SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    tac foley here with a BIG email problem...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

tac foley here with a BIG email problem... Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
had a power outage just now that has wiped my entire email address book of over 300 contacts. Plus a few other things, like no longer being permanently signed-on to sites like this one.

Soooooooooo, if anybody out there knows me to use email, please send me an email to restore the address book!

Thanks!!!

Posts: 11313 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
well the first place to start is...

What email application do you use?

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1539 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
aol, now owned by Talk-Talk, who don't actually 'talk-talk'.

If there is anybody here who communicates with me via email and there are a few, I know], please use plunderer3[at]gmail.com UFN

Thanks, gentlemen.

Posts: 11313 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:

plunderer3[at]gmail.com

We now know the source of Tac's vast wealth.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31419 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
can't you sign on another computer and log on to aol to check your address book?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
can't you sign on another computer and log on to aol to check your address book?

This? Isn’t your aol address book stored on the aol server?

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3847 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

This? Isn’t your aol address book stored on the aol server?

Sure was. But now? Who knows?

BTW, being half Irish, 'plunderer' is my familyname in Old Irish - Foley = Foghláda. Before my dad's family became locals to Co. Cork, they came from Southern Norway - hence 'plunderer/raider'.

Thought you'd like to know. Wink

No knowledge is wasted.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Since a power failure caused the problem I assume it’s with a computer. Can’t you restore from a backup? If you don’t backup your computer you’re vulnerable to even worse problems.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8919 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Hi tac,

Not familiar with AOL. Do you use a browser to access it or an email client?

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12105 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I would think you have a smartphone so can you try logging on to aol from the smartphone?

If you're accessing aol on your computer via a browser, I'll offer "clear your cache and cookies" like I see so often.

Lastly, I switched to google which has a better interface for everyday things you need like calendar, address book, mail, photo storage, cloud storage, etc. You might consider doing the same.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Really confused, pretty sure AOL contacts are stored on their server, no?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Remote storage makes some sense in this case, therefore cleaning the browser cache and/or accessing the account from a different location is likely a step in the right direction.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12105 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post