SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Back in NC....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back in NC.... Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
Littlest kid and I drove 1000 miles back to NC to visit my mom n dad in Franklin. Traffic wasn’t bad, Atlanta was a parking lot at 85&75(to be expected).

We’ve been here two days and I’m loving the cool air and beautiful scenery, truly this is a little slice of heaven.

Funny thing happened yesterday, some lady my mom knows asks me if I wanna buy a S&W 459...I took a look but am not really interested so I passed. Weird, just outta the blue.

Took the kid to the local swimming pool for a few hours..man that water was cold.

Seen a few fawns around t he house too.

Turning out to be a good vacation.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nice

i relocated to FL recently for work

hoping to get back to NC in ~5 yrs

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Its like we switched places...I just moved (back, since days in Chapel Hill for college) to NC from TX (N of Houston) last Summer

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^^lol, we are in Temple now with Mrs Mikes corporate HQ...since school is out I figured it would be nice to visit my parents, cause I know my dad will never drive that far again( they came in November of last year and complained about the loss of work he was suffering to visit me )

Jim, we moved from Wilson last year, a good friend works for the Cary PD and I have an acquaintance who works for Raleigh PD.

And just saw three deer walking along the ridge just above the house here...beautiful, and cool air

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
LOL. The cool air of NC!

That is one of the things I most certainly did not relish about the state.

I guess that means TX must be way worse! Eek

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Nice cool air until those summer temps and humidity kick in then it’s a swampy hell. At least it was where I grew up near Burlington.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Mike thats excellent...when I was in school we got Bill's BBQ in Wilson for parties all the time. I was sad to learn Bill Ellis passed away and Bill's has closed. I like the area you are in now...before we moved to NC my wife and I were looking at land out Caldwell-Cameron-Rockdale area.

I met one Cary PD officer so far, he's the resource officer for my daughter's HS...super guy.

I miss certain things about living in TX (like $10 prime NY Strips at HEB) and a gun store on every corner (virtually), and I have a daughter finishing up at UT Austin, but my wife and I both love it here.

quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
^^^lol, we are in Temple now with Mrs Mikes corporate HQ...since school is out I figured it would be nice to visit my parents, cause I know my dad will never drive that far again( they came in November of last year and complained about the loss of work he was suffering to visit me )

Jim, we moved from Wilson last year, a good friend works for the Cary PD and I have an acquaintance who works for Raleigh PD.

And just saw three deer walking along the ridge just above the house here...beautiful, and cool air

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Just days ago it was 90 and the ground was hard and dry cracked.
You arrived at a good time.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
LOL. The cool air of NC!

OAT, my mom n dad live in the mountains and its currently 75 outside and a cool breeze going...

loving it

posted Hide Post
Spent 8 months in NC. Didn’t think much of the summers compared to GA low country or Florida.

But it has been a state I thought seriously about relocating to. Wife and kids say no just because.

Posts: 1746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Augen, I grew up in Tampa until I was 16, then moved to the mountains of NC (didn't like it then). joined the service lived in Fla, Ga, SC, NC by the coast VA and then took a cop job in eastern NC (Wilson-east of Raleigh) I lived there for 18 years and last year moved to central Texas....I know heat and humidity...I'm loving the cool breezes here in the mountains of western NC.

Eventually I'd like to move back here when Mrs. Mike retires or we win the lottery and can buy a whole mountain.

The weather in eastern vs western NC are night and day...

Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Well I'm in the mom and dad crowd and loving the cool mountain air, currently 68 at 7:30PM~ and low humidity. We are in the southwest corner of the state, Murphy and loving it...

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Sig229, we are in Franklin...it’s great tonight isn’t it?

And tomorrow we’re are taking the Tomminator to Bryson City to ride a train...hope he likes it.

And Mrs Mike is back in Texas, working....

Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Augen, I grew up in Tampa until I was 16, then moved to the mountains of NC (didn't like it then). joined the service lived in Fla, Ga, SC, NC by the coast VA and then took a cop job in eastern NC (Wilson-east of Raleigh) I lived there for 18 years and last year moved to central Texas....I know heat and humidity...I'm loving the cool breezes here in the mountains of western NC.

Eventually I'd like to move back here when Mrs. Mike retires or we win the lottery and can buy a whole mountain.

Yep , weather is great tonite but heat and humidity will be back. I live between Wilson and Greenville. Love the mountains .

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sig229, we are in Franklin...it’s great tonight isn’t it?

It is indeed, cool and windy!! we have some similarities, I grew up in Jacksonville, did the military thing, went into corporate life in Atlanta, retired early, went sailing in the Bahamas for 5 years and moved to St. Pete, then here!! Loving life....

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
We were setting new high records a couple of weeks ago.

Now it's rained for a week straight.

Don't worry...the heat and humidity will be back if you hang out long enough.

I grew up working in a tobacco farm in the foothills of NC. Hot and humid and hated it. Spent a good deal of time in central Florida as well (Paisley/Umatilla). Not sure which was more miserable.

I love air conditioning.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by got2hav1:
quote:
I grew up in Tampa until I was 16, then moved to the mountains of NC (didn't like it then). joined the service lived in Fla, Ga, SC, NC by the coast VA and then took a cop job in eastern NC (Wilson-east of Raleigh) I lived there for 18 years and last year moved to central Texas....I know heat and humidity...I'm loving the cool breezes here in the mountains of western NC.

Yep , weather is great tonite but heat and humidity will be back. I live between Wilson and Greenville. Love the mountains .

Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Hi. South Carolina is full. We had to clear out a lot of land for the PSA wagon trains. All y'all progun types please keep relocating to North Carolina. Big Grin

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yes those mountains would be a great place. We have some friends that moved Orlando to Greensboro a few years ago now thinking of moving to Tampa and another set to move to NC in 2 years. They want to know where to move to. I’m thinking mountains.

Posts: 1746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first experience with North Carolina was in my Marine Corps days at Camp Lejeune & Geiger. We always wanted to return to NC but it took us longer than expected. We've been back now 24-Yrs. Everybody talks mountains but we settled for the foothills. Our county of residence is basically rural but its starting to change a little bit with the passage of years. We are adjacent to a recreation area which has its positives and negatives.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post