SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Diet recommendations for pre-diabetic
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diet recommendations for pre-diabetic Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Just had my annual wellness check and the only flag was my blood sugar .99 or less is good, I'm technically pre-diabetic at 1.01. I was in roughly the same place last year at this time.

So weight loss (5'-10.5", 208#) is obviously a big factor which will be addressed through portion control among other things. Also, lack of exercise due to crappy weather and a serious aversion to gyms/treadmills and what I call "artificial exercise" is a factor. That will be alleviated largely by warmer weather and a return to 2 mile a day walks and exercise from working around the place.

What I don't know, and can't get a clear answer to at several diabetes web sites is specific foods to add to my diet or increase consumption of, as well as foods to avoid or limit.

I get that starches, refined sugars and empty, snack-food calories need to be curtailed, but what else?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
take a couple tablespoons of Bragg's apple cider vinegar mixed in about 3 oz of water every morning.

If you're going to eat junk do it early in the day so you can work it off. Don't eat a dozen oreos just before bed but if you do, fuck it, shake it off and do better tomorrow. Wink

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I get that starches, refined sugars and empty, snack-food calories need to be curtailed, but what else?
Not all carbs are equal. The Glycemic Index (GI) is a relative ranking of carbohydrate in foods according to how they affect blood glucose levels.

Carbohydrates with a low GI value (55 or less) are more slowly digested, absorbed and metabolised and cause a lower and slower rise in blood glucose and, therefore insulin levels.

You can use this link and search for foods with GI less than 55. For example, choosing 150 grams of sweet potatoes (without dumping a bunch of brown sugar on them) impacts blood sugar nearly 50% less than red potatoes.

From the American Diabetes Assoc:
quote:
Glycemic Index and Diabetes

The glycemic index, or GI, measures how a carbohydrate-containing food raises blood glucose. Foods are ranked based on how they compare to a reference food — either glucose or white bread.

A food with a high GI raises blood glucose more than a food with a medium or low GI.

Meal planning with the GI involves choosing foods that have a low or medium GI. If eating a food with a high GI, you can combine it with low GI foods to help balance the meal.

Examples of carbohydrate-containing foods with a low GI include dried beans and legumes (like kidney beans and lentils), all non-starchy vegetables, some starchy vegetables like sweet potatoes, most fruit, and many whole grain breads and cereals (like barley, whole wheat bread, rye bread, and all-bran cereal).

Meats and fats don’t have a GI because they do not contain carbohydrate.

Below are examples of foods based on their GI.

Low GI Foods (55 or less)

100% stone-ground whole wheat or pumpernickel bread
Oatmeal (rolled or steel-cut), oat bran, muesli
Pasta, converted rice, barley, bulgar
Sweet potato, corn, yam, lima/butter beans, peas, legumes and lentils
Most fruits, non-starchy vegetables and carrots

Medium GI (56-69)

Whole wheat, rye and pita bread
Quick oats
Brown, wild or basmati rice, couscous

High GI (70 or more)

White bread or bagel
Corn flakes, puffed rice, bran flakes, instant oatmeal
Shortgrain white rice, rice pasta, macaroni and cheese from mix
Russet potato, pumpkin
Pretzels, rice cakes, popcorn, saltine crackers
melons and pineapple

What Affects the GI of a Food?

Fat and fiber tend to lower the GI of a food. As a general rule, the more cooked or processed a food, the higher the GI; however, this is not always true.

Below are a few specific examples of other factors that can affect the GI of a food:

Ripeness and storage time — the more ripe a fruit or vegetable is, the higher the GI
Processing — juice has a higher GI than whole fruit; mashed potato has a higher GI than a whole baked potato, stone ground whole wheat bread has a lower GI than whole wheat bread.
Cooking method — how long a food is cooked (al dente pasta has a lower GI than soft-cooked pasta)
Variety — converted long-grain white rice has a lower GI than brown rice but short-grain white rice has a higher GI than brown rice.

Other Considerations

The GI value represents the type of carbohydrate in a food but says nothing about the amount of carbohydrate typically eaten. Portion sizes are still relevant for managing blood glucose and for losing or maintaining weight.

The GI of a food is different when eaten alone than it is when combined with other foods. When eating a high GI food, you can combine it with other low GI foods to balance out the effect on blood glucose levels.

Many nutritious foods have a higher GI than foods with little nutritional value. For example, oatmeal has a higher GI than chocolate. Use of the GI needs to be balanced with basic nutrition principles of variety for healthful foods and moderation of foods with few nutrients.

GI or Carbohydrate Counting?

There is no one diet or meal plan that works for everyone with diabetes. The important thing is to follow a meal plan that is tailored to personal preferences and lifestyle and helps achieve goals for blood glucose, cholesterol and triglycerides levels, blood pressure, and weight management.

Research shows that both the amount and the type of carbohydrate in food affect blood glucose levels. Studies also show that the total amount of carbohydrate in food, in general, is a stronger predictor of blood glucose response than the GI.

Based on the research, for most people with diabetes, the first tool for managing blood glucose is some type of carbohydrate counting.

Because the type of carbohydrate can affect blood glucose, using the GI may be helpful in "fine-tuning" blood glucose management. In other words, combined with carbohydrate counting, it may provide an additional benefit for achieving blood glucose goals for individuals who can and want to put extra effort into monitoring their food choices.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I’m also a “pre” (impaired fasting glucose). The best thing to do is to exercise, and drink lots of water to protect kidney function.

Look at the DASH diet.

