SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nasa's next Mars rover will be called Perseverance
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nasa's next Mars rover will be called Perseverance Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
Everything has got cool sounding names, like Q invented it, except Drill.

Yeah, they have paid attention to marketing and 'brand awareness' and apparently are expecting a lot of public interest/support.

The names sound like they came out of a PIXAR movie - like a new movie with Wall-E having mad-cap hijinks with Moxie the Oxygen generator, Rimfax the ground-penetrating Radar, Pixl, the spectrometer. . . That is a LOT more appealing than the normal (and boring) 'scientific' names.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21838 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Everything has got cool sounding names, like Q invented it, except Drill.

Yeah, they have paid attention to marketing and 'brand awareness' and apparently are expecting a lot of public interest/support.

The names sound like they came out of a PIXAR movie - like a new movie with Wall-E having mad-cap hijinks with Moxie the Oxygen generator, Rimfax the ground-penetrating Radar, Pixl, the spectrometer. . . That is a LOT more appealing than the normal (and boring) 'scientific' names.

"Rimfax" sounds like something you do with your butt and a copier.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, I noticed that it almost sounds like a dirty/shameful act one doesn't talk about in polite company.

Still, Rimfax is a LOT better name than NLMcDHFARFWGPR,* which is often how the scientist types name things. I think after the Mars Opportunity Rover saga "My battery is getting low and it's getting dark," the scientific community took notice. It is hard to get excited about robot probes (nobody would have cared nearly as much if Buzz and Neil had been robotic probes landing on the moon). By 'humanizing' them, it is a lot easier to generate interest.

*NASA/Langley/McDonnell-Douglass High Frequency Alternate Resonating Free Wave Ground Penetrating Radar - I just made that all up.

Posts: 21838 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Live broadcast of the landing attempt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm0b_ijaYMQ

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Well done NASA/JPL!!!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
It's already sending back photos! Cool

Posts: 1780 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
have they said where it landed?

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
have they said where it landed?

Mars, I think. . .

Wink

According to NASA.gov,

Some 28 miles (45 kilometers) wide, Jezero Crater sits on the western edge of Isidis Planitia, a giant impact basin just north of the Martian equator. Scientists have determined that 3.5 billion years ago the crater had its own river delta and was filled with water.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://twitter.com/i/events/1360292319782608897

The NASA Perseverance rover landed at Mars' Jezero Crater on February 18 nearly seven months after its takeoff to the Red Planet. Perseverance becomes the fifth NASA rover to ever touch down on Mars after Sojourner, twin rovers Spirit and Opportunity and Curiosity. Perseverance will spend the coming years scouring for signs of ancient microbial life in a historic mission that will bring back samples from Mars to Earth and prepare the way for future human visitors.

numerous videos at link

illustration:

Posts: 19558 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Awesome (successful landing on Mars).

My home PC has been named WOPR since the 80s.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Two words... MARS! BATTLEBOTS!!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
My home PC has been named WOPR since the 80s.

That is cool. I may steal that.

Posts: 7247 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love this project and its intent but did anyone else acknowledge the strange juxtaposition between a technologically advanced, multi-million dollar exploration of another planet with the masked scientists behind the mission control consoles seemingly unable to combat an ailment that is 99% safe here on this planet?

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’m just glad it’s not named George Floyd or blm or some other stupid shit.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Anyone heard of Bob Zimmerman? His website, Behind the Black, has many cool images of space exploration including the recent Mars landing.

https://behindtheblack.com/

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
check out this photo - it was taken from the descent stage looking downward prior to landing...

Posts: 53158 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure I'm not paying enough attention but why are the photos I've seen so far been in black and white?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:

Oh look, politics, just what we need!

quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I'm sure I'm not paying enough attention but why are the photos I've seen so far been in black and white?

According to the interbutts, it's because they haven't gotten the good cameras up yet. They're still powering things on and doing checks and whatnot, so the pictures we're getting are from navigational cameras.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:

Oh look, politics, just what we need!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hound Dog,

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think it sounds more like a new medicine being advertised on TV.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post