SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Beloved humor, outdoors writer Patrick McManus dies at age 84
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beloved humor, outdoors writer Patrick McManus dies at age 84 Login/Join 
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted
Dango super bumout way to start a Saturday. Always looked forward to his stories at the end of Outdoor Life. One of my favorite stories was where him and a friend went hunting and stayed the night in an abandoned hotel in a ghost town that had burned down. It had the right combination of scary and funny.

Beloved humor, outdoors writer Patrick McManus dies at age 84

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Sad news. One of my favorites. His stories were great.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed his columns as well.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
I have about three of his books, collections of stories from over the years. Funny stuff that even kids and grandparents can enjoy without offense.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was s classic. I met him at a book signing, some time ago. He asked what I would like him to write in the book before he signed it. I was a bit awestruck and blanked out. So... He writes, “Mike. Glad I finally got to meet you”!
Couldn’t have been more perfect!!
RIP. Mr.Patrick

"Shoot lower, Sheriff, They're ridin' shetlands"
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E. Wi. | Registered: October 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Many times I almost had a stroke laughing at the phraseology he used in his stories. RIP sir.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Well that's awful. He was one of the writers that got me into reading in my childhood.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fond memories of years long gone by.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54624 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gone to a place beyond the reach of the Fast Mean Cows. Frown

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Hopefully he's up playing fetch with Strange.

RIP.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I remember one his quotes from one of his articles in Outdoor Life about long winters and waiting for spring..."I just figure God created the month of February just in case eternity wasn't long enough"...

RIP Mr. McManus...you always made me smile Smile

https://www.outdoorlife.com/17...uotes-about-outdoors

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I read many of his books over the years. "Never Sniff a Gift Fish" was probably my favorite.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Damn. I really liked him.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
my favorite is "The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw".
Strange is the example what all dogs secretly desire to be like.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fond memories from my youth. It's been a while but his name brought back the memories.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I can still remember my dad’s laughter ringing through the house as he sat in his chair reading A Fine and Pleasant Misery. Mr. McManus had a true gift and he will surely be missed.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GGF:
I enjoied The Last Laugh in Outdoor Life magazine and it was the main reason I kept up the subscription.
Well done Mr. McManus.

GGF

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Browndrake:
I can still remember my dad’s laughter ringing through the house as he sat in his chair reading A Fine and Pleasant Misery. Mr. McManus had a true gift and he will surely be missed.

My sister gave me "They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?" as a gift one year for Christmas. I remember laughing so hard in places that I was crying.

The man had a gift, and it is a wonderful thing that he was able to share it with so many people.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Damn. I read most of his books as a teenager years ago. I guess I shall go shopping.

RIP, Sir.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life’s
 great satisfactions.” —Of Fire and the Night, September 1999
-P.M.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54624 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post