SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How many HAM operators here?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many HAM operators here? Login/Join 
posted
Just out of curiosity? I am thinking about doing the online study guide and testing for my HAM license. Any reason not to do this?

Posts: 613 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I used the ARRL study books for each level, and also bought a code-teaching cassette tape (code still required in the early 1990's. I just squeaked by my code test on the second try. The whole process from Tech to Extra took six months. Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
I'm about to do the same.

Operator KB6NU has created (and updates) these fantastic study guides. The Technician Guide can be downloaded for free.

https://hamstudy.org/ is good for learning and practicing the tests.

The Reddit Amateur Radio sub is a good place.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Yo!

Online guides are where it’s at.

I got the study book and ham for dummies. Learned the theory and then started taking the tests. It’s not hard but it’s not easy.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ten years ago I passed the Technician exam after reading the Gordon West book. They were offering the General exam at the same exam venue and I passed that as well, without any additional study. I'm not, by any means, a Techie. The bar for these two licenses isn't very high.

After a year I decided I would pass the Extra exam. There is a website called www.hamtestonline.com I started taking practice exams and read the Gordon West book that prepares you for the Extra license. I passed it.

Aside from a weekly check in with a group of HAM operators in the Church I don't cruise the "highway looking for adventure and whatever comes my way". Listening to others it sounds a lot like CB radio in the 70's. If an emergency occurs communication is vital and I hope I'll be good to go.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Ham, Bacon, Pork Chops, I'm all over it, but I don't know that I'd call myself an "operator".

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
One plus if you have a local club holding classes you will already have some ham friends if you need help setting up your station, putting up antennas etc.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Technician, studying for General. Second the KB6NU guides, as well as K4IA's "Pass Your Amateur Radio Tech/General/Extra" series (latter isn't free, but cheap on Amazon, hard copy or Kindle.)

Also, ARRL's free exam review site at http://arrlexamreview.appspot.com/. Run through the review, then a few exam simulations.

You can have a bunch of fun with only Technician privileges. Definitely a gateway drug.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been licensed since May 1966 and really benefited from the experience. I was very active until a few years ago when we moved into a restrictive area, but when we move back to the country, I'll be back to full activity. So, for now, I just operate 2M/70CM with a dual band vertical in the attic. Go for it!

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
General here. Yes, by all means take a whack at passing both Tech and General at the same time. My buddy who tested with me scored the trifecta and passed his Extra as well (but years in Navy comms helped!)

One of the tools I used was a free phone app called Ham Test Prep. It's basically a flashcard thing, makes it easy to get some study in anytime you have a few minutes waiting in line, etc.

Whatever you use, make sure the pool questions are current.
My local VEC doesn't even charge for the tests.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zoom6zoom,

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
ham here

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
W4GPS here. VIS study guides as well as online practice tests are great.

Great fun all around. Love the experimentation, kit building, and comraderie. It’s a lot like here but for radio heads.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Advanced class licensed since 1993.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Got my Tech in `07, upgraded to General a few months later. I haven't been active in a while now, but NO, there's absolutely no reason not to go ahead and do it.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Extra here. Go for it, a fun hobby and another tool in the kit.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6474 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Extra here, although my interests are turning to astrophotography. Both can get expensive quick if you let it. A little time studying and to take the ham test doesn’t cost much if any. So no reason not dip your toes in it.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Ham here too. Still need to get my general.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4311 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Extra class here, been a ham since my teenage years. There are some good apps that help you with the study. Gordan West has good study materials too.

Rich -
P226R 9MM
P239 .40 / .357
S&W 340 PD
S&W 1911DK
SA Saint Edge Ar
Buckmark Camper

Posts: 62 | Location: Denver, Colorado | Registered: March 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Extra class, here. Achieved it over 15 years ago.

I helped at a VE session this morning. The table for the test examiners was full, so I helped the coordinator with taking the results out to the candidates.

Here is one site I've always recommended for trying out the test - it gives you information on what elements you need to study before going for the exam.

http://aa9pw.com/

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
Extra here. On line or books, both ways work.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 647 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post