SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games)
Page 1 ... 104 105 106 107 108 109 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games) Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
I didn't watch, but Alejandro Villanueva (retired US Army Ranger Captain, Bronze Star), the starting left tackle for the Steelers, put the name of Sergeant First Class Alwyn Cashe on the back of his helmet. Sgt Cashe was posthumously awarded the Silver Star for rescuing six soldiers from a burning Bradley Fighting Vehicle while on fire himself. Villanueva went against the rest of the team which had another name.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Report This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
The numbers alone don’t tell the whole story of the true decline either.

Remember there are way fewer people in bars watching the games on those TVs. And most of the stadiums are either completely empty, or near empty. There are hundreds of thousands more people at home this year than there were last year and the numbers are still way down. Add to it that fans aren’t able to as easily get their fix with college and high school football, and the lack of a preseason, football fans have never had fewer options. And they still didn’t watch.

If stadiums and bars were full with people watching there and there was a preseason and every college team was playing then I bet we’d have seen an even larger drop in ratings.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Lifelong Denver Broncos fan here. And I'm out. Broncos played tonight on MNF, and I didn't watch. Why? This right here:

You're going to make me pick sides? Ok, click. It's off.

They made the coach Nick Fanjino apologize for saying this: "I don't see racism at all in the NFL. I don't see discrimination in the NFL," Fangio added. "... We're lucky. We all live together, joined as one, for one common goal, and we all intermingle and mix tremendously. If society reflected an NFL team, we'd all be great."

Fangio made an apology on Wednesday. “After reflecting on my comments yesterday and listening to the players this morning, I realize what I said regarding racism and discrimination in the NFL was wrong. While I have never personally experienced those terrible things first-hand during my 33 years in the NFL, I understand that many players, coaches and staff have different perspectives," he said.

Here's my perspective: I'm out. The game has sucked for a while. It takes four hours to play, two hours of which are literally commercials. You can't hit, can't tackle, can't score or complete a punt without a fucking penalty. The product sucks.

And know you want to lecture me about my privilege?

Click.

Posts: 3015 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
The numbers alone don’t tell the whole story of the true decline either.

Remember there are way fewer people in bars watching the games on those TVs. And most of the stadiums are either completely empty, or near empty. There are hundreds of thousands more people at home this year than there were last year and the numbers are still way down. Add to it that fans aren’t able to as easily get their fix with college and high school football, and the lack of a preseason, football fans have never had fewer options. And they still didn’t watch.

If stadiums and bars were full with people watching there and there was a preseason and every college team was playing then I bet we’d have seen an even larger drop in ratings.

That's an interesting point. The ratings are going down even with all the fans who'd normally be watching in bars being forced to watch at home. You make a good point about the 500k fans who'd normally be in 8 stadiums as well. That's a lot of people home in front of the TV who normally wouldn't be.

I'm really curious to see what the drop off will be for week two. The NFLPA and owners agreed to a $198 million cap next year with a $175 million floor because of empty stadiums. If ratings keep dropping you'd have to think that translates to merchandise and other sources of revenue. Owners aren't going to quietly eat that, so there could be some friction coming when they ask to lower the cap floor even more.

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
No Fu@king Love. NFL Sunday night game between two marquee teams Had 14M viewers as opposed to last Years Sunday night opener of 22M. That’s a good hit to start. Hope to see further erosion. Most Americans have grown weary of the antics taking place in Northern cities. It ain’t gonna end nicely..

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Report This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Monday Night Football ratings down 17%.

As I said a page or so ago this first Monday night matchup is more telling to me than the Thursday or Sunday night games because it featured two of the most popular teams nationwide, the Steelers and the Giants. The Steelers QB was out for most of last season and this was his return.

This game dropping that much in ratings is a big deal.

There was one game that did really well which was Tampa Bay vs. Saints. If you don’t follow NFL football you won’t understand why but that game was a huge game (popularity wise) because of several off-season moves by Tampa Bay and featured arguably the two best QBs in the game. I’m not surprised it did well. I’ll bet if a lot of former fans only watch one game all year it was that game, just to see how Tampa Bay did with the new roster against the Saints. I didn’t watch it, but I read the stat sheet and the drive summaries after because I really wanted to see what happened.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pale Horse,

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
So they made a coach apologize for being pro NFL... the organization that made all.of these fucking low lives millionaires.

He deserves what he gets for apologizing.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
more about the Pittsburgh Steelers

https://twitchy.com/brads-3130...ht-social-pandering/

while the league proposal said that there would be a variety of names permitted, the Pittsburgh Steelers decided as a team they would all wear the same name. There was a victim of a police shooting in 2018 in the Pittsburgh area – Antwon Rose Jr.

Rose was the passenger in a car during a traffic stop. As he was fleeing the police opened fire and killed Rose in the process.

Steelers:
We don’t want him to be forgotten.

For the 2020 season, we unite as one and will wear a single name on the back of our helmets – Antwon Rose Jr.

It has been learned that Antwon Rose Jr. had been been recently involved in a drive-by shooting.

The car he was in had been pulled over not for a routine moving violation but as a felony traffic stop. It fit the description called in from the shooting, and they were pulled over minutes after.

Rose had a gun in his possession when shot, and two other weapons were found in the car.

