SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Almost a bad facial injury with wood - Math guys help in finding the speed of the outer rim of a log.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Almost a bad facial injury with wood - Math guys help in finding the speed of the outer rim of a log. Login/Join 
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted
I hope all this makes since....

Turning_gal was turning a 9" log on the lathe this afternoon when half of the log split off and hit her face shield with enough force to knock the shield into her face dislodging her glasses, knocking out the plastic insert, breaking the tool handle and dislodging the 1/4" steel tool from the handle.

She was damn lucky the she had her safety gear on but even so she got two open wounds on her arm from the chunk of wood flying by and a significant headache from the impact of the wood to her face shield.

Now the math question: the lathe was running at 800 rpm's ( I know, to fast ) but that was the shaft speed ( 33 mm ) what was the speed of the rim of the 9" log?

All this is a good lesson on tool safety, wear proper gear to protect ourselves from the unknown, in her case she was damn lucky not to have made a trip to the ER.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
377 inches a second, or roughly 21.5 MPH.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who didn’t wear his safety gear. He lost an eye. Say a prayer of gratitude tonight.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mcrimm:
I have a friend who didn’t wear his safety gear. He lost an eye. Say a prayer of gratitude tonight.

I will, it happened so fast....didn’t get to scream til it was over...never felt the tool leave my hand or the log hit my head until it was all over. BIG lucky safety lesson today...
Big headache, too....

Posts: 266 | Registered: June 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
About 21 MPH linear and about 32 feet per second angular.

Or the surface was moving about 21 MPH and the broken piece was moving about 32 feet per second.

If you can weigh the piece, we could figure the Pounds per square inch of impact.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Turning_gal:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mcrimm:

It happened so fast....didn’t get to scream til it was over...never felt the tool leave my hand or the log hit my head until it was all over. BIG lucky safety lesson today...
Big headache, too....

Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
About 21 MPH linear and about 32 feet per second angular.

Or the surface was moving about 21 MPH and the broken piece was moving about 32 feet per second.

If you can weigh the piece, we could figure the Pounds per square inch of impact.

---------------------------

It was 15.9oz

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
v = omega * radius where omega is the angular velocity in radians per second

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

--------------

And the answer is?......

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
About 81 Gs at impact for that block of wood.
Or about as much energy as a fastball at 85 MPH.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:

The math is strong with this one, it is.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
15.9oz = 6,956.25 grains at 32f/s into the ballistic energy calculator says 16 ft-lbs of energy. I'm not sure how to turn that into impact force because despite what you may or may not believe, your wife's head is not an immovable object. In other words, force of impact will be greater if the moving object hits a solid concrete wall than if the object hits a 10 foot block of Jello.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Ouch....I can picture that.
Thank you for figuring that out.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Well, a baseball weighs 149 grams or 2,299.421 grains and 85mph is 124.667 ft/s. Plugging those numbers into the ballistic energy calculator results in 79 ft-lbs of energy.

Working the ballistic energy calculator backwards finds that the block of wood hit you with the equivelant of a 38mph baseball, or about the speed of a fastball thrown by an 8 year old. Having been hit by a few of those, they hurt to.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

The math is strong with this one, it is.

His 25 fingers and toes are an advantage.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I'm thankful it wasn't worse. Good on you for wearing the safety gear.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

--------------

And the answer is?......

42 Big Grin

glad she is OK!!

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Hang on! Let me recheck that math. Hmmmmmmm...

On the serious side, I'm REALLY happy all you got was a minor cut and a headache. Very treatable at home in lieu of what might have been necessary in the ER.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
erj_pilot's post with the blackboard filled with computation reminds me of the story of the physics professor who was showing the class how to deal with a complex calculation.

He took the whole class hour, droning on, as he filled first the front board, then the blackboards on both sides of the room, with equations and notations.

Finally, as the bell rang to signal the end of that class period, he stood back and gestured to the results of his work, saying, "There. Isn't that pregnant with possibility?"

A voice from the back of the class responded, "It ought to be. You've been fucking around with it long enough."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
... it happened so fast...

It always does.

Had a buddy that was working on restoring an old horse stable. Wood as hard as cast iron. You know how sometimes you go to strike a nail with a hammer and the nail actually takes off in a random direction? Maybe over your shoulder? Well, that happened to him and the nail ended-up embedded in one of his eyes.

I've worn safety glasses or goggles when using a hammer ever since then.

quote:
BIG lucky safety lesson today...

If you always wear safety gear than it wasn't luck, but prudent measures. If you're an on-again, off-again safety type: Yeah, that was luck. As in...

Back in the day when there were only lap belts I was in the habit of wearing them sometimes and other times not. Got in an accident, one day, where the lap belt saved me from being launched through the windshield. That was luck. (I've never ridden without restraint in a car, since then.)

Likewise: I'm now in the habit of always donning safety glasses or goggles whenever I'm working with any power or impact tool of any kind. E.g.: Yesterday I wanted to experiment with my rotary hammer and a scaling bit. Got everything in place and "Oh yeah: Safety glasses." Went and put them on, then proceeded.

Glad this worked out well for you!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post