SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games)
Page 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... 109

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games) Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
The second link is last night.... and judging from the picture, I do think the intent was disrespectful of the National Anthem:

It was nice however to see the team manager placed their IQ's on their jerseys. Yeah, that's some high intellect on display right there. Everyone should care what these mental midgets think on the topic. especially while one of them sucks on a pacifier. Roll Eyes

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
sounds like NFL about to completely jump off the cliff

The NFL said on Friday it has no plans to mandate players stand for the U.S. national anthem
Good! Anything else they would do would be complete BS anyway. I prefer they show their true feelings to everyone.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
“(Goodell) has a plan that he is going to present to owners about how to use our platform to both raise awareness and make progress on issues of social justice and equality in this country,” NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart said on a conference call.

Please, Mr. Lockhart, define Social Justice for me. Thanks.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Report This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I'm not Mr. Lockhart, but I understand Social Justice to mean guaranteeing equal OUTCOMES as opposed to guaranteeing equal OPORTINITIES.

In concrete terms: If I've got a quarter and you've got a nickel than that just ain't justice. The government needs to take 10¢ away from me and give it to you.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
so football players should make median wage at about $ 70 k per year ?

Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Well, no. If YOU"VE got the quarter and I"VE got the nickel, then that's different. Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:
“(Goodell) has a plan that he is going to present to owners about how to use our platform to both raise awareness and make progress on issues of social justice and equality in this country,” NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart said on a conference call.

Please, Mr. Lockhart, define Social Justice for me. Thanks.

Goodell works for the owners. The owners are going to keep losing millions more (each) if they keep following his advice...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24109 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

Lockhart said the discussions will focus on how to use the broad platforms of the NFL, players and clubs to try and make progress on issues of equality, social justice and criminal justice reform.

Idiots are NOT learning from their mistakes - they are doubling down on the idiotic actions that caused this mess in the first place.

People clearly don't WANT politics intruding in on every aspect of life. If I want politics, I will turn on the news (I don't like political banter, so I generally don't watch much news). Now, I've never been a sports fan, but if I were, the LAST thing I would want is for my escapist pasttime to be taken over by political activism.

They had the chance to address this last season. Now, it's too late as much damage has been done. I would have thought that the sheer amount of money this is costing them would have been enough to motivate them to *fix* the problem. As the old saying goes, "If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging." The nfl now has brought in backhoes and is furiously trying to dig their way out. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to get this out there with the other posts that: "the NFL doesn't have any plans to make players stand....."

I don't plan to watch NFL football either....

If the NFL had come out and said we support Colin Kaepernick(sic?) and the rest of the players who feel likewise, I still wouldn't watch any further, but I could respect a principled stand. The NFL from day 1 has dodged, obfuscated, and generally weaseled their way around this issue, trying to have it both ways, and then scream "Trump" as it has gone off the rails.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
I would love to see the look on their faces when someone explains to them that social justice is giving up what they have to those that don't.

Idiots.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Report This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
The new strategy is to NOT show the National anthem, but the journals and fans will put it all out there...
BTW The Media hates the NFL, they love declension and concussions and longterm health issues. They have been promoting parents to NOT let their children to play football. This severely hampers the NFL feeding system, working towards their goal of NO NFL.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: downtownv,

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Report This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
So the other day Chris Carter said: White people don't want to have a conversation about this. He further said, white people don't know what it's like to be pulled over by police and keep your hands at 10 and 2 and be nervous.

Here is my entire beef and I REALLY wish I could get on national TV to debate this issue with these people in the NFL.

You say white people don't know what it's like for a black person to be pulled over by the cops. Then, in the very next breathe, you say it's different for white people. Wait. Just. A. Second. If a white person can't possibly know what it's like for black people, how, pray tell, can a black person know what it's like for white people to be pulled over?

Point of fact, my parents taught me to turn of my radio, roll my window down and keep my hands where the approaching officer can see them.

These NFL players are ASSUMING what it's like to be white. They are ASSUMING we get pulled over and slap high fives with the officer and he says, "my bad, I thought you were black, get back on your way and do your white folk stuff!"

I'm most certainly willing to have a conversation, however, I am not willing to have a conversation based on an assumption that the answer to everything is racism. What if, just indulge me for a sec here, what IF black and white people who conduct themselves the same way when stopped by police are treated in the same manner? Crazy, I know, but what if?

We just saw that unarmed white kid get shot to death by a cop in CA. There was no protest, no claim of police brutality. He earned it and now he's dead.

The conversation I want to have isn't how to fix institutional racism that is assumed to exist. No no my friends, the conversation that we must have first is one to clearly identify what is racism, what is socioeconomics and what is upbringing.

Once we have that conversation, then I will be extremely willing to spend my time, talent and treasure to get to work on doing whatever I can to end/reduce racism. So long as everything bad that happens to a black person is the fault of racism, Chris Carter is correct, I'm not interested in any conversations.

The issues of socioeconomics and upbringing is something these players can absolutely effect without any white folks. What are they doing to address the fact that something like 3 in 4 black babies are born out of wedlock? What are they doing to address the lack of parent involvement in their children's education in the inner city?

I'd like to see them use their platform to address these issues as well. As I was trained in business and as I train those below me:

If an employee has a "great idea" and they tell me what everyone else has to do to make it happen/better, then I don't really listen or invest in making it happen.

When someone tells me what THEY can do to make this great idea happen...now they have my attention.

Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
No Rishard say it ain't so...

http://profootballtalk.nbcspor...quit-a-bad-decision/

Archerman

Posts: 2486 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^^
quote:

Rishard Matthews apologizes for tweet, calling threat to quit a “bad decision”

Titans wide receiver Rishard Matthews won’t actually quit if NFL owners make a rule requiring players to stand for the national anthem as he threatened in a tweet earlier this week. But he also vows to continue his stand, so to speak, against oppression and social injustice.

“Not right now,” Matthews said, when asked if he was serious about retiring. “Let’s hope it doesn’t get to that. I know the owners have got a meeting next weekend, so hopefully it won’t get to that.

C'mon man.... stand up for what you believe!
Put all your chips (and future pay checks) in!
If you quit.... maybe it will start a trend?

What is it, 1% of college players who make it to the NFL? I'd think there will be 99 people willing to take your place, 99 people willing to stand for the National Anthem, face the flag, and put their hand over their heart.... Wink

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24109 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archerman:

That is called a "quick backem up!!".

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Down in the bayou, they call that crawfishin'. What a punk...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Well that didn't take long.
A matter of hours, right?

As far as the owners, the only strategy they have right now is to let things go on as they are, outlast it and repair the damage at a later date.
That's typically not a good strategy.
Sometimes winning is simply outlasting the bastard.
But this issue isn't one of those times.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Report This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:

What a complete idiot. He realized that he'd be making 3% of his present salary if he quit.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

What a complete idiot. He realized that he'd be making 3% of his present salary if he quit.
And he'd actually have to "work" to make it.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
http://video.foxbusiness.com/v...4001/?#sp=show-clips

NFL leftists have become political tools for Democrats: Burgess Owens

Oct. 13, 2017 - 3:29 - Former NFL player Burgess Owens on the NFL protests and President Trump’s influence over the league.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post