SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The CMP requirements for 1911 buy
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The CMP requirements for 1911 buy Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I don't get it... what extra hoops?

People complain the same way about buying rifles from the CMP too.

"I'd love a Garand, but that's just too many hoops to jump through."

Right... You want a Garand so much that you can't be bothered to go to the GCA website and spend 30 seconds clicking around to join, then fill out a form and stick it in the mail with a copy of your birth certificate and proof of marksmanship.

(Meanwhile, they've bought a half dozen other guns online in the past few months, all of which required going to a website and clicking around, then driving down to the local gun store, filling out a form, and providing ID.)

Roll Eyes

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
What exactly is the requirement of a CMP affiliated club and Marksmanship activities?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The requirements are all described in detail on the CMP website. Here's a basic summary of those two:

1) To buy a firearm from the CMP, you have to be a member of an affiliated club. There are thousands of different clubs around the country, from private ranges and gun clubs, to firearms training groups, to vet organizations, to marksmanship/competition teams, to historical societies. You can search through all the clubs here: https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=clubSearch

For many folks, the quickest/easiest to join is the Garand Collector's Association, which can be done all online. www.thegca.org

2) Proof of markmanship activity is also required to buy a firearm from the CMP. This can be proof of any of the following:
-Current or past military service.
-Current or past law enforcement service
-Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition
-Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training
-Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
-Concealed Carry License.
-Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.
-FFL or C&R license.
-Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.

If you don't have any of those, there's also a form that you can print off and have any range/club official or law enforcement officer complete after witnessing you shooting at a range.

Or, if you're over 60 years old, the proof of marksmanship activity requirement is waived.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Screw all that extra hoops crap.

I'll just wait until you can buy them brand new at walmart for $99.

Oh, wait...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:

For the mint '03A3 & Mossberg 44, and the '42 SA with some correct parts on it I received, it was worth it. Not for a 1911 that is most likely used up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:

In fairness, one cannot buy a Garand or M1C on just any shelf in any store in the modern day, but I have zero shops in driving range that don't have some version of a 1911 in the case.

The appeal to history thing doesn't work for me either. I understand nobody is making them anymore (although 800 companies make copies) but there are several guns like that. Nobody's making Star BM9s anymore either. Nobody's making J-frames with hammer firing pins. Nobody's making Mosin Nagants. That doesn't magically grant value to a thing beyond the sum of its parts.

I don't think it's too many hoops - but I do think it will be too much money to make it a no-brainer like their rifles are/were. Now if they come out at $299 for rack grade, $399 service grade, etc. - then I'll stand corrected.

But at or above the same price as a new Springfield or Colt? I'm sure they'll have great success with them, and I hope they do. I hope everybody that wants one gets one - but you won't have to fight me for one.

Posts: 10749 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I may buy one that had seen combat, if only because I enjoy the war my grandfather fought in. His was stolen about 10 years ago, otherwise I'd have it, and not ever give a damn about another colt again. Just like I want one of every gun that saw combat in ww2. One day I'll have me a buzzsaw.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
After getting screwed on the last M1 Carbine buy, I'm not ordering anything else from CMP.

if you don't mind my asking,, how did you get screwed?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I don't understand all the kvetching about price. The days of $65 M1s and $15 1911s are over. These are collectors guns being sold at less than current collector prices.

I don't think anyone buying one of these is doing so to get an affordable target gun, especially considering that any modern 1911 from just about any MFD will enjoy all the benefits of modern manufacturing.

Knowing the CMP, the descriptions are over emphasizing what COULD be wrong with each grade to keep customer complaints at a minimum.

I love the CMP, what it stands for, it's history, etc. I will definitely be buying one.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got the call yesterday from CMP, Service Grade 1911 approximately 2 weeks. All the hoops took me about an hour plus 15 minutes for a notary and drop off at the PO, my Dad carried one of these as a air crew in the South Pacific, 1942 to 1944 with the 11th Bombardment Group B17 Heavy. He also called it a paper weight but saved his life a couple of times during ground engagements in the Solomon Islands. I wish he was still here. Arlington Section:68 Grave:1927

This message has been edited. Last edited by: greg1147,

"the soul of a dog is pure"

Posts: 265 | Location: VA | Registered: June 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hopefully will be at my FFL tomorrow, photos then.

"the soul of a dog is pure"

Posts: 265 | Location: VA | Registered: June 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greg1147:
Got the call yesterday from CMP, Service Grade 1911 approximately 2 weeks. All the hoops took me about an hour plus 15 minutes for a notary and drop off at the PO, my Dad carried one of these as a air crew in the South Pacific, 1942 to 1944 with the 11th Bombardment Group B17 Heavy. He also called it a paper weight but saved his life a couple of times during ground engagements in the Solomon Islands. I wish he was still here. Arlington Section:68 Grave:1927

My father was also in the Pacific and felt the same way about the 1911. He was a revolver guy. I remember him saying, “You can take a revolver, throw it in a mud puddle, dive a Jeep over it several times and then pick it up and fire it. You can’t do that with a semi auto.” He carried a Colt in .41 caliber, which I inherited.

Posts: 990 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
Wow!
That sure is a lot of trouble just to buy a worn out 1911.

My thoughts exactly. I'll just enjoy my Ruger and my S&W Performance center 1911's

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the cmp forums a couple people have posted pictures of the pistols they received and they were not worn out rattle traps like many are saying

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Service Grade $1050.
Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

That's a no from me.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post