, 1% American Indian, 1% Hawaiian Pacific Islander, 49% male, 51% female...... get with it, Roger, Adam, Rob.

Let's bring equality, social justice, fairness to every corner of the country, every walk of life.

I expect to see 300 lbs white women playing tackle next year.

Once we get that done, then we can worry about gay/straight/tran equality.

That'll earn your $40 million a year!

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Here locally, no scumbags taking knees.

Anderson County football team enters field carrying American flags

CLINTON - Amid controversy in the NFL, one Tennessee high school football team is using their platform to respond.

At Friday's game against Chattanooga's East Ridge High School, Anderson County players and coaches walked onto the field carrying American flags.

Toby Keith's "Courtesy to the Red, White and Blue" played in the stadium as patriotic fireworks were set off.

“The NFL has been using that venue for other causes, we wanted to make sure our platform was used for what it was intended," explained Coach David Gillum. "Our kids have dads in military some of them are over there now, we wanted to do our part to show support for the freedoms they fought for."

He says they also wanted to show support for the high school's junior ROTC team which displays the colors during the National Anthem before each game.

Normally, the team is still in the locker rooms during the National Anthem, but chose to enter the field earlier on Friday to be able to be there.

"In light of everything going on in NFL, we asked our kids and let them decide if they wanted do something, we were for it, but we didn't wanted them to be in a controversy," said Gillum. "They wanted to do something in support of our military and National Anthem, being a platform for us to honor our vets, military, family that has served, everyone who has fought and died for it."

Video:
https://www.facebook.com/WBIRC...UCVuhN9o&pnref=story

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Yeah, how about establishing rules that require that every professional sports team must be comprised of ethnic groups in proportion to the national census. I.e. black males about 6%, etc etc. Really !

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
The American Thinker has an article about the crimes of many of the protesters. Gives refreshed meaning to the phrase 'methinks thou dost protest too much'.

I'm just waiting to see how the league reacts to the next professional felon who fucks up off the field. They are under so much pressure to prove that they are not morally bankrupt that they will have to come down on him like a ton of bricks to retain any credibility.

Not a bad idea, but do you want to bet that it will happen? Too much money involved for too many people.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
This is nuts if true.

http://www.dcclothesline.com/2...for-national-anthem/

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
This is nuts if true.

It's easy enough to do, especially when the moral hazard of differing motives becomes involved.

Everybody can have a bad game.

A great many procedures and policies, like reporting injuries, starting line ups, are to facilitate big money gambling, and once these guys can't be sure which fix is in, there will be unhappiness.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
This is nuts if true.

Do NOT click that link. It will attempt to take over your browser until you answer stupid survey questions.

(I find such tactics odious. dccclothesline.com hereby blacklisted here.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Well I'm on a Mac (and I clicked before your post) so I got to read it. Well I didn't actually read it. I read the first line and stopped. Don't bother.