SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The 2017 Perv Thread - Reporter says Congress ‘To Be Rocked’ In Next 72 Hours; Over A Dozen Resignations Coming - Chris Mathews up now
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 31
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 2017 Perv Thread - Reporter says Congress ‘To Be Rocked’ In Next 72 Hours; Over A Dozen Resignations Coming - Chris Mathews up now Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Franken is more useful right where he is. He can now be used as a marker for the limits of bad behavior and still remain a US senator. Dayton is a bat shit crazy left of the left lib who ever he would appoint most likely would be worse.
Franken is going nowhere. He has pretty much survived his media pounding and the next thing is just right around the corner. This will be forgotten by Monday.

Franken literally stole the election in Minnesota to become Senator over Norm Coleman.
His little power play of holding up the Minnesota judge whose name escapes me at the moment by holding onto his blue slip has been taken away from him. That little tradition has been bypassed as I understand.

He has now been shot with the blow dart of Hillary who has come out in support of him. The final political death blow. Gee wasn't that long ago he was being talked about running against Trump in 2020. The times they are a changing Al. Yes they are.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
<snip>
His little power play of holding up the Minnesota judge whose name escapes me at the moment by holding onto his blue slip has been taken away from him. That little tradition has been bypassed as I understand.
<snip>

If so, that's good news, indeed.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:

Franken literally stole the election in Minnesota to become Senator over Norm Coleman.

WASHINGTON
The chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee is upending longstanding precedent on two judicial nominees.

Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa said Thursday he's going ahead with confirmation hearings for two appellate court nominees, David Stras of Minnesota and Kyle Duncan of Louisiana, even though they have not received the support of both of their home-state senators.

In each case, a senator declined to return a so-called blue slip marking their support for the judicial nominee from their state. Grassley said he won't allow a single senator to block a nominee. Rather, he said a negative blue slip will only be considered a significant factor for the committee to weigh when evaluating a nominee.

"This practice is consistent with the vast majority of the blue slip's history," Grassley said.

When President Barack Obama was in office, Republicans blocked scores of judicial nominees by declining to return a blue slip. That tool was one of the few Democratic lawmakers had available to them in trying to stop some of President Donald Trump's nominations.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, the ranking Democratic senator on the Judiciary Committee, said Grassley's decision couldn't be more troubling.

"The lengths to which Republicans are going to jam extremely conservative and controversial nominees through the Senate is unprecedented," Feinstein said. "What's happening is diminishing the Judiciary Committee and the Senate and undermining the independence of the federal judiciary."

On the committee's website, Republicans said that only two chairmen over the past century adopted a policy requiring two positive blue slips as a prerequisite for committee consideration of a judicial nominee. Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., had that policy when he ran the committee for eight years until 2015.

Feinstein said that Grassley followed that precedent when he became chairman and when Obama was president.

"There's a long history as it pertains to the blue slip, but what's most relevant is the last two years," Feinstein said. "Republicans shouldn't have one blue slip policy for Democratic presidents and another for Republican presidents.

"In 2015 and 2016, Chairman Grassley refused to allow multiple nominees of President Obama's to have hearings because they didn't have two blue slips from home-state senators."

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, facing pressure from conservative groups, said last month that he was seeking to upend the blue slip tradition for circuit judges. He described it as "simply a notification of how you're going to vote, not a blackball."

Grassley said he will be less likely to proceed when a district court nominee fails to have two positive blue slips from home-state senators.

"But circuit courts cover multiple states," Grassley said. "There's less reason to defer to the views of a single state's senator for such nominees."

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

...Sen. Dianne Feinstein, the ranking Democratic senator on the Judiciary Committee, said Grassley's decision couldn't be more troubling.

"The lengths to which Republicans are going to jam extremely conservative and controversial nominees through the Senate is unprecedented," Feinstein said. "What's happening is diminishing the Judiciary Committee and the Senate and undermining the independence of the federal judiciary."...

That's funny. I don't recall her complaining when Harry Reid involved the "nuclear option" to ram judicial appointments thru.

I am quite happy that the GOP - led by my senator - is finally playing hardball. Naturally, the liberal media will be outraged!

