SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games)
Page 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... 109

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games) Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Should Papa John’s anticipated years ago that something like this would happen and never done business with the NFL? Confused

For me, I've been aware that the NFL has been anti-gun for years which is WELL DOCUMENTED. I don't feel sorry for anyone who chooses to dance with anti-2A entities.

Also, for me, I'm an old school conservative --- there aren't too many of us around anymore, but as such, I feel it's nonsense to spend tax dollars on stadiums and the like. Again, I don't feel sorry for any company that chooses to dance with the devil.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10907 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Kappernick seems to be intent on a scorched earth policy with the NFL. Now Jerry Jones and Bob Kraft are to be deposed and required to turn over their cell phone records in discovery for Kappernick to prove collusion. I can only imagine what these NFL owners think about being deposed and having to turn over cell phone records.
From the aricle:

quote:
The 49ers quarterback-turned-NFL martyr is charging that NFL teams, in “calculated coordination” with President Trump, blackballed him from the league after he became the face of the NFL anthem protests, which he started to fight against racial inequality.

Kaepernick opted out of his 49ers contract this offseason and has yet to get significant interest from teams, despite being more talented and having a better track record than a handful of the starters in the league, let along the backups.

Is Trump named in his law suit as well? Will he have to be deposed and turn over his cell phone records?? Roll Eyes
I wonder how Kappernicks kneeling soul brothers are going to feel when contract values are significantly decreased due to revenue loss thanks to Kappernick.
The idiot opted out of his contract. Thought he could get the really big bucks somewhere else. Sometimes it works sometimes it don't.
And who says he's more talented than some of the other starters out there?

There isn't a coach in the NFL who wants this cancer in his locker room. There isn't a owner who wants to put that on a coach.

I can't imagine how the courts would have to twist this to force a team to sign him to anything.
But these are strange times indeed...

Link

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Report This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Just so I'm clear on the Papa John thing:

They were never supportive of the kneeling and now are doubly against it based on sales trend data?

Or did they support the kneeling but with current sales trends they are prioritizing that and want the NFL to resolve in some manner that results in regaining sales?

If former, I'll go buy a pizza tonight. If latter, then I'll eat cup noodles.

Papa John was fine with everything the NFL was doing. Until they looked at their quarterly earnings. Sales had dropped ~6%, with many citing the support of the NFL as their reason for skipping their product. The other thing is, the NFL has reserved future spots for them when they decide to return. This was all about the Benjamins and nothing to do with their disdain of the players 'protest'. If attendance ticks back up just a bit, they'll jump back in with both feet.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
It's a sad state of affairs when an employee, who quit of his own volition, can turn around and sue for his job back causing a loss of time and money for the business owner.

If I was the lawyer for the owners I would ask for all the texts and emails from Kappernick to his friends. I'm sure there would be plenty of "fuck this place" type of evidence found in them.

And since when has it been illegal for a business owner to ask peer advice about who not hire because they are bad for business?

Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
I don't understand.

Kaepernick escaped the oppression of pick'n footballs. The White man no longer has him in the clutches of the NFL slavery. Why would he want to go back now that he has his freedom?

JESSE JACKSON: NFL LIKE BLACK SLAVES 'PICKING COTTON BALLS' Says athletes now 'picking up footballs without freedom.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Apparently life on the milti-million dollar plantations the owners run wasn't so bad after all....

Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
Why would it be illegal if all 32 owners and general managers each decided they didn’t want a colossal jackass on their team?

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Report This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Veteran Refuses Service Award Offered by Saints, Calls NFL Protests ‘Slap in the Face’

The NFL has long-standing tradition of mixing respect for the flag, and those who defend it, into their pregame ceremonies and community outreach. However, since the NFL has recently decided to mix disrespect for the flag, and those who defend it, into their pregame ceremonies. One veteran in Louisiana has decided to call them out on it.
Meet John Wells, he is a retired Navy commander and executive director of the national Military Veterans Advocacy organization, in Slidell, Louisiana. Mr. Wells was chosen by the Saints to be the recipient of the People’s Health Champion award. A recognition offered to a member of the community who exemplifies “the exceptional achievements of Louisiana residents age 65 and older.”

Though flattered by being chosen for the award, Wells could not “in good conscience” accept the award. Given the “slap in the face” he feels NFL players have shown veterans by way of their anthem protests.

“Although I am touched and honored to be selected for such an award, the ongoing controversy with NFL players’ disrespect for the national flag forces me to decline to participate in the presentation,” Wells said in a press release. “Since this award is tainted with the dishonorable actions of the NFL and its players, I cannot accept it.”

The Saints responded to Wells in a lengthy statement on Thursday afternoon:

Respectfully and honorably, we chose Mr. Wells for the Peoples Health Champion Award purposefully for this game to bring to light the exact issues that he and his organization represent — the health and well-being of our military, veterans and their families. Unfortunately, he has chosen very publicly not to accept this honor and refused the opportunity to promote the very cause for which he was being honored and distract from awareness we hoped to build throughout our community. We respect his decision, he has that right, and we thank him for his service to our country and his past efforts on behalf of the military and veterans.

Saints players protested en masse, along with the rest of the league, after President Trump called protesting players out at a rally in Alabama in late September, Since then, they have knelt prior to the playing of the national anthem, and stood during the actual playing of the song. Some Saints players took to Twitter to throw off the perception that their protest has been anti-military.