I am 65 lbs overweight (was 130 as of Jan 18). I hope to lose another 35-40 this year, and the last 30 next year. Of course exercise puts on muscle weight, so my actual weight loss will be net 65.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Weight loss, increased activity, and limiting the number of high sugar treats should nudge you right back to where you need to be.
Something resembling an Atkins diet should be a start. I would not go all the way with avoiding carbohydrates like a strict Atkins diet but using it as a loose framework for a high protein diet could be useful.
You're not far off. Don't over think it.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
There are many resources to substantiate the benefits of a low-insulin type diet. Call it Keto or LCHF or Pegan etc., Weight loss is only a side-effect of a diet that improves metabolism and cellular function and gut health. There is really no one-size fits all but you need to try new tastes and it helps if you like to cook.

Posts: 3507 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So 2 + years ago I started with a new doc. Did a blood test baseline and blood sugar was off the chart. She wanted me on meds immediately. I said give me 3 months. I went cold turkey and cut out my daily liter of Coke and all sugar drinks. Cold turkey. It was painful. Oops went way down. Haven’t had a soda in 2 years. But I didn’t stop drinking milk or eating bleached white breads and tortillas. So had another physical yesterday but blood tested 3 weeks ago. She emailed me results and said sugar too high still. So it’s been a month next week with no milk and no white breads or pasta. Again she agreed to retest me in 3 months. I would eat a handful of tortillas or a bowl of rice and a huge glass of milk at 11pm and go to bed. So i will change my behavior no matter how difficult before I take a daily drug. So now I need to radically change my diet.

Good luck to changing your diet.

Posts: 4756 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello PHPaul,

I am, a type-1 diabetic (insulin-dependent) and have been so for 42 years. I do not have any condition-based complications.

There's lots of information available, and I'd be more than happy to answer any of your questions by DM or email.

Control is key, it is also a personal question of what your lifestyle is, and what you're comfortable doing or maintaining. Clearly caloric intake is important to monitor, but timing is even more critical, to prevent large swings or fluctuations in blood sugar.

If you have not already done so - invest in a blood glucose monitor, many insurance plans will cover the monitor and testing supplies.

Posts: 143 | Location: NoVA | Registered: August 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I was a type 2 and lost 150 pounds and I am no longer diabetic. My fasting is now in the 70s with no medication. I would recommend losing weight and you will be amazed at the improvement. I just ate reasonable and counted calories using the MyFitnessPal. Good luck, pick a diet you can stick too.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Speaking as a Type 1 diabetic, don't solely focus on diet. You can eat more (don't go crazy) good food (i.e.- not good for you) if you exercise regularly.

How much you need to cut will vary greatly if you work out on a routine basis.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm technically pre-diabetic at 1.01.

No. You are perfectly healthy at 101 with nothing to worry about.

Keep doing what you are doing. It's working just fine, and your physician should have told you that.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Check out Two Ket Dudes’ podcast. You can go to their website and listen. Both diabetics that reversed it with ketogenic lifestyle.

I wasn’t diabetic, but I was FAT. I started keto last April. As of this morning I’m down 60 pounds, 50 of it since going keto.

I’m at 174.6. My original goal was 165. I’m probably going to drop to 155. I’m still fat right now, at 5’4”, but holy crap do I feel like a new man.

It was easy though. That’s the best part. Take a look. That podcast has a wealth of information.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Dial back on highly processed foods, they are not your friend. Complex carbs like beans, taters, legumes whole grains and veggies will do the trick for you and you’ll feel satisfied.
101 is pre-diabetic? Roll Eyes

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
First, thanks for all the replies. Very helpful. I'll look further into the recommendations and sources.

But...Question:

Rolled oats are listed as Low GI, but instant oatmeal is rated as High GI?

Ummmmmm...why?

I love me some oatmeal, have it for breakfast every day. Can't be bothered to fuck around with steel-cut or whatever. Open the package, pour boiling water over it and eat...that's how I roll (arrrrrrrrr...humor!)

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PHPaul,
The instant oatmeal is super high GI because the oatmeal is able to be cooked quickly, and that type of oat grain is not a complex carb.

The better type of oatmeal for you would be a "steel cut" branded oatmeal. It has a more complex carb. The only downside is that it takes some time to "cook". But it can be made in a rice cooker, with a timer set for a morning breakfast-time, the night before.

Posts: 143 | Location: NoVA | Registered: August 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are taking Statins, stop for a while & see if your A1C comes down. Mine did & I quit Statins totally.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:

I love me some oatmeal, have it for breakfast every day.

That alone could be a BIG factor for you. (the instant oats. Add sugar, that much worse)

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
blood sugar .99 or less is good, I'm technically pre-diabetic at 1.01

I don't recognize what units they're using here.
The main one that should be of concern is A1C, which is long term sugars. Generally anything under 5.5 is considered just fine.
If you've just got a misplaced decimal, 99 or 101mg/dL is pretty much normal.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:
blood sugar .99 or less is good, I'm technically pre-diabetic at 1.01

I don't recognize what units they're using here.
The main one that should be of concern is A1C, which is long term sugars. Generally anything under 5.5 is considered just fine.
If you've just got a misplaced decimal, 99 or 101mg/dL is pretty much normal.

Sorry, I don't know for sure either. Lab didn't get the results faxed to them in time so they kept the printout. Doc said I was pre-diabetic but given my history most likely due to Winter inactivity and a little weight gain and don't worry about it.

I'm just trying to be a little more proactive about it.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rolled oats are listed as Low GI, but instant oatmeal is rated as High GI?

Ummmmmm...why?

Yea, and whole wheat is "medium" but 100% stone-ground whole wheat is "low"?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post