SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games)
Page 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 109

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games) Login/Join 
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
Crazy. I wonder how they vote? Wink

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Report This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
If the NFL never played another game, the only impact it will have on my household is that we will miss the superbowl commercials the day after. That's it.

Posts: 4014 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Report This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Another weekend came and went and this time I didn't even catch a glimpse of the highlights. I simply don't care. They've successfully turned away a huge fan for life.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nojoy:
Crazy. I wonder how they vote? Wink
Probably with crayons.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
LOL...Look at these virtue-signaling pussies!

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es9eUT2tpAo

It is Ann Arbor. Not really a surprise.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
‘Thursday Night Football’ Ratings Down As Raiders Score Close Win Over Chiefs

In Week 7 of a season that has seen NFL ratings down over 15% on CBS from last year, that’s down 7% from the Philadelphia Eagles’ 28-23 October 12 win over the Carolina Panthers in the early numbers – which was down 5% from the week before.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/do...-nfl-cbs-1202191943/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
^^^ Awesome.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10921 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Can you hear us now?

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Report This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5737 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Report This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
^^ I'm sure Hank Jr is under a tight contract but he's quite conservative and I would guess he does not approve of the thug takeover.
Seems like yesterday....
quote:
ESPN pulled the song midseason in 2011, following controversial comments made by Williams on Fox News that compared then-President Barack Obama golfing with then-Rep. House Speaker John Boehner to a meeting of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Adolf Hitler. Williams also called Obama and Joe Biden "the enemy."

Link

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Report This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
The Chiefs were 4-0 when I quit watching, now 5-2. I missed it for a while, surprising how quickly I quit caring. No sting from losses anymore.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
The Chiefs were 4-0 when I quit watching, now 5-2. I missed it for a while, surprising how quickly I quit caring. No sting from losses anymore.

To stop watching football was not a big leap for me. I discovered beer tastes the same if football is on or if Gilligans Island reruns are on.
But there is a lot, A LOT of people out there that are totally invested in the NFL and will ignore this entire fiasco and continue to watch and invest money. Gambling on the games is enormous.
The parking lots at the local bars around here are still jammed on Sundays with people watching. The Monday morning office water cooler NFL chat is still vibrant everywhere I go.

When Aaron Rogers broke his collarbone you would have thought some catastrophic event happened the way everyone was talking.

The NFL maybe getting pinched a bit but they know it's going to survive this and the news cycle will move on to the next thing. It always does.

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous fall Saturday's were made for football. I have better things to do on Sunday.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:

When Aaron Rogers broke his collarbone you would have thought some catastrophic event happened the way everyone was talking.

As a Packers fan, that just made it easier for me to continue not watching the NFL this season.

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Report This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^ I'm sure Hank Jr is under a tight contract but he's quite conservative and I would guess he does not approve of the thug takeover.
Seems like yesterday....
quote:
ESPN pulled the song midseason in 2011, following controversial comments made by Williams on Fox News that compared then-President Barack Obama golfing with then-Rep. House Speaker John Boehner to a meeting of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Adolf Hitler. Williams also called Obama and Joe Biden "the enemy."

Link

I remember that. May seem like yesterday, but times certainly have changed.

Today, if he was still associated with ESPN, and compared the POTUS with Hitler, he'd be a "hero" and could then add "activist" to his resume. Roll Eyes

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
A LOT of people out there that are totally invested in the NFL and will ignore this entire fiasco and continue to watch and invest money.

Of that I never had any doubt.

Other than a few adult years watching the Detroit Red Wings, following my home team in high school, and having listened to Tiger's baseball when I was a kid, I have never watched or followed sports. Not any sports. On a regular basis somebody has asked me what I thought about this-or-that team or player or what-have-you and I tell them "I don't follow sports." "None?!?!" "Nope, none."

They look at me like I'm from another planet.

What's generally running through my mind at such times I'll forgo relating, out of consideration and respect for my fellow forum members Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Somehow I think many of the lefties are thrilled with all of this for a reason larger than the protest itself.
A real part of Americana is dying. Football, particularly the NFL was/is uniquely American.
I honestly can remember a time when as long as football was on on Sundays all was right with the world. Nothing bad could happen. Players were admired and looked up to.

Sundays were an event, something everyone looked forward to. Families and friends gathered to share food and drink and watch the big game and talk smart to one another.

Now it's become another divider, Compartmentalize everyone just a little more.
Sad in it's own way.

Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Somehow I think many of the lefties are thrilled with all of this for a reason larger than the protest itself.
A real part of Americana is dying. Football, particularly the NFL was/is uniquely American.
I honestly can remember a time when as long as football was on on Sundays all was right with the world. Nothing bad could happen. Players were admired and looked up to.

Sundays were an event, something everyone looked forward to. Families and friends gathered to share food and drink and watch the big game and talk smart to one another.

Now it's become another divider, Compartmentalize everyone just a little more.
Sad in it's own way.

