SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The CMP requirements for 1911 buy
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The CMP requirements for 1911 buy Login/Join 
posted
As I already have a nice Colt, think I’ll pass on these.

CMP 1911 Information
To all CMP constituents:

The CMP Board of Directors has discussed at length how the sales of 1911s would be handled, if the CMP were to ever receive them from the United States Army.

Some preliminary decisions further clarified:
Decisions concerning the grade and pricing of the 1911s will not be made until inspection has occurred of a substantial quantity which will take an estimated 150 days post receipt.
All laws pertaining to the sale of 1911s by CMP will be strictly obeyed.
Potential purchasers will have to provide to CMP a new set of documents exhibiting: 1) proof of U.S. Citizenship, 2) proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club, 3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity, 4) a new form 2A with notary, 5) a signed copy of the 01 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to.
A NICS background check will be performed by CMP on the customer to assure the customer is eligible to purchase prior to shipment to the FFL licensed dealer. The customer must receive a "proceed" from NICS prior to shipment of the pistol to the FFL licensed dealer.
The CMP customer will be required to complete a form 4473 in person at the FFL dealers place of business, successfully passing a NICS check performed by the FFL holder, before the pistol can be transferred. This is a second NICS check performed on the customer.
Qualified CMP customer will only be allowed to purchase one 1911 per calendar year.
No 1911s available in the CMP stores, or on line, only mail order sales.
CMP will set the date in which it will accept orders for the 1911s. The date will be posted to the world.
Orders will only be accepted via mail order delivery.
Orders will only be accepted post marked on the date or after, no early orders.
Once CMP receives 10,000 orders, customer names will be loaded into the Random Number Generator.
The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequence order through a random picking process to CMP.
Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator.
When the customer is contacted a list of 1911 grades and pricing options that are available will be offered for selection of one.
As CMP proceeds down the sequenced list less grade and pricing options will be available. Again, this done completely random.

Note: 1911 type pistols purchased from CMP cannot be transferred to 03 FFL (curio and relic) license. BATF and the United States Army prefer the second background check be performed by a "store front" FFL dealer. Each customer purchasing a 1911 type pistol from CMP will be subjected to two NICS background checks, one performed by CMP and the other performed by the FFL dealer the pistol is being shipped to.

Mark Johnson
Chief Operating Officer
Civilian Marksmanship Program
www.thecmp.org

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I got that notice also,to me , no I will not jump thru the hoops and bull crap they put in front of those old things.
I also have nice 1911 that for the most part I bought new

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
They seem to have out done themselves.

No thanks.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Same here, got the email yesterday and pretty much felt “meh” about the whole thing. A lot of trouble for who knows what your going to get to choose from. I’ll enjoy my DW valor instead thanks.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Wow!
That sure is a lot of trouble just to buy a worn out 1911.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Not a chance. If they were selling them for $100, maybe, but $1K for a worn out beater? No way, I'll let the 'collectors' have them.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I'm no doubt eligible being Distinguished Pistol. Lots of red tape, but it doesn't surprise me. The real question is how beat up the guns are, and what price compared to a Spfd Range Officer.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the mid 70s, my first base armory had kept some left over 1911s, despite USAF SP adapting the S&W Model 15 some years before. IIRC, there was a pistol rack of 10. I looked them over once. Two had frame cracks. One had a broken hammer. All were light brown in color and cracked plastic grips were common. I would hope that CMP will choose the best of the lot of remaining guns to sell but the chances of running across a match grade AMU gun seem remote. Too much red tape and too high a price to roll the dice.
Be nice if CMP would post a few photos of a "sampling" of the sale guns online prior to the sale.
But that might kibosh the sale!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Yep, cannot use an FFL 03 ... plus, I read on various forums the pistols will be priced comparatively high.

An ink-signed FFL copy? Even FFLs began accepting faxed, then digital copies years ago.

CMP and the Army is leaving nothing to chance.

Still, they ain't making any more. Once they're gone, they're gone.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I had thought about it until their list of demands came out. No thanks, I will stick with my P220ST.

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Well at least I don't have to wrestle a bear.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of bullshit for a chance at buying something sight unseen.

Who am I kidding, I'll do it anyway.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
That is asinine.

10,000 orders? Of that shit? I fail to see what makes the guns worth the expense or effort.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
willing to bet,

2 or maybe 3 grades (similar to rack, field , service on the Garands)

AMU, US&S and any oddball will go to auction and get stupid money

also willing to bet UPS, FedEx, USPS overnight mail will be extremely busy in Anniston on the release date,

wondering if it will be one tractor trailer or 3 of applications??

and other than the 01FFL requirement, basically the same hoops you go thru to get a Rifle from CMP

btw, was told thru a semi reliable source that they already had the first 10K or a large amount at Anniston, and in CMP custody,

apparently that is the number they had for the National Matches in storage, as in you used to be able to borrow a gun to shoot a match, + the small arms firing schools etc etc,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Yea, no one wants to jump through all those extra hoops! Everybody should boycott the CMP 1911s!

<----Secretly is getting his paperwork in order.

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
2 NICS checks, wonder what Dem got that in the bill?

I originally thought “You now this might be an opportunity to get a cheap beater and make it a project gun.” It really doesn’t sound like it any more.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Yea, no one wants to jump through all those extra hoops! Everybody should boycott the CMP 1911s!

<----Secretly is getting his paperwork in order.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I've always been more interested in shooters than in collectors' items. I have a perfectly good DW and an OK RIA, so I'll pass on this round of hoops. Now if CMP gets hold of some more M1 Carbines at a decent price, I'll be more tempted.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sending in that documentation is normal CMP procedures. I've done it lots of times. The difference is the 01FFL requirement.
The market on these guns has been pretty hot; I'm sure the CMP will charge what they believe is fair - and it will most likely be below what dealers are getting now.
I'm gonna take a shot and get the best one available to me.
If you want one, now's the time to get it.

Posts: 157 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
It was made clear a year ago that they were going for a rock bottom price. collections will snap them up in short order.

Other than a delivery to a FFL because it's a handgun, there is little different that the requirements for getting a rifle. So there is an additional $20 or so charge added.

Whining about the price? I've seen the same era 1911's on sale at a local shop here for almost twice that price.

It's comical that some are looking at this as a comparison to the new commercial models. It's a piece of history and the numbers are relatively few.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
What, no DNA and blood samples needed?

Seems like a lot of work for a basic 1911. I had the opportunity to handle several US GI 1911’s when I was in the Marines and I was never impressed to be blunt.

Most of them sounded like a rattle if you shook them, basic crap sights, just don’t see the interest. I have a Rock Island Armory .45 that is head and shoulders above any 1911 the Marines loaned me.

Rocks are a “piece of history” as well, and I can get them free in my backyard.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post