SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Speed Queen Owners...Model Advice ***Update - Last Post***
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speed Queen Owners...Model Advice ***Update - Last Post*** Login/Join 
Family Man
posted
My washing machine died last week, and based on what I've read in the search, the Speed Queen comes highly recommend on the forum.

At the dealer today, I noticed there is a TC5000 and a TR series. I've read up on them on the Speed Queen website, but I've seen some pretty negative reviews of the TR series. The TC seems to be based heavily on the classic Speed Queens, so the reviews are solid.

Does anyone have a TR series? What is your opinion of its performance overall?

Thanks in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Brett257,

Posts: 987 | Registered: December 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I have a TC series. The people I know who like the TR series are those who never really have heavily soiled clothes, so they don’t miss the active agitator.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
The TC5 is the one you want. The TR series isn’t as durable. They say the TR’s clean clothes better (I don’t believe that personally), but it’s at the cost of less durability. The TR’s are also auto-fill. The TC5 has a deep fill button to completely fill the tub.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Not recommended by me ,went thru that shit many years back in first X just had to have.
The second mistake the first was the X

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I bought a set of original analog SQ in 2016. Completely trouble free.

Posts: 4693 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I just went down the same rabbit hole, and after a bunch of research, bought a TC5 and DC5 set. They'll be delivered in about 3 weeks, so I don't have any first hand experience yet.

Everyone here and elsewhere on the web says the TR series isn't as durable, and doesn't do as good of a job at cleaning.

But the flip side is that the TR are more efficient, and more gentle on clothes since they don't have an agitator. And SQ is trying hard to push people towards them, with longer warranties and manufacturer rebates.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just took delivery of a TC5 which replaced an LG front load. The Speed Queen is a solid machine. It works like it should and I expect many years of service from it.

The SQ doesn't have all of the fancy presets, delay-wash settings and colorful lights like the trendy units have (less to break); but it does get the clothes clean. The SQ has a smaller tub than the front-load units, you cannot wash a couple of comforters at the same time.

The TC5 also gives the user the ability to choose a hot water fill whereas other non-SQ units mix cold water with the hot. Because it actually uses enough water to properly wash clothes, it completes a cycle in about 1/2 hour.

A bonus is that it's made in the USA.

To my surprise, Home Depot stocks a set of USA-made rubber supply hoses that are color coded, red-hot and blue-cold. They were about $15. The braided SS hoses next to them and marketed by the same company, were made in China and about $10 more.

Posts: 114 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Not recommended by me ,went thru that shit many years back in first X just had to have.

Is that English?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Is that English?

Must be classified information!

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
not recommended by me ,
Went thru that shit. many
years back in first X
just had to
have.
The second Mistake the
X first was the

Fixed that for you.

Or maybe Yodash?

quote:
Not recommended by me , to have went thru that shit many years back in first x just had. the first was the x
The second mistake.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Big Grin

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Family Man
posted Hide Post
***Update 7/13***

We ended up going with the TC5. We've had it a little over a week, and it has been fantastic.

The dealer really tried to push us to the TR series by highlighting the new wash system and better warranty, but didn't seem surprised when we went with the TC5.

Posts: 987 | Registered: December 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have been waiting for our washer to die, I hate the thing (High Efficiency GE) but I'm too "frugal" to discard it while it still works.

It has finally started to misbehave and I am not going to spend one dime on fixing it.

Speed Queen is the most likely candidate for replacement.

Several previous posters have gone with the TC5. I have two questions for you:
  1. What was the cost? My email address is in my profile, if you don't want to post here.

2. Can you post a photo of the control panel? I looked at the Speed Queen website, but I do not find a decent image of this.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

• Can you post a photo of the control panel? I looked at the Speed Queen website, but I do not find a decent image of this.[/list]

• Here's a nice video that shows the control panel, if that helps.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CRExIP-oQY

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post