SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who brings 14 grand in cash to a car dealership
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who brings 14 grand in cash to a car dealership Login/Join 
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I forgot about farmers. Only lived in rural Midwest for a couple of years. That is certainly true. The other group that pays in cash are rappers. I have seen videos where they go to high end dealerships and count the money out on the hood.

I live nothing close to anything that is commonly described as rural, and paying cash for cars and guns is very common. The more expensive, the more likely the transaction will be in cash.

Every used car or gun I have bought or sold has been purchased with cash...and we do count it out on the hood

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I live nothing close to anything that is commonly described as rural, and paying cash for cars and guns is very common. The more expensive, the more likely the transaction will be in cash.

Northern California as in Humboldt County?

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
as long as you have an explanation for it that stands up to scrutiny

I never got this. Is it that odd to not be in crippling debt and actually have money saved up? Having to prove where your own damn money came from is infuriating.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
As long as it is all real money.

I would rather have certified check and not have to worry about counting and dealing with that much cash and possibility of losing some of it or being robbed.

As someone who just did a little research in advance of selling two used cars, your naivety is showing.

It is way-easy to fake a certified check or money order today. Unless I am standing in the bank that issues it watching it be printed, I'm not taking it.

For cash, I also plan to swipe a thorough random sample of the hundy's being handed to me as well with a counterfeit detection pen. Critics/skeptics/committed asses in my recent thread be damned....

Well of course I would not let go of any property until check proceeds were permanently in my account. I thought that was a given. Roll Eyes

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
A man with cash is welcome in a lot of places.

That said, these days, as long as you have an explanation for it that stands up to scrutiny, and you are willing to take the risk of loss or theft, have at it.

I recently moves my home owners insurance over to State Farm. Agent made sure I understood that the policy only covers a maximum of $500 in cash losses. I told her I was surprised it covered any cash. I asked if they get a lot of alleged claims for losses of large amount of cash and she said "all the time" LOL.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never got this. Is it that odd to not be in crippling debt and actually have money saved up? Having to prove where your own damn money came from is infuriating.

People are suspicious I suppose, and the government seems to be interested. My brokerage firm cannot accept cash, and the government requires reporting of deposits of greater than 10 thousand.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:
as long as you have an explanation for it that stands up to scrutiny

Yes, but the pervasiveness of drug trafficking, the need in those activities to deal in cash, the necessity to launder the cash, and the forfeiture laws of the fruits of drug trade combine to make it suspect whether it is or not.

The forfeiture activities are problematic and the incentives are not optimum. I'm not sure there is more good than harm, but right now that's what we have to deal with.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I wrote a personal check for my wife's Pathfinder and before prepping the vehicle for delivery, they had run a credit check because it was normally against their policy to take a personal check for the full amount. They then tried to persuade me to finance before releasing the vehicle I just wanted to be free of any payments being newly retired and having the funds allowed for both of us. Our cars were both respectively 12 and 13yrs old at the time. I actually got a better deal on my car by financing it. After a couple of payments I paid it off.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
I wrote a personal check for my wife's Pathfinder and before prepping the vehicle for delivery, they had run a credit check because it was normally against their policy to take a personal check for the full amount. They then tried to persuade me to finance before releasing the vehicle I just wanted to be free of any payments being newly retired and having the funds allowed for both of us. Our cars were both respectively 12 and 13yrs old at the time. I actually got a better deal on my car by financing it. After a couple of payments I paid it off.

Yep. Not that unusual and good for you! Most end up going the full term of the payments.

I was going to write a check for out new Honda Accord but they offered .9 percent financing for three years with my credit rating. So I took that as the bond fund I had my funds in was paying almost five times that plus had decent capital appreciation over the loan period.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I had a client decades ago who was Egyptian. One of his activities was acting a in loco parentis for young Saudi royals coming to the States for college.

He would help them with suitable housing, buy cars, open bank accounts etc. On one occasion, he accompanied three young men to the bank to meet with his friend, the branch manager, to open accounts. They arrived and were in the conference room completing paperwork. The manager asked the first young man what his opening deposit would be, and the young fellow put his attache case on the table, popped it open to display cash, $1.4 million. The manager ran out, locked the branch doors, closing the bank, and called police. It turned out these three students had about $3.5 million between them. One of them had to run out and get his briefcase out of the car where he had left it, full of cash.

It was the largest new account opening day in the history of the bank. The manager and his wife were flown first class to San Francisco, ensconced in a swanky hotel, wined and dined and feted in various other ways for a very long weekend.

This was a long time ago, when ~$3.5 million was a lot of money.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with paying with cash, nothing at all. What's crazy is that it seems weird to some, and is made to seem dodgy, when the only thing happening is using legal money just like people have done for ages. No electricity or internet connection required, either.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 46and2,

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
A man with cash is welcome in a lot of places.

Not so much anymore. It used to be you walk into a bank with $50k, it was
"Please to do business with you" "Here is a nice cigar." "Cindy will take you to the back to service you."

Now it is all like
"Where did you get this money?" "Why is there blood all over it?" "You got a pretty mouth."

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not so much anymore. It used to be you walk into a bank with $50k, it was
"Please to do business with you" "Here is a nice cigar." "Cindy will take you to the back to service you."

Now it is all like
"Where did you get this money?" "Why is there blood all over it?" "You got a pretty mouth.

That was funny thanks. I Think I may have met Cindy.

Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I had $19,000.00 in cash to buy a motorcycle at a dealer. I told him beforehand about the cash and he actually would have preferred a check because his bank gives him a hard time with large cash deposits. I thought that was strange because it is normal for a retail business to deposit cash.

I know of a waterman and restaurant owner that had two barrels filled with an estimated two million dollars in cash. It was ruined because they were stored in a shed and got water logged. They couldn't even count it because it had deteriorated so badly.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with paying in cash if it works to your advantage, but in a lot of situations it won't necessarily buy you a better deal.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Northern California as in Humboldt County?

San Francisco Bay Area and Sacramento

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
The real question is - who lays a satchel full of cash on the top of their car and drives off? If I was walking around with that much cash I'd probably handcuff it to my wrist somehow.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A guy tried to buy a customers yacht with $150k in cash in a garbage bag. Problem was he had a loan on it and they didn't want to take it to the bank. They owned a used tired and wheel store and I guess hung onto all of the cash over the years. My guess it was legit cash but they didn't pay taxes on it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Cash did work out too well for Denny Hastert.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Cash did work out too well for Denny Hastert

Hard to believe a Congressman did not know about laddering of transactions.