SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games)
Page 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 109

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games) Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I think its hugely important to note that the Lingerie Football League has come out and said they will ALL stand for the anthem.

We need to support them

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I have suddenly become completely disgusted with professional sports. The NBA jumping into this only makes it worse for me.

Could have predicted that would happen.

quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
We have season tickets to the Detroit Tigers and our VP of Marketing and Sales has already been told he will not be allowed to renew the tickets if one single Tiger takes a knee next year.

I expect that to happen, as well.

Probably won't happen in the NHL. Probably.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I pray to God it won't happen, but I don't see this bleeding over into the NHL. The thugery level in the NHL is waaaaaaaaaaay below that of the NBA or NFL. In fact, you almost NEVER hear of any impropriety of NHL players. Not to say it never happens......

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
This is a good one

http://www.breitbart.com/sport...linking-arms-anthem/

Aaron Rodgers (QB, Green Bay):

“This is about equality. This is about unity and love and growing together as a society and starting a conversation around something that may be a little bit uncomfortable for people."

“But we’ve got to come together and talk about these things and grow as a community, as a connected group of individuals in our society, and we’re going to continue to show love and unity, and this week we’re going to ask the fans to join in as well and come together and show people that we can be connected and we can grow together.”

wow. sounds really nice doesn't it?

Aaron Rodgers hasn't talked to his parents or brothers in several years. Big family blow up over a romance he was having.

So Aaron doesn't talk to his own family, but he can lecture us about "starting a conversation around something that may be a little bit uncomfortable for people"

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
This whole "starting a conversation" thing is of course complete bullshit, because anyone with balls enough to actually have an honest conversation about policing and "the community" will be labeled a racist and dismissed.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Report This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I pray to God it won't happen, but I don't see this bleeding over into the NHL. The thugery level in the NHL is waaaaaaaaaaay below that of the NBA or NFL. In fact, you almost NEVER hear of any impropriety of NHL players. Not to say it never happens......

I'm guessing the league has already communicated to their players on this. The NHL does not have the luxury of the enormous fan base the NFL does. The NFL can take this hit and will survive.
The NHL can't afford to lose ANY fans and survive. If anything if they do it right they stand to peel off some of those NFL fans.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
This whole "starting a conversation" thing is of course complete bullshit, because anyone with balls enough to actually have an honest conversation about policing and "the community" will be labeled a racist and dismissed.

Exactly.
The last thing they want is an honest conversation about race or crime.
By "starting a conversation" they mean "shut up and go-along to get-along".
It's PC for SHUT UP!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24109 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The NHL can't afford to lose ANY fans and survive. If anything if they do it right they stand to peel off some of those NFL fans.

The Blues have certainly gained fans in St. Louis after the Rams left town.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24109 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
After doing a Google search, I found several places that list major NFL sponsors and their position regarding the "kneeling" controversy. All I can say is I found the Sponsors positions to be pretty pathetic. I have already written to some. If enough unhappy folks contact these sponsors it might have some impact.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Report This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid there was flag burning (the 70's) and using the flag to make a demonstration has a long history. I also remember Monzano monzano toutingt the American and Mexican flag when the USA was wining the medal. Asshole.
I also remember the Dixie Chicks. it wasnt that they were not for the war, it's what they said, and where they said it and then a whole lot of bad decisions after that.
Rogers, and anyone else can claim "conversation needs to happen" that is fine.I dont watch anymore.
NFL not enforcing there own code is hypocrisy.
NFL players can do whatever they want. IF they want to do this crap then fine.
Bob costas wants to keep ranting during his halftime monologue. that is fine. I dont watch anymore.
But you know what, choosing the anthem, was a wrong move. It is mean spirited. but you knew that, so I dont watch anymore.

So I do not have to watch, buy, or participate in any way. And i will not be made to feel the racist because you chose to shit yourself over the BLM last year, and then you thought I gave a damn because your a football player. No I dont.
I quit watching the NBA when it became less about folks like David Robinson and more about shit holes like Rodman (he did play a hella defense, but damn thats a lot of bagage).
Maybe the MLB starts up in October, kneeling. then that too will no longer be watched.
You want to be a fool and do your antifa, BLM bullshit. fine It is America (for now) afterall. But I do not have to watch. I do not think you will miss me. And that is ok.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Well just when I thought the NHL couldn't possibly be this stupid there apparently are players considering kneeling or some other form of protest. Only fools rush in....

Link

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
If you come to the Smokies don't waste your time looking for NFL gear at the Great Smoky Mountains Mall!

https://www.facebook.com/Great...54h1DM7iq4ms&fref=nf

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm guessing the league has already communicated to their players on this. The NHL does not have the luxury of the enormous fan base the NFL does. The NFL can take this hit and will survive.

Considering that only 5% of the NHL is black, as compared to 70% of the NFL and 74% of the NBA, the numbers for "racial solidarity" just aren't there.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Report This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
By "starting a conversation" they mean "shut up and go-along to get-along".
It's PC for SHUT UP!

^^^Exactly. Their "conversations" all begin: Repeat after me....

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well we had the "Broad Street Bullies" (Philadelphia Flyers) in the '80's and only thugery they did was beat up on the opposing team.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Well just when I thought the NHL couldn't possibly be this stupid there apparently are players considering kneeling or some other form of protest. Only fools rush in....

Link

*sigh* Guess I was wrong... <smhs>

Good thing (for me) I no longer watch NHL hockey.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Thanks to his asshattery, I've not got to have a conversation with our club's ownership and our archery team. We've got the AZ State Outdoor Championship next month. As with all archery tournaments, the national anthem is played at the beginning of the tournament.

I'm not expecting any kneeling or protesting from our club, but I've got to be proactive about it just in case there is. Not only on what our club's policy and reaction will be but also how to deal with other club's and individuals who may not share the same views.

So thank you NFL for causing me to have a conversation with my team, parents and club ownership on what it means to be respectful of our flag.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
West Virginia AG:

#NFL players should be down on both knees thanking god they live in country allowing them to make millions while showing such disrespect.

"Senator Manchin has sided with his liberal friends countless times over West Virginia’s conservative values...Now, his silence in the face of deep disrespect to our national symbol is further proof that he will not stand with West Virginia. As a senator, Sen. Manchin owes it to the people of West Virginia to tell them where he stands. Does he stand with his liberal whining activist buddies, or does he stand with our veterans and thousands of patriotic West Virginians?”

3 days later:

Manchin:

"This is something that the owners have to address...[they have to] step in here and say, 'I'm not going to tolerate it'... I think everyone should stand and show reflect for the flag that represents the greatest nation on earth."

In an amazing coincidence, Sen Manchin is up for reelection a year from now.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
In an amazing coincidence, Sen Manchin is up for reelection a year from now.

He'll go into full McCain mode from now to the election. He'll run to the right of Atilla the Hun and as soon as he gets elected he will return to Schumer's back pocket.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
I think this is more personal to many of those kneeling than BLM and Michael Brown.
They say it is about Police oppression of the blackman.

With the statistics on arrests for NFL players, I am certain that many of these thugs feel that they specifically have been oppressed by the police.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Report This Post