SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A View of Life from the Elevated Seat of Age (or somethin’)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A View of Life from the Elevated Seat of Age (or somethin’) Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
I asked one of my friends who has crossed 70 & is heading to 80 what sort of changes he is feeling in himself?
He sent me the following very interesting lines, which I would like to share with you ....

#1 After loving my parents, my siblings, my spouse, my children, my friends, now I have started loving myself.

#2 I just realized that I am not “Atlas”. The world does not rest on my shoulders.

#3 I now stopped bargaining with vegetables & fruits vendors. A few pennies more is not going to burn a hole in my pocket but it might help the poor fellow save for his daughter’s school fees.

#4 I pay my waitress a big tip. The extra money might bring a smile to her face. She is toiling much harder for a living than me

#5 I stopped telling the elderly that they've already narrated that story many times. The story makes them walk down the memory lane & relive the past.

#6 I have learned not to correct people even when I know they are wrong. The onus of making everyone perfect is not on me. Peace is more precious than perfection.

#7 I give compliments freely & generously. Compliments are a mood enhancer not only for the recipient, but also for me. And a small tip for the recipient of a compliment, never, NEVER turn it down, just say "Thank You"

#8 I have learned not to bother about a crease or a spot on my shirt. Personality speaks louder than appearances.

#9 I walk away from people who don't value me. They might not know my worth, but I do.

#10 I remain cool when someone plays dirty to outrun me in the rat race. I am not a rat & neither am I in any race.

#11 I am learning not to be embarrassed by my emotions. It’s my emotions that make me human.

#12 I have learned that it's better to drop the ego than to break a relationship. My ego will keep me aloof, whereas with relationships I will never be alone.

#13 I have learned to live each day as if it's the last. After all, it might be the last.

#14 I am doing what makes me happy. I am responsible for my happiness, and I owe it to myself. Happiness is a choice. You can be happy at any time, just choose to be!

Full disclosure, this was not sent to me firsthand. Somebody wrote it and a friend passed it along.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Great wisdom.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Most of those resonated with me, but especially numbers 3 and 4 which I have come to embrace very strongly in recent years. As long as I can afford to spend money on the unnecessary such as eating out, I can afford to be somewhat generous to people who may not be able to.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Yep, I'm there. I walk away from internet arguments quickly.
Also I see the 30-45 yr old in their mighty positions that they are so proud of, knowing that their time will come and they'll be where I am now.
....A Has been....
Still it hurts, sometimes I want to reclaim my position of ego. But It falls on deaf ears. So I'm learning to just be quiet and do what I do.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
I am at that age and I have learned that to be really happy I have to enjoy the sunrise and not fear the sunset and live my life between the two.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by low8option:
I am at that age and I have learned that to be really happy I have to enjoy the sunrise and not fear the sunset and live my life between the two.

That old coot must stay up all night. I sort of remember that the sun does come up in the middle of the night, but I have no intention getting up that early. Sunrises are for sleeping through. Sunsets are kind of sad because the day is half over. But at least it won't shine on my face and hurt my eyes again until tomorrow. Glad to see it go.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
#1 for me!

until covid, enjoying my life + volunteering, going to the gym were more enjoyable than a great career.

i was doing things i wanted to do, when i wanted to do 'em, not because i had to!!

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in my 80th year. Retired three years. All good words of wisdom. I am absolutely in line with them, in fact as a service engineer for a major diesel and turbine manufacturer for 20 years, I have lived some of them for many years.

Posts: 916 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by low8option:

That old coot must stay up all night. I sort of remember that the sun does come up in the middle of the night, but I have no intention getting up that early. Sunrises are for sleeping through. Sunsets are kind of sad because the day is half over. But at least it won't shine on my face and hurt my eyes again until tomorrow. Glad to see it go.

Have no idea what you are trying to say but my analogy is about the sunrise of our life is our birth and the sunset is our death and living to the fullest between them.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
At 78, these pearls of wisdom make a lot of sense.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
3,6,8 and 14 are codes I live by.

I just wish I could impress upon my children and grandchildren the value of #14

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I keep hoping I will have time to do the woodworking and other hobbies I like, but duty as Dad and Grandpa keep calling me back.
I hope things will calm down soon.

But I like the sentiments, and agree with most.

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess at 76 yrs. old, I can express a somewhat educated opinion:

When I was younger, I thought the two most important parts of human relationships were to be needed and appreciated. Now that I have "matured", I still love being needed, but I no longer have much need to be appreciated. Being needed feeds my sense of worth to my family and community. Being appreciated feeds my ego and my wife says that part of me needs to be on a diet!

Posts: 1626 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I'm 72 and realize my wisest decision was to have accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior. Makes life so much better and my eternal future and joy is a gift from a God who loves me inspite of my faults. The best is yet to come.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post