SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Teaching Stick to 17yo
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teaching Stick to 17yo Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted
Wish me luck.

If I don't survive, please know I loved you all.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
????????????

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
My condolences to the clutch.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. Just went thru this with my oldest daughter, and son prior to that. Good luck!

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I had a simple rule when my girls were old enough t o drive.
You must learn on a stick. They did. Their boyfriends couldn't and never drove their cars Wink

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
you will be fine,hill with a red light will test you though Big Grin

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
They are NOT going to like manual trans once they figure out that driving and fiddling with their smartphone is NOT going to happen! Big Grin

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I used to teach it when I taught Driver's Ed. One word...PATIENCE

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Practicing start and stops in an empty church parking lot. He starts down a slight grade then brings it around stops. Rinse and repeat.

We'll probably go into mass soon and thank God for surviving.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I got off to a rough start at first learning clutch engagement, but eventually got through it. Later in life I drove nothing but "straight drive" for almost 15 years, and it is also necessary on occasion for my work.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
In my world, everyone would have to pass his driving test with a manual before he could get his license.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
lol i learned stick on a black fiat 124 spider 1978 it was my moms car.

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Sometimes its good to have learned how to ride a motorcycle before being old enough for a driver's license. Stick was still a bit of a PITA initially, though.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
I learned to drives tick the day I bought the vehicle in 1980.
About four years prior, teaching was attempted on an over 20 year old Willy's Jeep. Lot's of cursing from my father/instructor.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I learned in 1985 on my father's '55 Chevy. I can still recall the smell of burnt clutch. Smile

I had worked on a dairy farm for two years at this point, so I knew how to drive tractors. That made the learning curve slightly less steep.

Today, stick shifts are "Millenial Anti-Theft Devices."

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I learned how to drive stick in a deuce and half when I was in the Air Force. Never really received in depth instruction on the finer points so I'm probably not the best driver with a stick shift but at least I can drive one.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Practicing start and stops in an empty church parking lot...go into mass soon and thank God for surviving.

Sounds like you're counting on a little bit of Divine intervention! Big Grin

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
In my world, everyone would have to pass his driving test with a manual before he could get his license.

This.

Dad told me I was driving stick or not driving. His reasoning: If you have to drive someone to the hospital, are you gonna let them die because you can't drive stick? Plus its more fun & gives you more control. The only reason I'm getting an auto later this year is I'm getting my clutch knee replaced. As soon as it is back in business, I'm back to driving stick. He's turning 76 in 2 weeks & still has never owned an automatic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Empty parking lot or a dirt field will help.

The bigger the vehicle and engine the easier it is for the person to learn on.

The larger vehicles and larger engines are less prone to have the engine stall-out on a bad clutch engagement.

Also the larger vehicles are much less prone to jack-rabbit jerky starts.

Old pick-up trucks or old sedans work very well but are getting harder and harder to find and borrow.

They well do fine.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Teach him well.

I have a BIL who grew up on a farm. I would not have believed you if you told me he didn't know how to operate a standard transmission. He asked me to show him how to ride my Triumph Bonneville. Imagine my amazement when he stood it straight up on the back wheel and it died!

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post