SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I pulled our son's tooth tonight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I pulled our son's tooth tonight Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted
In mid-November he lost his first one, an adult tooth was poking behind it. That one came out with him pushing on it with his tongue and giving it a couple tugs and it miracled itself onto his lower lip. 2 weeks later on the way to see family for Thanksgiving he lost the one next to it in a McDonald's biscuit. He bumped something at school a week ago and the next one over became loose. Each time he was complaining of pain and whining for days before it came out.

Well, this 3rd one tonight was looking all snaggly tooth like it was begging to get yanked. He's been working it every day a couple times a day. We iced it a bit and he wasn't complaining and was tugging at it unsuccessfully with a napkin to get a grip. He was trying to pry it out instead of yank it out vertically though. I asked him if I could try and to my surprise, he said yes. I iced it up again, grabbed that sucker and yanked. The sound and feeling of it coming out will never escape me. I was actually more scared than him. It popped out with minimal force and he didn't cry, squirm or do anything. He manned up big time for it, more than I ever remember doing as a kid. He's 5 1/2 by the way. The little bit of blood hasn't bothered him for any of them.

Luckily, I have a large stash of Eisenhower dollars. Yesterday I was taking delivery of a new family truckster for out upcoming #3, today I am being a dentist. Parenthood, its a never ending adventure.

Posts: 2512 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Nice job Dad. 5 1/2 years young and hes getting a Ike. He will think thats pretty awsome.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Our 6 yr old was adamant about doing it herself, took a couple days, but she got it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15254 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Our six year old daughter just lost two back to back also

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Did he discover the Ike dollar yet? Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Did he discover the Ike dollar yet? Big Grin

Oh yeah, the first time in November I had told him about the tooth fairy. Our kids are in a bunk bed for now, our son up top and daughter down below. I put the Ike under his pillow and a JFK half under hers "to reward her for good tooth brushing." In the morning they both thought his dollar fell down from up top to under her pillow. Neither had seen a JFK half either. I told him to look under his pillow...."WOW! Look how big it is!" When we went home for Thanksgiving I took one along with me. This morning they did the same thing again, thinking her JFK half was his "dollar."

I got Ike dollars when I was a kid (born 1980), they were still somewhat harder to come by then, because that was the time of lame Susan B Anthony's. The "gold" dollars now are pretty "mehh" in my opinion. There is nothing like the size and weight of an Ike, Peace, or Morgan.

Back in the big silver and gold rush 8 or so years ago, I asked the local US Bank when depositing my check if they had an "big dollars" out of habit, hoping an ill-advised teller would give me a stack of Morgans for face value Federal Reserve Notes. One day they had some 300 Ikes. I bought them all; unfortunately, none were 40% silver.

Posts: 2512 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I had a feeling he'd like that big coin. My sister in law bought all my Ikes years back. Shes gone now so my brother has them. The Morgans and Peace dollars are beautiful coins. The tooth fairy did good!

posted Hide Post
I started losing my baby teeth when I was 4 and had all of my adult teeth by 8. The second one of them started wiggling, I ripped it out. Couldn't resist.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 811 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Just don't get caught putting $$$ under the pillow. The tooth fairy myth will dissolve very quickly.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Just popped my youngest child's last baby tooth a few weeks ago. A milestone. I was definitely melancholy about it. It's a true "dad" duty. And I... sniff,.. I was DAMN good at it! Smile

Posts: 11376 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
Whenever I was about 5 or so, my dad decided to pull one of my front teeth, which was loose. So he tied a string around it and the other end to the door knob. Then he slammed the door. It yanked out my tooth along with a huge amount of my gum. Bled like crazy, hurt like hell. After my new tooth grew in, my school photos for years after that showed the high gum line on that new tooth. I was extremely self-conscious about it.

Ignorant people have ignorant ways.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post