SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Samsung Note5 - Sudden Dramatic Decrease in Battery Life
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Samsung Note5 - Sudden Dramatic Decrease in Battery Life Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Nothing has changed, phone is roughly 2 yrs old.
If anything the load has gotten lighter on it, since I've cleared off some storage space.

Started last Thursday, battery dropped from about 70% to 5% in course of a 9 inning baseball game.
Since then, I have to charge it a couple times a day, battery is discharging much more rapidly than it used to.

Simple solution is to go get a new phone, would rather not if I can help it.
These also have a sealed case, so the battery isn't easily accessible, to my knowledge, for a DIY replacement.

Options?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15246 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd factory reset it if you haven't since the last major firmware update.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
See if you have an update pending. I have a Samsung S7 Active, and sometimes when it has an update in queue, it really burns battery.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I have an older note 3. Have experienced similar periods.

Shut off and pull battery to do hard reset.

Turn off wifi so it does not try to download bloatware at inconvenient times.

Areas of very poor cell reception will do this no matter what. Something in the cell coverage tuning does affect my phone even if not used.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2003 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did it just update to android 8? With Samsung, usually just after an update battery life is crap either due to a bug, or the carrier uploading data to squash a bug. Happened on my note 4 3 or 4 times, S3, too, etc. Mine would get hot while sitting in my pocket. Ironically, turning the powersave mode on made it even worse.....
Factory reset can help, or call your carrier - sometimes you can find a tech support that knows what is going on & can help you to either fix it or get resolution. Might take a couple calls.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately modern batteries only last a certain number of full charges. I dont' remember what that number is, but I think it equates to about 2 years.

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
See if you have an update pending. I have a Samsung S7 Active, and sometimes when it has an update in queue, it really burns battery.

It had improved slightly after a few charge cycles, but had a system update this morning & the battery life dropped again.

Posts: 15246 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with the Note in particular however; the batteries in these phones are considered "smart" batteries - they have microchips in them.

When the chip goes bad (my Galaxy 3 has had it happen) the battery tells the phone there isn't a charge even if it is completely charged. As a result, the phone will not recognize the battery as being charged. In my phone's case, the battery's charge slowly degraded over the span of a few weeks until it was unusable unless plugged in (would shut off immediately after disconnecting).

You may simply require a new battery.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
I have an older note 3. Have experienced similar periods.
<snip>

Thanks. I'm going to try to bring a Note 3 from 2013 back into service soon and have been concerned about it being too old. Replacement batteries seem to be available, at least. So far, with the latest Android updates and testing on local wifi, the note 3 responds faster than an iPhone 8.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Go into settings and under the battery management app you should be able to see which applications are using up your battery. There might be a random app that is trying to pull data or something in the background that is draining your battery.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
My Note 4 did the same thing. New battery didn't help much.

Posts: 11156 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
My Note 4 did the same thing. New battery didn't help much.

Just looked it up on ifixit, $11 for a battery & what looks to be a pretty straightforward replacement.
May give that a show first. If it doesn't work, I'm only out a few $$.

Hardest part looks to be heating the back of the phone to release the rear glass.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My Note5 forced my hand on Sunday.
Plugged into the charger as I headed to bed, nothing. Tried 3 cables, no charge. Looks like the charge port bit the dust.

Replaced with a Galaxy S9+ Monday morning.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Nothing has changed, phone is roughly 2 yrs old.

That's your problem right now.

Once my iPhone hit two years, the battery went to shit.

Don't know if you can get that battery replaced, iFixit does not appear to sell Note battery kits.

Posts: 33747 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post