SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Diet recommendations for pre-diabetic
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diet recommendations for pre-diabetic Login/Join 
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm just trying to be a little more proactive about it.

It certainly can't hurt to cut down on sugars and carbs. Wish I had quit the sodas a lot sooner.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Just had my annual wellness check and the only flag was my blood sugar .99 or less is good, I'm technically pre-diabetic at 1.01. I was in roughly the same place last year at this time.

So weight loss (5'-10.5", 208#) is obviously a big factor which will be addressed through portion control among other things. Also, lack of exercise due to crappy weather and a serious aversion to gyms/treadmills and what I call "artificial exercise" is a factor. That will be alleviated largely by warmer weather and a return to 2 mile a day walks and exercise from working around the place.

What I don't know, and can't get a clear answer to at several diabetes web sites is specific foods to add to my diet or increase consumption of, as well as foods to avoid or limit.

I get that starches, refined sugars and empty, snack-food calories need to be curtailed, but what else?

I don't know your age. I am 50 and just went in to review my blood results. My score was(I think) a 99 but my doctor said 125 was pre diabetic(actually wrote that out and crossed out the 99) and 140 was definitely diabetic. He wasn't concerned at all about the 99.

I am 5'10, 282(and falling at least).

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
This is a very timely thread, as I too, was told by a new doctor that my A1C is too high. Normal, she told me is 6, mine is 13. So she's got me on Metformin -- at least for a month.

Here's the rub: I'm not overweight. I'm 5' 10" and 146 lbs. What I am, however, is suddenly sedentary. I've been a distance runner for years, but a knee injury (torn meniscus) sidelined me for nearly two years.

But the news was a wake-up call. I've taken a look at my behavior and diet and realize I've gotten sloppy. I don't drink sugared beverages, but I been chomping Starbursts and Reese's Peanut Butter cups as snacks. I don't eat fast-food fare, but rice and potatoes have become staples of my diet. A bowl of ice cream almost every night...

So, I'm changing my habits. I have a follow up with my doctor next week, so I'm going to revisit my readings.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
No. You are perfectly healthy at 101 with nothing to worry about.

Keep doing what you are doing. It's working just fine, and your physician should have told you that.

Exactly. I think you'd have to live about 10,000 years to develop retinopathy at 101. This constant ratcheting down of blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol guidelines is kind of silly.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ptb351:

I don't know your age. I am 50 and just went in to review my blood results. My score was(I think) a 99 but my doctor said 125 was pre diabetic(actually wrote that out and crossed out the 99) and 140 was definitely diabetic. He wasn't concerned at all about the 99.

I am 5'10, 282(and falling at least).

I'm 68. Doc wasn't really concerned, just said it was something to keep an eye on and should be easy to improve. As I said, I'm just trying to get ahead of it BEFORE it's a problem.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Also, I did a little surfing around for applicable diets/recipes.

Cheesy Rice! I'd spend a fortune ($16.99 for a box of granola?) and have to get all snuggly with the whole Vegan/Non-GMO/New Age/Snowflake thing. I'd probably choke on it.

Hopefully, portion control and exercise will do most of the trick. I'll still investigate dietary options too. I did see where eggs are a good choice. I could do eggs and dry toast 2-3 mornings a week pretty easily.

When I get up, I do 4 things in the first 15 minutes: Pee, make coffee, make breakfast and EAT! NOBODY is safe around me until that happens. And I'm serious. Don't even look at me too long, much less speak to me, until I've eaten in the morning.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Following! I just went in Thursday and I'm at 126. I'm not big overweight or anything and I do exercise. I have to do a couple more tests next week.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
as a type 2 diabetic one of the actions that helped me when I was diagnosed was to write down everything I ate for a couple months so I could count my carb intake daily.

Keeping the carb intake down helped keep the blood glucose down.

I find fruits are good carbs, beets are great carbs as the body has to work to break them down, but some breads, pastas, white potatoes are bad carbs as they are starches which turn to glucose fast.

I also learned I could eat and drink whatever I wanted as long is I used moderation and portion control.

Good luck to you sir.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tatortodd

-Tatortodd: Your post about all the carbs and info on GI was so in depth and informative! Thank you for taking the time to post it. It should be a good gage for anyone trying to eat healthy or managing weight.

Posts: 266 | Registered: June 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My only apparent accomplishment in life is being banned from an ancient forum
posted Hide Post
quote:
First, thanks for all the replies. Very helpful. I'll look further into the recommendations and sources.

But...Question:

Rolled oats are listed as Low GI, but instant oatmeal is rated as High GI?

Ummmmmm...why?

I love me some oatmeal, have it for breakfast every day. Can't be bothered to fuck around with steel-cut or whatever. Open the package, pour boiling water over it and eat...that's how I roll (arrrrrrrrr...humor!)

Make oatmeal the way my wife makes it.

Fill a slow cooker crock up about halfway with oats. The real oats, not the crummy instant oats.

Mix in cinnamon to taste. You'll want to experiment.

Fill to within a half inch or so from the top with water.

Stick the slow cooker on warm and let it sit overnight.

The next morning, you walk downstairs and you'll have a weeks worth of oatmeal all ready to go.