One of the guns had been stolen during an armed robbery earlier that day. It seems rather curious that the team would be unaware of details such as these given the events occurred over two years ago and could be researched prior to making their decision.

Pittsburgh chose poorly

posted Hide Post
quote:
Pittsburgh chose poorly

Apparently Villanueva, and Pouncey did not.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Report This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

It seems rather curious that the team would be unaware of details such as these given the events occurred over two years ago and could be researched prior to making their decision.

You think those morons actually put any real THOUGHT into these SJW virtue-signaling episodes? I don't think they get past "Black man shot by police" and make up their minds. I bet MOST of those players and blm pukes don't care about the facts, don't care that the dead guy was a dirtbag, and don't care that it was a text-book justified shooting.

This is why I despise them so much. They don't care about the truth.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Bengals and the Browns last night? Anyone know how much the ratings dropped for that one? Had to be horrible.

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Bengals and the Browns last night? Anyone know how much the ratings dropped for that one? Had to be horrible.

It usually takes a day or so, but I’ll be surprised if this one did well at all. Two mediocre teams who likely won’t make the playoffs, both from Ohio. I honestly forgot it was even on.

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
The NFL is in the process of renegotiating their TV contract. This seasons rating are even more important. If the networks kill them over these ratings then changes will almost certainly be made.

Link

quote:
NFL and broadcast networks are in the process of renegotiating their media deals, the majority of which will expire after the 2022 season. The league is hoping to double their fees and as the most powerful annual driver of live-viewership, they hold the leverage. But the broadcast networks will use any and all ratings declines to bolster their negotiating power.

As the No. 1 most-watched television program across the country, NFL rights unsurprisingly cost networks a fortune. Yet there seems to be something of a disparity when it comes to return on investment versus cost. According to Variety, yearly fees shake out to:

Monday Night Football (ESPN): $1.9 billion
NFL Sunday Ticket (AT&T): $1.5 billion
NFC Sunday Afternoon (Fox): $1.1 billion
AFC Sunday Afternoon (CBS): $1.0 billion
Sunday Night Football (NBC): $950 million
Thursday Night Football (Fox): $660 million
Digital and Streaming: $570 million

All told, the NFL is generating nearly $8 billion in annual revenue from its TV deals alone. However, the advertising revenue generated by each network pales in comparison in some instances, according to iSpot.

Fox ($2.0 billion)
CBS ($1.5 billion)
NBC ($1.5 billion)
ESPN ($500 million)

The Disney-owned ESPN is currently shelling out the most money for NFL TV rights ($1.9 billion) for the least-watched weekly game (12.5 million) and the smallest chunk of advertising revenue ($500 million). Yet the Mouse House is rumored to be pushing for additional NFL TV rights for ABC as well as a spot in the yearly Super Bowl broadcast network rotation. The Super Bowl can generate $500 million-plus in ad revenue alone. Meanwhile, the ViacomCBS merger has left CBS with thinning margins compared to its competitors, putting them in an impossible situation when it comes to the cost/reward of NFL broadcasts.

Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
With some of the nostalgic posts about yesteryear, some of you guys obviously are missing it pretty bad.

I quit during the original Krapperdick period and I felt the same way many describe. Like many here, I truly grew up on football, pop warner to high school. My brothers are completely football-centric. One paid for college with a football scholarship and has been a h.s. head football coach since 1982. It was immersion, from my earliest memory, and a big part of my life and my family. I used to legitimately love it. The kneeling made me realize just how much the whole thing had really changed over the years and I realized I didn't like it anymore, and hadn't for years. Even without the kneeling. I figured out this process started decades ago with free agency.

Now, I don't miss it one bit. Feels like I quit smoking or something. I am weened. So it can be done, you miserable pudknockers. Big Grin

Posts: 7250 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:

It usually takes a day or so, but I’ll be surprised if this one did well at all. Two mediocre teams who likely won’t make the playoffs, both from Ohio. I honestly forgot it was even on.

Sadly it was about even with last year's first Thursday night game. I truly did not know there was a game on until I saw this thread move back up to the top. I still haven't watched a down of football this year on any level.

The NFL Network's first midweek telecast of the season is on par with last year.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

Sadly it was about even with last year's first Thursday night game. I truly did not know there was a game on until I saw this thread move back up to the top. I still haven't watched a down of football this year on any level.

The NFL Network's first midweek telecast of the season is on par with last year.

Yeah, but last years game had low ratings too. This years game was 5% down from the 2018 week two game.

posted Hide Post
I was a Wildwood boardwalk last week. 11 A.M. and the pole mounted loudspeakers are playing the National Anthem. Everyone stops what they are doing, many scanning the horizon for old glory. Hands and hats over their hearts, showing respect for our nation. It took me by surprise as I wasn't expecting this to occur. I didn't see anyone kneeling.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Benjamin Allbright tweeted the boycott crowd is failing because streaming is up big along with merchandise sales. I don't buy that. He doesn't site any sources or give any numbers. That just sounds like propaganda to me because if they had higher numbers I'd think they'd be showing them off.

https://twitter.com/AllbrightN...52498583558%3Fs%3D21

Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Angry Cops covers Troy Aikman and Joe Buck MOCK Military "Fly-Overs":

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Report This Post