SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Air Force recruiting
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air Force recruiting Login/Join 
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
Has he thought about being a Marine? The Marine Corps Officer Selection Officer will guarantee him any job he wants, in writing.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
Has he thought about being a Marine? The Marine Corps Officer Selection Officer will guarantee him any job he wants, in writing.

He grew up around men who had served in the Army, Navy, and Air Force. After listening to all our sea-stories he decided on AF. I’m just happy he chose to serve his country like the rest of us.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
Send me an email at my profile email. I did a lot of years AF and AF reserve. I may be able to provide some useful information.

Hayes, I will send you an email.

DMF, thank you very much for the advice. That is something I never considered. I’ll discuss it with him today. We have appointment on Tuesday.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
Send me an email at my profile email. I did a lot of years AF and AF reserve. I may be able to provide some useful information.

Hayes, I will send you an email.

DMF, thank you very much for the advice. That is something I never considered. I’ll discuss it with him today. We have appointment on Tuesday.
You're very welcome, glad to help. Again, please be sure you're talking to a recruiter assigned to officer accessions, not one assigned to enlisted accessions. They will both be NCOs, but they have different missions/priorities.

Also, I spent some more time thinking about this today, and even talked it over with another friend who jumped from the military into fed LE also.

In addition to OSI (Air Force Specialty Code (AFSC) 71S), your nephew may also want to consider applying to be an intelligence officer (AFSC 14N). That background is sought after by many fed LE agencies. For example with the FBI, when seeking people with military backgrounds military intelligence is one of the four military specialties they are currently seeking, and has been that way for many years. With US Secret Service a background in "analyzing intelligence information," can qualify a new agent for starting at a higher paygrade.

If he is interested in intel, he may want to consider going Army or Marines, as there is a more robust Human Intelligence (HUMINT) mission in those services. HUMINT experience is much more relevant to the LE mission.

I will caution though, if he has no interest in the intel world, then don't go for that. I always say, success breeds success, and a proven track record of success, both in academics and in work, is often more important than the particular field, when applying to a LE jobs.

Also, while it's unlikely military intel will fall out of favor, agencies can, and do, shift their recruiting priorities. So don't chase a particular academic degree, or field of work, just because it's currently the hot topic with one or more fed agencies.

Best of luck to you and your nephew.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
. . . We have appointment on Tuesday.
So how did it go?

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
DMF ~ Regardless of how it went, your answers to OP's questions and concerns have been "Above and Beyond" excellent!

I applaud your efforts to help!

Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
Talking to a few of my Capts who work at OTS...OTS is highly competitive for prior enlisted and direct recruits. The advice from them: He might be better off earning his commission through ROTC (either 1 or 2 yr programs)

Posts: 1723 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DMF is giving you a lot of really good and honest info.

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post