Of course the mission is to destroy the fabric of America. That is how soft rebellions woek. You have to destroy what exists in order to replace it. With what? I doubt most of those loosely involved ever considered it.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Roger Goodell and Our Faltering Patriotism

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell was asked if NFL players were told to commit to standing during the national anthem, he answered: "We did not ask for that." However, he did not follow up by telling the press what the NFL did ask for. Civility? Patriotism? Respect for the fan base? Loving one’s neighbor as oneself? Loving the Lord with all your heart, all your mind, and all your strength? Goodell, it seems, thrives on pap and evasiveness. Perhaps he is emblematic of a mindset in American public life, in politics as well as big business, namely the making of vapid circumlocutions. Could it be that Americans are becoming exceedingly tired of the public vapidity of our politicians and other public figures? Could that be an element in the election of and appreciation for “The Donald?”

Previously, the Associated Press reported that 11 owners and more than a dozen players convened, and one of the topics of conversation was enhancing the players' platforms for speaking out on social issues. Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross said the session was "constructive.” On another player-related topic, Goodell also was asked about the prevalence of the degenerative brain disease CTE in NFL players. The issue of brain damage now forms the basis of a lawsuit against the league by the family of Aaron Hernandez, a former pro player convicted for murder who ultimately committed suicide in prison. He replied, "I think there's been a great deal of focus on this issue of brain trauma," [but] "we'll let the lawyers handle that and deal with it." However, he was not asked if there were any discernible connection between degenerative brain disease and refusal to stand for the singing of the National Anthem.

Peter King, writing for Sports Illustrated, believes the League is trying to negotiate for and put in place a kind of community engagement project for players. These projects might try to “highlight and sponsor work on civil rights causes in NFL communities. They would be promoting better police-community relations, or working on reduced sentencing and work-release employment programs.” In short, the NFL is considering implementing some social justice programs to placate its players who are insisting that there is considerable, intractable injustice towards the black community by the police and by the racist mindset of the justice system. Like former President Barack Obama, many of the players may believe that racism is almost part of white DNA. Since the racist DNA has not been mapped by the Human Genome Project, it may be a little difficult to prove this assumption, so the next best thing is to politicize the idea as if it were true, and then extort tens or hundreds of millions of dollars from the NFL to promote that falsehood.

In the progressive world, these anti-social players are actually johnny-come-latelies to the progressive anti-American program. Disrespect for the flag and for the nation was and is standard fare. For example, in the New York Public High Schools where this writer taught for 21 years, the National Anthem was only played or sung at graduation (almost no one knew the words). In the 1990s, I taught at one high school where the only song of allegiance played or sung was “Lift Up Your Heart and Sing” (referred to as the Black National Anthem). In another school that was more racially diverse, the students were asked to rise and say the Pledge each morning (after 9/11 -- prior to that date the Pledge had not been recited since 1966, the height of the Vietnam War protests). Ninth graders would almost all rise to say the Pledge. About half the tenth graders would stand; then, two or three in each homeroom of 11th graders; and finally, 0–1 of the seniors. Not one patriotic song like “God Bless America,” “America The Beautiful,” or “My Country Tis of Thee” was ever sung at any assembly at any time in over 20 years! Again, the National Anthem was only sung (listened to) at the graduation ceremonies.

Roger Goodell is only the most recent of gutless wonders in a long line of cave-ins to the progressive, anti-American agenda. He is a classic empty suit. He's another pretty face. He's as vapid as a bottle of formaldehyde. When I was younger, before the anti-American face of the Democrat Party fully revealed itself (undoubtedly it was apparent to those with eyes to see), the Goodell type was already appearing on the public’s screen -- vapid, self-seeking, but attractive by reason of good looks and seeming amiability (however, it is an amiability masking intense self-absorption). Moving through the years, the "Goodell types" became identified in my mind not only with vapidity but with the American thralldom with mediocrity that is the essence of our mores. We have some high achievers with incredible drive. We have creative souls who break new ground in every field of endeavor, and there are some learned ones with a high bar for moral and intellectual achievement. However, the mass culture becomes increasingly mediocre with every passing year and decade. The mediocrity is intensifying. A depressing sameness and couldn't-care-less quality is moving like glacial moraine throughout the culture.

The mediocre disguised as political correctness and so-called "social justice" keeps making headway against common sense and a true valuation of the moral and just. “Goodelism” might be a good name for the acceleration and spreading of the mediocre. A Goodellian might be called a "loser," but the essence of mediocrity is that it is too tasteless and moribund to either win or lose. It's an empty suit even when it's full.

http://www.americanthinker.com...ring_patriotism.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
“Reduced sentences...” lololololololol!

Guess how many convicted felons live in my suburb?

Guess how many live in the inner city?

These idiots will do nothing but release violent predators into the areas where the people they say they want to help are living. Morons.

I’ll simply pay a few bucks more to increase the police force in my town. What’s the plan for the poor folks who will have to live with these shit bags?