SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is having my FFL-03 License make sense any longer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is having my FFL-03 License make sense any longer? Login/Join 
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I say keep it. Have had mine about a year, haven't used it yet but I will renew when the time comes. You never know when you will need it.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I voted renew on the premise that it's better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

Things change. Whether for better or worse is a crap shoot.

Agree better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it especially since the renewal fee is only a measly 30 bucks. One regret I have is allowing my CDL to expire because I wasn't using it at the time.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Over the years, discounts at places like Brownells have been far greater than the $30 fee. (Does that cover 3 years or 5 years - don't remember)

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
$30 for 3 years.

Sadly, the days of C&R holders being afforded a FFL discount are basically gone.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
I just renewed mine for the 7th? time.
Yeah, not like the salad days of imports... but fun when you realize you can transfer anything over 50yrs old!

I was on the Century 3fer quick dial.
Ladies used to call me to buy Turkish Mausers and Mosins.

One 3fer deal
m38
91/59
m44

$29 bucks a piece!

What a great time to be alive!!!!

Huzzah!

All the best
Billy

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
FYI - I figured I'd go ahead and toss a check and application at ATF for a whole new 03 FFL, which I did a few days after this thread. I just received it today. So ~3 weeks turnaround, including mailing time both ways.

Pretty good, for government bureaucracy.

(Though it might have helped that I had one previously, up until ~10 months ago. A brand new applicant might take longer.)

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
ATF charged my credit card today. Woohoo!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Just got my renewed 03 FFL in the mail yesterday.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6484 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
what do you need to get an 03?

while not wanting to get engaged in a lot of transactions, I'm wondering if it might be a useful thing to have

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
what do you need to get an 03?

while not wanting to get engaged in a lot of transactions, I'm wondering if it might be a useful thing to have

1. Fill out an application: https://www.atf.gov/file/61506/download (Certain parts of the application, like the photo and fingerprints, are specifically noted as not applying to an 03 FFL.)
2. Mail the application and a $30 check (or info for your credit card on the application) to the ATF.
3. Mail a copy of the application to the Police Chief/Sheriff over your jurisdiction (as a heads-up, not as a request for permission)
4. Wait a few weeks for ATF to complete a background check on their end, which involves no additional effort on your part.
5. Collect FFL and info packet when it arrives in the mail.
6. Brush up on the laws and requirements involved with having an 03 FFL.
7. Start a Bound Book with which to log transactions. (Doesn't have to be anything fancy; there are free example pages you can download online and stick in a binder.)

Fin.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Cool. I think I might just get one.

Thanks

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Start a Bound Book with which to log transactions. (Doesn't have to be anything fancy; there are free example pages you can download online and stick in a binder.)
When you say "binder" I think of a three-ring loose leaf notebook type binder.

Does this meet the requirement for a "bound book?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If it were $100 or more, I'd say no, but at only $30, it sounds like "better to have it and not need it."

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
When you say "binder" I think of a three-ring loose leaf notebook type binder.

Does this meet the requirement for a "bound book?"

Yep. The ATF allows either a permanently bound book or "an orderly arrangement of loose-leaf pages".

secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
The ATF Firearms Compliance Inspections process does not appear to apply to 03 licensees as they are collectors and not businesses. Correct?

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/compliance-inspections

Posts: 1456 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
ATF can request a compliance inspection of your bound book and any guns involved in the book, no more than once per year. The collector can choose to do it at either their home or at the local ATF office. Sometimes they just want to look at the book itself. Sometimes they want to cross check the serials within with the actual physical guns themselves.

But these random inspections are very rare for C&R holders. Most collectors never get one. I never had one in my prior decade plus of having a C&R license.

Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
if you don't plan on using it, you could let it expire. This gives you the opportunity to close out your existing book which you do not need to turn over.

You can then start a fresh blank book if you decide to get licensed again in the future.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
do yourself, and any potential dealer you have to deal with via the web,

make a good quality .pdf of your C&R (and any 01's or 07's reading this do the same)

nothing is more frustrating than a C&R or other dealer buying a firearm and sending me a photo of the license,

mind you some can take good photo's, but most lately look like a bad scan or picture of a polaroid taken in a dark room at night, after the balled up piece of paper was used to print the license,,,,

and send as an attachment,, soem email programs suck when sending the pics in the body of an email

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Skip one meal out, and put the money into the renewal.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post