SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nasa's next Mars rover will be called Perseverance
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nasa's next Mars rover will be called Perseverance Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Are we expecting to see or find something different there this time?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I’m just glad it’s not named George Floyd or blm or some other stupid shit.

Oh look, politics, just what we need!

damn,

I read that and heard his voice

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:

Marvin maybe,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They think the crater is an ancient lake bed so the chances of finding microbial life should be better.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I'm sure I'm not paying enough attention but why are the photos I've seen so far been in black and white?

One of the early landers had a color chart on it. The photos were 1s and 0s but computers were able to read the chart to get the correct colors. My memory is the first shots are always b&w

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
The first two photos taken were shot through the red filter only and still had the debris covers in place.

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“Ingenuity, the mini-helicopter attached to NASA's Perseverance Mars rover, has sent its first status update to Earth in a milestone ahead of the first attempt at powered flight on the Red Planet…”

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic...tus-report-Mars.html

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
Video footage from Perseverance Rover’s Descent and Touchdown on Mars

That's just pretty dang cool Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4czjS9h4Fpg

Posts: 482 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, the footage from the descent and touchdown is the stuff of science fiction. The quality of the images is almost too good to be believed. Truly fantastic.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do you expect to see or find something different if you get off a plane in Sydney, as opposed to one landing in Moscow?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
We put the first lander on Mars in July 1976 and it’s simply amazing to see how far we have come in that time - even considering Spirit and Opportunity - huge leaps in capability.

Can’t wait to see video from the helicopter.

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
'Perseverance got us to Mars. With Ingenuity, we soar higher': NASA's Mars helicopter successfully flies on the Red Planet marking the first time a powered flight has been completed on another planet

“NASA's Ingenuity Mars helicopter has become the first craft to complete a powered flight on another world, according to NASA, after waiting three hours for the data to travel the 180 million miles from the Red Planet.

Taking off at exactly 08:34 BST, it climbed up to 10ft in the air, maintained a stable hover for 30 seconds before descending and touching back down on the surface of Mars. It spent 39.1 seconds in flight, NASA said…”

https://mol.im/a/9485637

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
quote:

Do you expect to see or find something different if you get off a plane in Sydney, as opposed to one landing in Moscow?
I don't think that they have very many wallabies and boomerangs and stuff like that in Moscow. Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“NASA's Ingenuity Mars rotorcraft has set new records for flight altitude and distance on the Red Planet, completing its fifth successful flight test.

In the flight on Friday, Ingenuity reached an altitude of 33 feet on its first one-way journey from Wright Brothers Field to an airfield 423 feet to the south, which has not yet been named…”

https://mol.im/a/9556193

Serious about crackers

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Should be called the Glenn Hammond Curtiss airfield.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Got to reading about Mars. Curious about the highest elevation on the Red planet, had to catch my breath...not remembering the name, but the plateau/mountain shown in this picture is...72,000 ft high.

Olympus Mons https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_Mons
I will try to find the link.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
GTaking off at exactly 08:34 BST, it climbed up to 10ft in the air, maintained a stable hover for 30 seconds before descending and touching back down on the surface of Mars. It spent 39.1 seconds in flight, NASA said…”

https://mol.im/a/9485637

Excuse my ignorance, but is it correct to call Mars atmosphere «air»? Shouldn't this be above ground level or something like that?

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post