Posts: 166 | Location: Washington State | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just had my annual wellness check and the only flag was my blood sugar .99 or less is good, I'm technically pre-diabetic at 1.01. I was in roughly the same place last year at this time.

So weight loss (5'-10.5", 208#) is obviously a big factor which will be addressed through portion control among other things. Also, lack of exercise due to crappy weather and a serious aversion to gyms/treadmills and what I call "artificial exercise" is a factor. That will be alleviated largely by warmer weather and a return to 2 mile a day walks and exercise from working around the place.

What I don't know, and can't get a clear answer to at several diabetes web sites is specific foods to add to my diet or increase consumption of, as well as foods to avoid or limit.

I get that starches, refined sugars and empty, snack-food calories need to be curtailed, but what else?

What is your A1C?

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
T1D 24yrs. MDI for 10yrs, insulin pump 14yrs. Currently on Medtronic 670g with CGM. My last A1C 6.6

Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes really are two different diseases. I'm not in the camp as a T1D to think I have the "worse" kind. Yes, I require insulin to live but I have empathy for ALL diabetics.

Lots of well intending comments but many are counter to a low carb diet. Although oatmeal is a great breakfast, it's high in carbs. Very high.

Fasting BG (Blood Glucose) is an important number. Should fall 85-105. Also 2hrs post meal your BG should come down too close to that range. Over 140 fasting or 2hrs post meal and you're close to diagnosis.

Many here are only quoting BG. The OP indicated 101. Thats a perfect BG. If you're believed to be prediabetic, ask your Dr what your A1C is. This is an average BG over 3months.

Try to limit Pasta, bread, potatoes, fruit juice, suragar soft drinks and refined sugar. Fruits to avoid are bananas, grapes, watermelon. These are high in carbs.

Get calorie King app to see carb counts for foods. Limit Total carbs/day to 85g or less.

Get the Bayer contour Next meter blue tooth. This is the most accurate meter on the market. If you're concerned about a diagnosis, test once daily but vary the time. Before breakfast/lunch/dinner, 2hrs after breakfast/lunch/dinner before bed. This will give your Dr some numbers to consider.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:

Keep doing what you are doing. It's working just fine, and your physician should have told you that.

Exactly. I think you'd have to live about 10,000 years to develop retinopathy at 101. This constant ratcheting down of blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol guidelines is kind of silly.

It sells more pills.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
diabetes reversal, Dr. Jason Fung blog archives

diabetes, Dr. Jason Fung blog archives

fasting, Dr. Jason Fung blog

type 2 diabetes, Dr. Jason Fung blog

- - -

Five Common Myths about Diabetes 2-1-2019

Myth #1: Insulin or pill medications are an inevitable part of the treatment for diabetes

Myth #2: Diabetes is chronic and irreversible

Myth #3: Thin people don’t get diabetes

Myth #4: Prediabetes is not a problem because it isn’t the same as type 2 diabetes

Myth #5: You have to have symptoms in order to be diagnosed with diabetes

- - -

Diabetes Reversed: After a Lifetime of Dieting and Surgery, Virta is the Only Thing That Has Worked for Me 2-7-2019

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
This is a very timely thread, as I too, was told by a new doctor that my A1C is too high. Normal, she told me is 6, mine is 13. So she's got me on Metformin -- at least for a month.

Here's the rub: I'm not overweight. I'm 5' 10" and 146 lbs. What I am, however, is suddenly sedentary. I've been a distance runner for years, but a knee injury (torn meniscus) sidelined me for nearly two years.

But the news was a wake-up call. I've taken a look at my behavior and diet and realize I've gotten sloppy. I don't drink sugared beverages, but I been chomping Starbursts and Reese's Peanut Butter cups as snacks. I don't eat fast-food fare, but rice and potatoes have become staples of my diet. A bowl of ice cream almost every night...

So, I'm changing my habits. I have a follow up with my doctor next week, so I'm going to revisit my readings.

Did you get dull headaches often?

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:

This. Your A1C is the most important number because it's an average over time. Reducing or eliminating refined sugars in your diet will have the most significant impact, lots of substitutes now, and you'll barely notice it. With the added benefit of reducing weight.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
My wife has 30 years in the dietary department of a 120 bed nursing home. One site of a big name brand chain. Part of the wife's job is verifying that each resident gets only what the dietician had approved for them and nothing else. They used to have a very strict separate diet for diabetic residents. So strict it was a write up offense if you mistakenly served a regular meal to a diabetic.

All that is out the window now... for some reason, with no explanation given. Now diabetic residents are served from the non restricted menu, with few exceptions. They do maintain strict portion control.

I just wondered why the 180 degree change in policy.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Pretty much all fast food. That is my undoing. No fast food, great labs. Regular fast food, shit labs.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am a bit more diabetic than you and have been for several years. Have been prescribed Metformin twice per day until recently having to discontinue the Metformin due to open heart surgery. In the place of Metformin I was prescribed several units of Insulin until such time I can return to the oral medication. With all this being said I have found I can eat almost anything I want as long as I keep the carbs to a minimum. I sometimes splurge on the carbs but with no real complications. Weight loss is always a good thing along with some kind of regular exercise.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 251 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Need A1C

MDS

Posts: 376 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post