SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Teaching Stick to 17yo
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teaching Stick to 17yo Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Have been teaching the kids to drive here on the ranch. I don't believe there are three flat square feet on the place. Mrs. slosig finally agreed our (now 15 years old) son was ready to drive solo on the ranch at 10, though this was in the "family truck" which is automatic. He has managed my work truck ('03 Tacoma extracab w/ v6 & a five speed) but doesn't like it and isn't comfortable with it. She took a lot longer to turn our daughter (now 13 years old) loose, but the daughter does much better with the manual tranny.

I started them both on a flatish area, had them put down the window and with the right foot on the brake and the left foot on the clutch, put it in first and ever so slowly let the clutch out until you just start to hear the engine slow down a bit. Hold clutch foot still, take right foot off of brake and put on the gas, but don't add any. Slowly, slowly, slowly ease a little more clutch out. Once they get a feel for taking off slowly without killing it, they are ready to work on doing it a little faster with a LITTLE throttle added. Once they have that it is torture time on the hills. Smile

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
lol i learned stick on a black fiat 124 spider 1978 it was my moms car.

For me it was a 1979 Honda Civic hatchback.

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MWills
posted Hide Post
For me it was a 47 Willys Jeep Overland in the pasture. I was 9 yrs old at the time.

I was ​always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps ​getting harder to find one.

Posts: 392 | Location: Mark Twain land, MO | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
I had a hell of a time trying to learn stick before I understood the mechanism.

Once I understood how the clutch worked mechanically, it was no problem.

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My wife and I both taught in the MSF Motorcycle Safety Course for a number of years. We spent a fair amount of time in the course with new riders exploring the "friction point" of the clutch. Just start in motion, travel a foot or two, then squeeze the clutch lever and stop. Rinse and repeat.

I did basically the same thing when I taught my younger step-son to drive my manual transmission Mercedes 240D. It took him maybe ten minutes of start, stop, start, stop, ... to become comfortable with it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
61 Chevy Biscayne. 3 on the tree. In my back yard!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I was almost 18 when my dad taught me to drive. (We lived in Detroit, that had a great bus system and I either walked, biked, or rode the bus everywhere I went.) Our family car had a manual transmission. I am (and was not) particularly coordinated and the lessons were not easy for me. OTOH, my dad wasn't the most patient person, either. When we'd come in from a teaching session, my mom would look at us and say "I don't know who to feel the sorriest for". However, I did eventually learn to be a capable manual-shift driver and all my autos until the 2006 Mustang had manual transmission. (Caveat: the "fun" 1966 Mustang I bought restored in the 1990 timeframe does have an automatic transmission--it wasn't my choice but chance put it into my hands.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My drivers ed class, round about 1959, was in a '57 DeSoto with 3 on the tree. I've driven a stick ever since. It's the only way to get the feel of the driveline.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I rode motorcycles as a kid so I jumped into a car with a manual transmission and eased the clutch out and eased the throttle till it smoothly engaged. I had very little to no learning curve.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I learned on a stick, then three on the tree. Driving automatic for the first time was a strange experience.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
I taught myself to drive in an '84 Jeep CJ7. Bench seat, long shifter lever down to the floor. The gearbox was kind of touchy, not exactly a "finely-tuned" piece of equipment. And from an idle it was slow to rev, so it required a good feel to operate well.

I always felt that starting off with something like that made me a much better standard driver.

Years later I had a girlfriend who bought a new Jeep, auto trans. Whenever I drove it I always thought "this is just wrong."

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
I learned on a stick, then three on the tree. Driving automatic for the first time was a strange experience.

For my wedding in France, we rented a nice "luxury" car for the day of the wedding (a really nice Audi). It was an automatic. I had to teach my wife's brother how to drive it. He had never before been in one. He eventually got the gist of it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:

Ooh, three on the tree. (For readers going "WTF?", three-speed transmission with the shifter on the steering column.) Those are lots of fun when the shift linkage gets worn out.

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
61 Chevy Biscayne. 3 on the tree. In my back yard!

My first was a '63 Biscayne with the same configuration. That was in Green Bay. In 1967 the car had the drivers side floorboard rusted out along with cancer all over the place. They sure don't make them like they used to.

Up until a year ago, 3 of our 4 cars were 6 speeds. Our adult daughter could only drive the Pathfinder.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
My Father held the viewpoint that if you couldn't drive a stick, you couldn't drive.

Thanks Dad.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
One thing I don't know how to do with a straight drive is "double-clutching." This isn't necessary with a synchromesh transmission, but my brother has several antique cars that predate this, and until fairly recently (now they have semi-automated manuals), heavy trucks also don't have them. However, a driver skilled with a non-synchro transmission can shift them faster, or not even use the clutch (once moving) at all.

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Surfer
posted Hide Post
Last vehicle I sold was a 2500 Dodge Ram diesel with manual tranny. A young man, looked to be in mid 20's came to look at it and brought his dad to test drive it for him. He bought it but sold it about a month later, said he just couldn't get the hang of shifting.

Posts: 1639 | Location: South East Mo. | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you are done teaching him, could you give me a lesson. Not being able to drive stick here in Europe sucks.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Maybe rent a stick vehicle for a weekend.
It will possibly save your clutch and avoid some nasty sounds, from you and the tranny.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I taught both of our kids. Both have owned vehicles with manual transmissions. Our son's Ford Ranger has one now.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post