SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nasa's next Mars rover will be called Perseverance
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nasa's next Mars rover will be called Perseverance Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Good image in the article.

“The American space agency has a new name for the rover it will be sending to the Red Planet this summer.

To date, the project has been known only by its code name - Mars 2020. From now on, it will be referred to as the Perseverance rover.

The name came out of a schools competition that drew 28,000 entries.

The Perseverance rover will begin the process of trying to bring rocks back to Earth for study.

It will trundle through an equatorial crater, looking for the best samples it can cache for retrieval by a later mission…”

www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51761833

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
The Perseverance rover will begin the process of trying to bring rocks back to Earth for study.

This is how the whole zombie virus thing is going to start.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Not AMEE ?

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Not AMEE ?

HA! I thought of the same movie when I got to the 'cache rocks for later retrieval' portion of the article.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1745 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is how the whole zombie virus thing is going to start.

I was thinking the Andromeda Strain; the mission isn't being referred to as Project Wildfire by any chance, is it?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Or, the rocks are fine and it’s that tiny smear of green (or probably in this case, red) slime that causes the problem when they start testing it.

The Green Slime The Green Slime, 1968.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Andy Weir and Hollywood make travel to Mars seem easy.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
The American space agency has a new name for the rover it will be sending to the Red Planet this summer.

To date, the project has been known only by its code name - Mars 2020. From now on, it will be referred to as the Perseverance rover.

I would have thought that “Red Rover” would have been a given.

Leastwise, it wasn’t white in color.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Andy Weir and Hollywood make travel to Mars seem easy.

Then The Expanse slapped some reality back into focus.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Miscalculated would be a better name for it! Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
NASA announced it lost communication with the Perseverance rover hours after launch

However, NASA says this has happened before and said things are still in great shape

“Following the successful launch of the Perseverance rover to Mars, NASA reveals it is now experiencing a communication issue.

Nearly three hours after the vehicle took off from Cape Canaveral Florida aboard a United Launch Alliances Atlas V rocket the ground team was unable to tap into the rover's signal through the deep space network, which is designed to capture very faint carrier waves.

NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstein shared the news in a post launch conference: 'The space craft right now is in deep space, it is a good distance from the Earth, but it is not the distance that we would normally be receiving from using the deep space network.'”

https://mol.im/a/8575415

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rumor has it that they're just prepositioning the car so that Matt Damon will have something to drive when he gets there.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
It was a beautiful launch.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
NASA re-establishes communication with Perseverance rover following a signal loss just two hours after it launched for Mars - and officials say 'all signs point to good health'

NASA announced it lost communication with the Perseverance rover hours after launch

The team has since revealed it has capture the signal of the rover, which appears to be in good health

The team uses a Deep Space Network to collect signals from the craft, but will rework to gather data

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sc...on-launch-TODAY.html

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Rover endeavors to persevere.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm surprised it wasn't named "Rover McRoverface." I think they are getting smart when it comes to the "let's let the public name our multi-million dollar asset' deals.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:

I'm surprised it wasn't named "Rover McRoverface." I think they are getting smart when it comes to the "let's let the public name our multi-million dollar asset' deals.

To be fair, it was probably the only suitable entry, the other 27,999 entries probably were something like Rover McRoverface, and AdolfHitler42069, and other crude words for one's anatomy and/or race of origin. Is Golden Palace still a thing? Because there was probably 9 entries for that.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Rover endeavors to persevere.

I had to think about that for a long time.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
You know, for the purchase price, they coulda thrown a set of 12" moons on that baby.

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Everything has got cool sounding names, like Q invented it, except Drill.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post