SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any one using a straight razor to shave
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any one using a straight razor to shave Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted
Any one using a straight razor to shave?
I started many years ago by using a multi blade razor. I did not like them, the space between the blades would always clog up.
Now I use a single blade safety razor. I like it but now I was thinking of going to a straight razor.
Has any one found a razor they liked more than another?
Is there any special shaving techniques I would need to know?
Any other Information would be helpful.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Did use mine for years when I shaved.
Used it in the shower.
Straight razors are just a tool in my hands.
I made a living as a barber when I got out of the navy in 1962.
I still have the one I got in 1959 with the home and strop.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I did for a number of years. Schedule/life changes, time constarints, laziness and just not shaving stopped me. I'll probably go back at some point.

It takes time. Prep is very important. It's slower going. There's a learning curve. Plus maintenance. A lot of people don't want to be bothered.

But a lot of people do bother for those very same reasons. Plus keeping up a lost art. I enjoyed all those things. Taking my time shaving. "Me time" if you will. That's mostly why I stopped, I ended up needing to shave in a hurry, half asleepin the wee hours.

A good razor isn't cheap. Brushes, strops, hones... it can be very expensive. Especially if you want it to, you can drop several hundred bucks on a razor if you choose. But maintained they will last a lifetime. I have shaved with my great grandfather's razors that he used as a barber close to 100 years ago.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out artofmanliness, they have a lot of good tutorials.

I bought a good razor and cheaped out on everything else, slowly buying up as I figured out what worked for me.

Mostly now I use the straight razor (and my Chemex coffee maker) as part of my weekend "slowing down" after the novelty of straight razoring every day wore off some and I decided I'd rather sleep that extra ten minutes.

Posts: 314 | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I did for about 6 months. It just seemed to make a mundane task needlessly harder.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I used the double edge blades in an old handle for 5-6 years but recently started using Harry’s blades. I only shave twice a week and it’s more convenient to have the Harry’s blades shipped and they shave better than a double edge. I’d like to try a straight razor but I’m sure it wouldn’t be as easy or shave as well as the multi blade razors.

Posts: 4110 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post