SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about Metal Detectors; Courthouse location.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about Metal Detectors; Courthouse location. Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
Just curious, this morning I had to take some farm related paperwork to the Commissioner of Revenue.

Just recently a new security system had been installed, only one entrance

It was a court day, I had to go through screening,and remove keys and wallet. (No cellphones allowed in).

I understand the keys and metal objects, but the wallet perplexes me, other than the metal detector may do something with my debit/credit card chip.

Why the wallet is my question.

Old courthouses are not conducive to security and foot traffic.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Efficiency. Simpler to say remove everything

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you have not seen some of the small credit card sized knives that can be hidden in a wallet. They are simply looking for weapons.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Local security explained, just read online for what I asked in the forum, wish I had caught this in our local paper (online) before I posted.

http://www.godanriver.com/news...40-9f086c6829e9.html

No, I don't know about credit card knives .

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
https://www.thehomesecuritysup...=Safety%20Technology

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:

Would that Not show up going thru netal detector?
Officer also wanded me after stepping through the metal detecors.

Was wondering if the metal rivets in my Kydex IWB would set it off.

Didn't notice the officers going through my wallet. Maybe they used the wand on my wallet.

I only go in the courthouse twice a year.

美しい犬

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

A razor or small knife is easily hidden in a wallet.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wallets often have things in them which set off metal detectors. It speeds things up to just send them through the X-ray machine rather than re screen a bunch of people.

Posts: 989 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

So is the wallet x rayed or inspected separately? It sounds like it is removed from the inspection (scanning) process.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1492 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TSE:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

So is the wallet x rayed or inspected separately? It sounds like it is removed from the inspection (scanning) process.

I put my wallet in the tray along with my keys

美しい犬

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
My belt buckle sometimes sets one off but other times not. Covering it often gets me though.

I would be surprised if smaller items were enough.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
You goobers have it wrong. They’re worried about this!

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Titanium is non-ferrous.

I'm just sayin'.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I have been in the Prince William courthouse on a couple of occasions.

Security screening is pretty thorough, but quick, and they only have one station. Never had a problem with my IWB holster with some metal on it. BTW: I have to go there to renew my CHL.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I get double-checked every time.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Metal detectors have various sensitivity settings. I suppose it's possible they set to the most secure setting and found wallets were giving false readings (which would surprise me a bit). Or it just could be the whim of the person that set policy.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post