While it’s true that the Saints have only knelt prior to the anthem and not during it, in recent weeks. For many fans, all it takes is one such instance to show the organization’s true colors. Another point often made by fans, is that the players are still using the spotlight of the pregame ceremonies to make a political statement, even if they kneel prior to the actual playing of the song. The center-piece of the pregame ceremonies is the presentation of the colors and the playing of the national anthem. You’re still hijacking that moment and using it for political gain, even if you wedge the protest in before the anthem is played.

While many fans oppose the protests because of disrespect for the flag, others oppose it just because they have no desire to see politics when they go to watch a football game.

Some players will complain that, if they’re not allowed to protest during the anthem, or before it. Then when are they allowed to protest? With the implication being that there’s no other way for them to protest unless they do it during a football game. What happened to “taking it to the streets?” How did a football game go from being a place where people never protested, to suddenly becoming the only place people could protest?

Players have dozens of avenues to protest, away from the game. The only reason they’re insisting on doing it at the game is because the social justice warriors who clearly run them, are lusting after the national spotlight the NFL brings.

Nor can the Saints claim that their pre-anthem protests haven’t caused damage. In mid-October, the Saints took their pre-anthem knee, during a tribute for a slain New Orleans police officer.

Long story short, when your protest alienates veterans groups and disgraces tributes to fallen police officers, it’s probably time to find a new place to protest.

http://www.breitbart.com/sport...-protests-slap-face/

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
I don't understand.

Kaepernick escaped the oppression of pick'n footballs. The White man no longer has him in the clutches of the NFL slavery. Why would he want to go back now that he has his freedom?

JESSE JACKSON: NFL LIKE BLACK SLAVES 'PICKING COTTON BALLS' Says athletes now 'picking up footballs without freedom.

They need slave labor because these are jobs no white person would do.... Roll Eyes

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Picking up take-out, and I saw a commercial with NFL players overlapping with military people. No volume so I have no idea what they were saying.

They love the flag/pledge all of a sudden?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Report This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Even if Craperdick gets hired and the disrespect to the flag end, there will soon be another cause to protest.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Saturday night, former Dodgers announcer and Hall of Famer Vin Scully was at the Pasadena Civic Center for an event called "An Evening With Vin Scully."

At some point during the event, Scully was asked about the NFL's national anthem protests, in which players have taken a knee during the anthem to protest police brutality and racism. Scully said he "will never watch another NFL game" because of the protests.

Why I love Vin Scully! #IStand pic.twitter.com/0Fry1gMD50
— Larry Kruger (@Krug_Dog) November 5, 2017

Here is a full transcript of Scully's comments, via Deadspin:

"I have only one personal thought, really. And I am so disappointed. And I used to love, during the fall and winter, to watch the NFL on Sunday. And it's not that I'm some great patriot. I was in the Navy for a year -- didn't go anywhere, didn't do anything. But I have overwhelming respect and admiration for anyone who puts on a uniform and goes to war. So the only thing I can do in my little way is not to preach. I will never watch another NFL game."

Scully, who will turn 90 later this month, briefly served in the navy before beginning his broadcasting career. So far only one player, Athletics catcher Bruce Maxwell, has knelt during the national anthem.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
very sobering article about the NFL

http://www.nydailynews.com/spo...ak-article-1.3611146

Game of Life and Death: As concerns about CTE grow and players suffer from deadly disease, future of football looks bleak

110 0f 111 of brains of former NFL players examined showed CTE

Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) is a degenerative brain disease found in athletes, military veterans, and others with a history of repetitive brain trauma.

In CTE, a protein called Tau forms clumps that slowly spread throughout the brain, killing brain cells.

Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2484 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
Picking up take-out, and I saw a commercial with NFL players overlapping with military people. No volume so I have no idea what they were saying.

Yeah, I found it to be patronizing if that is the right word.
This could be pre-planned well in advance or it could be a counter measure to the bad publicity.
Either way it is disingenuous.
Not buying it all. Mad

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
Picture of BT2012
posted Hide Post
I stopped watching and caring about major sports as well as stopped buying any merchandise. Even well before this whole National Anthem fiasco, it's ridiculous how much it costs just to go to watch the games for any sports. When you hear how some players won't sign autographs and acting like prima donnas, who needs to spend your hard-earned money for anything relating to sports? The sports leagues only care about making money and could care less about fans. No thanks, I'd rather buy more guns and ammo as this is money well spent and it's something more tangible.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

This could be pre-planned well in advance or it could be a counter measure to the bad publicity.
Not buying it all. Mad

Disingenuous to say the least. The NFL is trying to slow down the depreciation of their product, plenty of people still watch but those salaries and seat prices are going to have to come down some.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Report This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Not buying it all. Mad

Next weekend, are they going to film all the NFL guys in khaki and orange with coach guns? "We luv huntin' and we think America is great."

Uh huh.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Next weekend, are they going to film all the NFL guys in khaki and orange with coach guns?

LOL when I read that line I pictured all the players in blaze orange with the coaches dressed in khaki holding guns sitting atop horses...like they were working a prison farm Smile

Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
quote:

The NFL tried HARD today to repair their reputation with the military. All I saw all day (yes, I still watch) was flag ceremonies, promo spots of players with servicemembers, photo ops, etc. It couldn’t have been more apparent what they were trying to do.

After learning the they had to be paid to honor vets and service members, IDGAF about any efforts they make from this point on. Not that I matter to them; I haven't watched the NFL since 1991.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Report This Post