SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What band hooked you?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What band hooked you? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I've got to say CCR. As far as softer stuff I would say America, later the Eagles.

When I was in college, in Marquette MI, I saw America in Green Bay WI., Green bay is directly south of Marquette and
on the way back home I got to watch the northern lights all the way home.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a kid, my parents played the Beatles quite a bit, Blood Sweat and Tears, Simon and Garfunkel, Broadway show tunes, and Classical music. Not too bad, condsidering.

THEN, one day in 1976 (7th grade) I went over to a friend's house to hang out and a few of his older / high-school siblings were there, and they played Led Zeppelin, absolutely CRANKING it out on their Bose 901's!

In addition to Zep, my friend's older siblings turned me on to The Stones, The Who, Santana, Hendrix and a lot of classic rock'n roll bands of the era, which I still favor to this day!

That day at the Cassano's house forever changed my life!

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jefferson Airplane when I heard White Rabbit for the first time. Later on Heart and Leslie West (Mountain). Nantucket Sleighride caught my ear.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
The Cars, around 1979-1980.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Agree with Pal on America...for that genre. Fleetwood Mac's first album snagged me too.

But I'd have to go with Pink Floyd. Hadn't heard much of anything from them previously, but one day I went into the sound room of a local stereo shop, complete with acoustic tiles and the first Mylar speakers. I listened to the whole Wall album in perfect stereo and was blown away. That was the beginning of a lifelong obsession with all things Floyd.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wasn't a music fan at all as a kid, but then I randomly overheard the Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show while eating dinner one night, and their sound really was just magical.

The greatest rock "hook" of all time, however, has to be those two notes.....by Hendrix.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I also had musical beginnings with Black Sabbath when my uncle let me borrow Paranoid. I was 4. I think the band that truly hooked me was Queen though. Columbia House 8-track club! I got Jazz and News of the World on the same day.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Iron Maiden was my gateway band.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Jethro Tull - Living in the Past

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The Happy Jazz Band, live from the Landing on the San Antonio Riverwalk, on WOAI, Friday nights, in the ‘60’s. Of course, I loved almost all Dixieland, Louis, Pete, Bix, Turk, Bob Schulz et al.

I am a 2 time graduate of the America’s Finest City Dixieland Jazz school.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The Band.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Clapton, in all forms but probably Cream was the first hook.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I can quit any time

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Skynard and Allman Bros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxIWDmmqZzY

Smok'in hot! From 6mins to the end on the Freebird vid for fantastic guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMmTkKz60W8

Simple kind of man

Allman Bros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFNbTdLfBwQ

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
The Beatles on Ed Sullivan on Sunday, February 9, 1964. The next week my hair was combed down instead of up and I bought black boots, black pants and a guitar.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
In 1976, my friend let me listen to his 8 track of Judas Priest Sad Wings of Destiny
Victim of Changes did it for me.

Been a fan ever since and seen them 32 times in concert.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Elvis Costello and the Attractions,

saw him on SNL in the late 70's, friend bought GET HAPPY! and I bought my own copy and THIS YEARS MODEL
ended up with just about every thing he has done,

seen him with the attractions, solo, with other artists and with the imposters,

probably 15 shows live,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Lot's of them, but Metallica was my first. I was 11 in 1984 when I heard For Whom the Bell Tolls, I was hooked.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Steely Dan.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Steely Dan here too.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post