SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A college kid running for 13th Ward alderman gets a lesson in the Chicago Way
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A college kid running for 13th Ward alderman gets a lesson in the Chicago Way Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
quote:

Column: A college kid running for 13th Ward alderman gets a lesson in the Chicago Way

By John Kass
Chicago Tribune

December 7, 2018, 5:00 a.m.

The history of the little guy being squashed by massive Chicago political clout at election time is just too long to print without weeping.

But the story for today is so amazing that some Chicago election officials have never seen the like.

“No one can remember anything approaching this,” said an election official.

Really?

It’s overkill of epic proportions, like using a sledgehammer to kill a gnat, or firing off a nuclear weapon to kill a sparrow. A Southwest Side David vs. Goliath story.

The David is David Krupa, 19, a freshman at DePaul University who drives a forklift part time. He’s not a political powerhouse. He’s just a conservative Southwest Side teenager studying political science and economics who got it in his head to run for alderman in a race that pits him against the most powerful ward organization in Chicago.

The Goliath is the 13th Ward Democratic Organization run by House Speaker Michael J. Madigan, aka Boss Madigan, the most powerful politician in the state. Boss Madigan has long hand-picked his aldermen. He likes them loyal and quiet. The current silent alderman of the 13th Ward is Marty Quinn.

Full story: Column: A college kid running for 13th Ward alderman gets a lesson in the Chicago Way

Wow! I'd heard Illinois, and particularly Chicago, was riddled with corruption, but I'd no idea it was this bad or this blatant.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Man, that is just nuts!

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:

Man, that is just nuts!
No, that is just Chicago. It really is. I lived there for a number of years.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Hope the kid gets his education and a set of luggage for his graduation present.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
And nothing will happen. Nobody will investigate, nobody will pay any price

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stu1000rr
posted Hide Post
According to my reading of the article he still has enough signatures to get on the ballot. Of all the revocations they submitted less than 200 were people that actually signed his petition. But yea the corruption is stunning. Or at least it would be if it were not so commonplace.

Posts: 265 | Location: Southwest Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"We don't want nobody nobody sent"

Abner Mikva found that out back in '48.
Now this kid has the balls to try that shit in Burkes ward?!?

Burke is one of the most powerful people in the State.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
"A clown car of felonies". they got that right!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the FBI would be interested in this? It sounds like there are a lot of Chicago politicians who need to be wearing orange jumpsuits for a lot of years.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'd really like to see this article get some serious traction!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A dirty trick. Is it illegal? (The collecting affidavit , not the there are too many affidavits part.)

Not that it should be legal.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The FBI, haha. That's funny. From what I've been reading the last few years, the FBI is more likely to have collected the revocations.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
A dirty trick. Is it illegal? (The collecting affidavit , not the there are too many affidavits part.)

Not that it should be legal.

Not a lawyer but would this not be "suborning perjury" on the part of the people soliciting these affidavits they know to be false?
Someone educate me, please.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Chicago needs to burn to the ground.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
"We don't want nobody nobody sent"

Abner Mikva found that out back in '48.

Being curious and not familiar with Abner Mikva, I looked him up on Wiki. Here's the excerpt that explains the quote above:

"One of the stories that is told about my start in politics is that on the way home from law school one night in 1948, I stopped by the ward headquarters in the ward where I lived. There was a street-front, and the name Timothy O'Sullivan, Ward Committeeman, was painted on the front window. I walked in and I said "I'd like to volunteer to work for [Adlai] Stevenson and [Paul] Douglas." This quintessential Chicago ward committeeman took the cigar out of his mouth and glared at me and said, "Who sent you?" I said, "Nobody sent me." He put the cigar back in his mouth and he said, "We don't want nobody that nobody sent." This was the beginning of my political career in Chicago."

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been reading John Kass for years. The series he did on the Chicago Outfit should have won a Pulitzer. I am surprised nobody ordered a hit on him.

He had the balls to have Trib readers email him the list of names of guys who had NO SHOW jobs at City Hall. He then published the list.

He is not Mike Royko, but is made from the same cloth.

It will be interesting to see what the FBI found in Burke's office from the recent raid.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

If it ever starts burning I'll meet you there with marshmallows.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

If it ever starts burning I'll meet you there with marshmallows.

I wouldn’t eat marshmallows cooked in that smoke...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he truly learned anything from this experience - he will find a job outside of IL once he graduates !

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
ZSMichael, you have to research your Chicago taxonomy a bit. "The Outfit" is the gangsters, most of them live outside the city to the west of Oak Park. What you called the Organization is actually "the Machine" It has run Chicago for over 100 years. I grew up on the Northwest side. Because my Alderman was such a faithful servant of Hizzhoner da Mare, Richard J. Daley, ( not his wimpy son Richie) said alderman was rewarded with a seat, essentially a lifetime appointment to the United States Congress. Roman Polanski, his name was.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post