SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games)
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 109

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games) Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
The National Football League and its 32 teams made $1.25 billion from corporate partners last year, according to sponsorship tracker ESP Properties. The list includes some of the advertising world’s biggest spenders. Visa Inc., Ford Motor Co., Nike Inc., Anheuser-Busch InBev, Microsoft Corp., McDonald’s Corp., PepsiCo Inc. and Bridgestone Corp. are among the league’s top-tier partners and almost all have remained silent on what was possibly the most political and polarizing Sunday in recent league history.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...p-s-call-for-boycott

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Shit I'll never get a new Truck

Can't get a GM/Chevy - Bailout money for unions
Can't get a Mopar - Fiat owned, paid for by taxpayers bailout
Cant buy Jap, they bombed Pearl Harbor
Now I can't buy a Ford - damn Football aholes
No Korean Pickups yet - so that's out...

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't watch any football yesterday. Oh well

Yeah, the Broncos are in the tank on this, as well. Sad.

Oh well, fall is my favorite time of year, and I would rather spend my weekend days outside enjoying it - away from a politicized game and network (ESPN). Don't need a fucking lecture. The NFL can rot as far as I'm concerned. This also goes for the Superbowl....which should be played on Saturday anyway.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
I stopped watching all pro-sports, except hockey.

Are the Flyers even a pro team or more like fantasy camp?

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Come Superbowl time, are we going to stick to your guns? Or will we have by that time managed to rationalize the childish behavior of these clueless spoiled brats?

No games and no Superbowl and especially no patronage of their advertisers.

Are we serious about this? If so, no pro football means just that, which means no Superbowl party at your house and you won't attend one if invited elsewhere.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Come Superbowl time, are we going to stick to your guns? Or will we have by that time managed to rationalize the childish behavior of these clueless spoiled brats?

Are we serious about this? If so, no pro football means just that, which means no Superbowl party at your house and you won't attend one if invited elsewhere.

Serious as can be. Wrote a nice fuck off email to my Raiders this morning and said that after 4 decades of support, I'm done.

It's not hard to break the umbilical cord if you have solid principles.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Report This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Dead freakin serious.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^
Yep, that's what "No NFL" means to me. Nothing watched, purchased, or supported in any way.

By SuperBowl time my new "No NFL" habit will be completely ingrained so that doing the right thing will be an unconscious act.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I will not support the companies who support the NFL and their children.

very well said

All well and good, but that is a VERY long list. Better get busy figuring out whose products and services you have to flush. Ford, Chevrolet, Pepsi (lots of food products), Nike, VISA, Kia, Geico, McDonalds, Mercedes Benz (damn near every car maker), Verizon, Bridgestone, Microsoft, Anheuser Busch/InBev, . . . there must be dozens or even hundreds of advertisers. I found those in about 30 seconds on Google.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cant buy Jap, they bombed Pearl Harbor

How about you just can't buy a Mitsubishi?

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's why I said earlier it needs to start now. Companies that advertise at and around the Super Bowl need to know well in advance that no one is coming. They'll be a lot less inclined to buy $2M/min spots if they know only 50,000 nation wide will be watching as opposed to 100 million. Deny the NFL that money and they will certainly take notice.

Total Boycott of superbowl tickets so those in the city where it is being hosted need to know too so they can make alternative plans with no one coming. If you've already booked, go and have a good time doing something else.

Total boycott of all super bowl clothing and memorabilia so vendors realize they'll get stuck with it, won't make it and thus less money for the NFL.

Pull that money from the NFL and now you'll see them change how they operate. They're banking on this being a short term pressure release that everyone will forget come playoff time.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
All well and good, but that is a VERY long list. Better get busy figuring out whose products and services you have to flush. Ford, Pepsi (lots of food products), Nike, VISA, Microsoft . . . there must be dozens or even hundreds of advertisers.
So, you suggest...what? Not making any effort at all?

"Oh, so many advertisers, so let's make no effort at all. Let's just not even try."

Is that what you're suggesting? Sure seems that way.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:

.... Wrote a nice fuck off email to my Raiders this morning and said that after 4 decades of support, I'm done.

It won't work. I've been saying that to and about the Raiders for 45 years, long before there was e-mail.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:

.... Wrote a nice fuck off email to my Raiders this morning and said that after 4 decades of support, I'm done.

It won't work. I've been saying that to and about the Raiders for 45 years, long before there was e-mail.

You're just still pissed off at the Holy Roller.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
All well and good, but that is a VERY long list. Better get busy figuring out whose products and services you have to flush. Ford, Pepsi (lots of food products), Nike, VISA, Microsoft . . . there must be dozens or even hundreds of advertisers.
So, you suggest...what? Not making any effort at all?

"Oh, so many advertisers, so let's make no effort at all. Let's just not even try."

Is that what you're suggesting? Sure seems that way.

What I am saying is: how do you pick? I don't think there is anyone with the willpower to jettison every NFL advertiser from their lives. There are too many, in too many segments of the market that are nearly ubiquitous.

I am suggesting that almost everyone will have some buying preference that they just won't be willing to flush to cut off the NFL. "Well, I can't not use my VISA card." "Or, I really want a new F150." So people will pick and choose in arbitrary ways that simply fit their personal choices - cutting off some advertisers and not others. Which makes it fairly hypocritical and not effective.

If any one does the work and goes all in, then my hat is off to them.

But saying, "I won't buy a Chevy because they advertise on football" while buying a new Jeep makes it kind of a joke, doesn't it?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
ESPN talk radio in Vegas was blasting the President for his comments and then opened up the phone lines: 75% either supported the President or said "1st Amendment doesn't apply at the workplace".
They went to break and changed the subject.

Hah!

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, I get it, jhe. It's all a joke to n you, because you find it laughable that anyone would even make an effort to let advertisers know how they feel. Yeah, I get it- you don't want to hlp and you think anyone who tries to have an effect on this matter by voting with their dollars, is a fool. That's what you're saying

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
RE: Boycotts

It's also possible that the ratings will collapse to a point where it's no longer as profitable to advertise. People are tired of their bullshit and will stop watching. I don't necessarily have to change my cheese product to have a positive influence on this.

My kid wanted to turn the Lions on yesterday. I told him no and offered to play catch outside instead.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Report This Post