SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Protest ignites after Chicago police fatally shoot man
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Protest ignites after Chicago police fatally shoot man Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:

All I'm saying, for now, is that this doesn't fit the behavior of a CCW carrier. IF HE REALLY WAS ONE!!!!!

It's not about the behavior of a CCW carrier.
It's about the media pushing an agenda.

It's not like CCW licenses are top secret information. It takes a good reporter about 5 extra minutes of keyboard work to find that information out. Yet, they would rather cast doubt, be it ever so slightly to push that agenda.

I've been on literally hundreds of shooting scenes in my 23 years at this circus, and it's pretty much the same. Mr/Mrs "I seent it alls" was 6 blocks away. The media has a tendency to put on or quote the dumbest ghetto rat that they can find.
The articulate people are the ones who stay away from the media on scenes, for 2 reasons: they don't want the reprisals from the neighborhood, (look at the store & store owner in the Mike Brown case) and that they're smart enough to stay away from the camera-reporters.

Again, my bet stands at $20.
Hell, I'll double it saying he had at least one (given his age, probably more) felony arrests in his background.

I'm currently on vacation (until 3:30pm today), and know only what the media released about this incident.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
...I'm currently on vacation (until 3:30pm today), and know only what the media released about this incident.

Get back to us when you get the story. And pardon my cynicism of everything and everybody north of I-80 and east of Rte 53 -- with the obvious exception of yourself and our other two SigForum/CPD members, they're all liars, stupid, and most damning, Democrats.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9146 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More info here. I have no idea what bodycam will show, but even if footage shows the dead guy firing at the LEOs, THE PROTESTS WILL CONTINUE.

The link has about 15 photos.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20180715-story.html

Man fatally shot by police identified; police to release body camera footage of incident

Katherine Rosenberg-Douglas, William Lee and Morgan GreeneContact Reporters
Chicago Tribune July 15, 1:55PM

The medical examiner’s office on Sunday identified the man who was fatally shot by a Chicago police officer Saturday evening, and police announced they would be releasing body camera footage of the shooting.

Harith Augustus, 37, of the 7000 block of South Merrill Avenue in Chicago’s South Shore neighborhood, was pronounced dead at Jackson Park Hospital at 5:50 p.m. Saturday, according to a statement from the medical examiner’s office. An autopsy was to be performed Sunday.

Augustus was shot during a confrontation with officers about 5:30 p.m. at 2098 E. 71st St. in the South Shore neighborhood, near where he worked at a barbershop, according to friend Antoine Howell, 42.

Howell was still in the barbershop when he heard the gunshots. He stayed in the area for a few hours and then went to his party.

“I’m having a party and my friend just got shot,” Howell said.

At the party, Howell said he tried to not talk about the shooting or his friend.

“He’s a quiet person. He keeps to himself. He don’t bother nobody,” said Howell.

Augustus would only talk to customers at the shop if he had to, Howell said. He arrived at 9 a.m and left at 5 p.m. Howell said he had not met any family members or his daughter. Augustus didn’t even like people taking pictures of him, said Howell.

Howell said his family seemed to be the guys in the barbershop. They would talk and laugh about sports — especially basketball.

“He was so quiet and I opened him up,” Howell said. “And everybody at the shop was like, how did you do that?”

Howell said memorials are being planned for the barbershop and at the scene of the shooting.

Early Sunday afternoon, the barbershop was closed and the street was quiet.

The shooting occurred after patrol officers on foot saw a man who was “exhibiting characteristics of an armed person,” chief Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said. “He looked like he may have something on him. They go to question him, and at that point a confrontation ensues and he is shot.’’

He had no details of the confrontation but said the man suffered several gunshot wounds and was pronounced dead at Jackson Park Hospital. A gun and two ammunition magazines were recovered, Guglielmi said.

Augustus’ death set off five hours of unrest as protesters gathered. Additional protests are planned for 5 p.m. Sunday near Jeffery Plaza.

Guglielmi said the initial encounter between officers and the man, and possibly the shooting, was captured by body cameras and police surveillance video.

Outside Chicago Public Safety Headquarters on Sunday, William Calloway, a community activist, told reporters during a noontime news conference that he had filed a Freedom of Information Act request with authorities seeking footage from body cameras, dashboard cameras and police surveillance cameras that captured Saturday’s shooting.

Calloway said only the release of video of the shooting would calm community residents distrustful of police.

“If it’s a justified shooting, just release it to us,” Calloway said outside headquarters at 3510 S. Michigan Avenue. “As of now the tensions are high,” he added, bashing police and Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

Hours later in a rare move, CPD’s news affairs division sent an email announcing that at 2:40 p.m. Sunday, police Superintendent Eddie Johnson would release body camera footage related to the stop and shooting.

“This department is not fixed. This department is racist … unconstitutional and we're tired of it,” Calloway said during the news conference.

Saturday’s shooting, Calloway added, only heightened tensions being rubbed raw by the upcoming Laquan McDonald trial involving Officer Jason Van Dyke.

“I think that trial coming up with Jason Van Dyke has a lot to do with that tension,” he said. “Because we believe that because of the pattern we have seen … that this man will walk for what he did to Laquan. And we’re p----- off at the thought that he’ll walk. So these tensions in the black community are flaring up. And we are going to see more of that. More shootings. More protests will continue to (escalate).”

Calloway and other activists are planning a second evening of protests at the scene of Saturday night’s shooting.

