SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What band hooked you?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What band hooked you? Login/Join 
posted
I remember the first time I heard Black Sabbath. I put on their Master of Reality cassette when I was a young teen. After Sweet Leaf’s smokers cough was done, I don’t think I heard 3 notes and I was hooked. I couldn’t get enough.

The only other time that happened was when a HS girlfriend played the live version of YYZ for me. It was slightly less dramatic but the hooks went just as deep. What band grabbed you?

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AC/DC.
Those about to rock, salute you!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16072 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Heart. At one time I owned everything they recorded!

Attended their concert here in Huntsville and was right against the retaining wall center stage. Stood there for hours enduring the high dB of the opening band while waiting on Ann and Nancy to come onstage! By the time they did, I was deaf. I still enjoyed the show as I could have reached out and touched them, but my ears rang for days, and have never quit.

That was the early ‘80’s, and my last live concert where I was up close!!!

Posts: 4584 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
First album I bought was Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

Then I heard ZZ Top and went to every concert they had within driving distance for 20 years.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
The Mighty Led Zeppelin!

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
AC/DC all the way. I remember listening to an LP at a friends house and my jaw was just hanging down. Got to see them two years ago which I'll always be extra grateful for because it was right before Brian Johnson stepped down from lead vocals. Angus is AC/DC but without Bon or Brian, it's not the same for me. Axl Rose just doesn't cut it IMO, although many say he did alright.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
1968, the 8th grade me. Working in the basement listening to "underground" music on WSAN in Allentown, PA. The DJ played a new band named Led Zeppelin. Thus started my Rock and Roll affliction.

In the mid-90's I discovered Singer/Songwriters on WXPN in Philadelphia. Lucinda Williams stole my heart.

Rock and Roll will never die. Singer Songwriters are pretty good too.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
So many choices to choose from.

First time I listened to UFOs album Strangers in the Night I was hooked on Rock.

Tools ‘Sober’ hooked me on the band. What a great ride that band has had.

‘Dirt on my Boots’ Hooked me on Jon Parde. This kid has a great future ahead of him if he can put out more hits like that.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
The Beatles were the first real band that I really got into, bought all their albums, searched for bootlegs, read books, etc. Later on, I did the same with Dylan.

But the band that mattered to me was The Replacements. Bought their records the first day of release. Bought their 45s. Went to all of their shows locally.

Haven't been into any bands or artists in a long time. I still buy CDs regularly, mostly catching up with older rock and jazz.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
Uriah Heep "Demons and Wizards" It came out when I was 12.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
The Eagles

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The Gaslight Anthem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
The Doors first album was the first one I bought, but the first band I was all in on was the Allman Bros. Band.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3446 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was swooped up in Beatlemania in '64. I'd been a Doo whopper.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Metallica. I'm finally going to see them in concert on the 22nd.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aerosmith and Boston.

Posts: 3591 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill Haley and The Comets. Yep, I'm that old !

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Crosby, Stills, and Nash

First concert I ever saw too, in 1977

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Credence Clearwater Revival.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Honestly I don’t remember which I heard first, but it was ZZ Top and Metallica. ZZ Top Afterburner was the first concert I went to. I still listen to classic rock today when I workout or ride my motorcycle; otherwise it is relaxing music.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post