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Few can excel an experienced Senator at hypocrisy, sanctimony and demagoguery.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Ah, but you see, the sin lies in the intent. He's being hung out to dry more for the look on his face in that picture than for whatever he did or did not have in his hands. Couple that with the story Tweeden told that this was him getting the last laugh for her having rejected what seems like an awfully clumsy pass

The UCMJ Article 120 came to mind "Penetration, however slight, is sufficient to complete either of these offenses." Does body armor and a flight suit negate a grope? Then there's his forcable kiss. It was unwanted and it appears she made it clear is was unwelcome.
This wasn't sex. It was all about Franken having power over her.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Ah, but you see, the sin lies in the intent. He's being hung out to dry more for the look on his face in that picture than for whatever he did or did not have in his hands. Couple that with the story Tweeden told that this was him getting the last laugh for her having rejected what seems like an awfully clumsy pass

The UCMJ Article 120 came to mind "Penetration, however slight, is sufficient to complete either of these offenses." Does body armor and a flight suit negate a grope?.

It’s been a long time since I had to interpret the UCMJ and the sexual offenses articles have changed significantly, but as well as I can determine without a detailed analysis of the current one, this is the part that would apply to Franken’s actions:

“Abusive sexual contact by engaging in a sexual act with a person substantially incapacitated or substantially incapable of appraising the act, declining participation, or substantially incapable of communicating unwillingness.”

And sexual contact is defined:

Sexual contact. The term 'sexual contact' means the intentional touching, either directly or through the clothing, of the genitalia, anus, groin, breast, inner thigh, or buttocks of another person, or intentionally causing another person to touch, either directly or through the clothing, the genitalia, anus, groin, breast, inner thigh, or buttocks of any person, with an intent to abuse, humiliate, or degrade any person or to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person.”

So, there’s no need for any penetration and touching through clothing is sufficient. Although the defense would argue that body armor doesn’t constitute clothing, the prosecution would say it’s called “body” armor because it’s worn like clothing, and therefore is clothing.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

...Sen. Dianne Feinstein, the ranking Democratic senator on the Judiciary Committee, said Grassley's decision couldn't be more troubling.

"The lengths to which Republicans are going to jam extremely conservative and controversial nominees through the Senate is unprecedented," Feinstein said. "What's happening is diminishing the Judiciary Committee and the Senate and undermining the independence of the federal judiciary."...

That's funny. I don't recall her complaining when Harry Reid involved the "nuclear option" to ram judicial appointments thru.

I am quite happy that the GOP - led by my senator - is finally playing hardball. Naturally, the liberal media will be outraged!

Or Obamacare.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
a report circulation saying he is not going to resign

and he has that stupid Anthony Weiner grimmace

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...m-and-roy-moore.html

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
and he has that stupid Anthony Weiner grimmace

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
a reminder of how Franken got elected:

http://www.powerlineblog.com/a...-his-senate-seat.php

in 2008, after several recounts, Franken beat Norm Coleman by 312 votes

at least 1,099 felons voted illegally in the Coleman-Franken election

Many other illegal votes were cast for Franken as well, e.g. by non-citizens

and Franken was the 60th vote that passed obamacare

Posts: 19563 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
There is no way the democrats will allow Franken to step down, even though an interim replacement will be just as liberal. It simply sets a bad precedent.

Although if he was a republican, they would most likely boycot the senate chamber until he was removed.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
2nd Wowan comes forward...

This time it was in 2010.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
If the Democrats want Moore stopped, Frankenstien needs to encounter a mass transit vehicle. In deference to the climate, it can be electrically powered using coal.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
sdy is 1000% correct.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
sdy is 1000% correct.

Not exactly.

Link

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by navyshooter:
2nd Wowan comes forward...
I hope the Democrats and all their commie friends are happy, because this is all their doing.

Do any of you really care that Franken grabbed some woman's ass or got horny around some big-titted knockout in a USO show? I don't care and I imagine most of you can say the same.
Yet, here we are, calling for the guy's resignation. The reason for this contradiction is simple- hoisting the Leftists by their own stupid PC petard.
By their standard, latent accusations of decades-old, mild sexual misconduct is grounds for turning the accused into a social pariah.

OK, sure, and now your boy Franken is gonna be held to the same standard, and all of this is your doing, commies. Happy now, you stupid sons o' bitches? We all could be rolling along with business as usual, but now, thanks to your ridicuous, pandering PC bullshit, one of your heroes has been compromised to the point that not only is he no longer of any use to you, he is a true detriment because in order to keep up the attack on Moore, Franken must be sacrificed.

Brilliant, just brilliant. Happy now?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, and Bill Clinton's a rapist, but it took leftists 20 years to figure that out. Funny how that worked, now that he's had his two terms and Hillary once again missed her chance and looks for all the world like she'll never again run. Now that the Clintons are of no further use, now all the oh-so-brave guardians of PC culture will speak up.

"Disgusting" simply does not even begin to cover it. Roll Eyes

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023