As is routine, the officer who fired will be placed on 30-day desk duty while the Civilian Office of Police Accountability investigates.

Check back for updates.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the bodycam video. Pretty obvious even to me.

LINK: https://wgntv.com/2018/07/15/v...ago-police-shooting/

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Looked like he had a gun and intended to use it to me. Too bad the savages will continue to burn down their own community.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Video won't play for me. What really happened?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9146 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted July 15, 2018 04:10 PM Hide Post
Video won't play for me. What really happened?

Guy was clearly carrying a pistol and two mags. Appeared to reach for his weapon and was shot by police officer. Makes the eyewitnesses who state he was unarmed look like idiots. He did have a CCW, and should have known better than to pull away from the cop, run lift up his shirt and reach for a weapon. The weapon was clearly visible.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did he inform the cops that he had a CCW? Not that it would excuse aggression against them, but I'm wondering if he was just crazy, or did they figure out after-the-fact that he had it?

Edited to add, I found the vid on WGN's website, no sound, so who can tell? I does look like he panicked when they surrounded him, broke away and reached for his gun.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

posted Hide Post
quote:
Did he inform the cops that he had a CCW? Not that it would excuse aggression against them, but I'm wondering if he was just crazy, or did they figure out after-the-fact that he had it?

Edited to add, I found the vid on WGN's website, no sound, so who can tell? I does look like he panicked when they surrounded him, broke away and reached for his gun.

We do not know. Training and personality characteristics dictate behavior in these situations. I have been pulled over more than once when carrying and never had any trouble. If you can trust any comments from these folks he was a paranoid sort of individual. My training covered situations such as he encountered. Follow instructions simple as that.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
...If you can trust any comments from these folks he was a paranoid sort of individual...

I caught that, too.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Based on the bodycam footage, I have to say that it looks like a clean shoot. The video very clearly shows him with his hand gripping his weapon - not a smart move when you are confronted by police.

CCW or not, he was a fool for reaching for his gun or doing anything other than putting his hands up and complying with whatever the cops were asking him to do. How many examples do you need to see before you figure that out???

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
Belt, holster, gun, mag pouches.

Perhaps he did have a CCW.

But he certainly didn't have a single lick of good sense -- or he was up to no good.

Either way, from what I can see in the video he was attempting to pull that pistol and get it into play.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
It appears things started escalating at around 0:09. At that time the white female officer appears to be trying to grab Augustus' right arm. Up until that point all appeared calm. He appears to have been fetching I.D. with his left hand. You can see that, also. at 0:09, and even more clearly at 0:10.

Be nice to hear audio. And see a 2nd body cam angle.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It appears things started escalating at around 0:09. At that time the white female officer appears to be trying to grab Augustus' right arm. Up until that point all appeared calm. He appears to have been fetching I.D. with his left hand. You can see that, also. at 0:09, and even more clearly at 0:10.

Be nice to hear audio. And see a 2nd body cam angle

Yep. It would. I am impressed though at the speed at which this body cam was released. In the past it was years before this stuff would see the light of day. This happened just yesterday.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Looks pretty clear he was trying to pull his gun to me.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I noticed the linked article says:

"[Police Supt] Johnson said police checked “every database” and could find no evidence Augustus had a concealed carry permit, and there was no question he was armed when he was shot."

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
[Police Supt] Johnson said police checked “every database” and could find no evidence Augustus had a concealed carry permit, and there was no question he was armed when he was shot."

Yep. As the story develops facts emerge. The article did say he had a FOID card. That is clearly not a CCW.

posted Hide Post
I watched the released footage, frame by frame. There is no question the subject was wearing a sidearm and two magazines. It's clear that when the video starts, the subject's wallet is in his hand, and his ID is out, and he's displaying it. There's no sound, so the essentials of why he broke away aren't clear. He was surrounded, his ID open, and initially he was compliant; it does leave the impression that he didn't want to be searched. Maybe it was the firearm, but who knows?

It's very clear that as he moved away from the officers, he reached for the pistol and took a grip on it. It's clear that he covered it as he moved, and attempted to draw it. His pants are loose as is his belt, and the entire holster and weapon come up in his hand together. He turns back, with the appearance of attempting to draw as he turns, and the video looks like he can't clear the weapon from the holster.

His body actions from that point suggest multiple hits from the officers. The one wearing the body cam appears to be using a Glock with Trijicon HD sights with an orange front (side note).

Every indication in the video shows the subject attempting to draw his weapon. If that is correct, then it was over for him the moment he reached for the belt line.

It's not true that the two options are fight or flight. Both ended badly for him and he tried to do both at the same time.

It was a very savvy move to release the video same day, given the volatile environment in Chicago with shootings. One would have to be blind to look at it and not see what occurred. Releasing the video this quickly minimizes the possibility of others suggesting the video was manipulated. It's clear enough to run frame by frame and see it happen. They did do a zoom on the waistband momentarily, which means it's not unedited and continuous, but in my opinion, it's more than good enough to erase doubt that it was a righteous shoot.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Clean shoot.

Body cams win again.

The next march will be to protest body cams. These hate groups hate that these things have shown the vast, vast majority of their BS protests to be based on bogus information.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, now maybe he didn't have a CCW, which would explain why he tried to run, and justify shooting him when he went for his piece.

Not enough time, not enough facts.

I'm hoping CPD SIG gets back to us with some facts, so I'll give him time.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18