SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is having my FFL-03 License make sense any longer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is having my FFL-03 License make sense any longer? Login/Join 
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted
With the price of C&R rifles and ammo expensive and only increasing in price since I 1st got my FFL03 15'ish years ago, I got my renewal packet the other day from the BATF&E. Now granted its just a $30 renewal fee but its it worth it any longer?

M1 Garands from the .gov are scare
Ammo for all the old stuff is only increasing in price.
I have M1's, 91/30, M44 and the assortment of other fun really old stuff.

Parts are parts, save a couple cents here and there while having my ffl on file is ok

Should I keep renewing or let it expire

Question:
Should I keep renewing or let it expire

Choices:
Expire?
Renew?

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I voted renew on the premise that it's better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

Things change. Whether for better or worse is a crap shoot.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15224 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
I voted renew. I just did so with mine. You never know when you might come across something. No reason IMO to let it go.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you buy more than 1 C&R gun every 3 years, or your local FFL charges more than $30 for a transfer, keep it.

If you don't plan to buy any more, or only 1 every few years, let it expire.

Also, keep in mind that anything over 50 years old is C&R. It's not just milsurps. We've recently entered the 1970s, with the 1980s around the corner.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Renew. The pendulum will swing back.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I just sent in the renewal for mine. You never know what you will run into down the road.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6486 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have spent more on stupidness than $30. At least you have your license. I kick myself years ago for not doing it.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Renew as it may be difficult to obtain again down the road.

Posts: 13810 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd keep it. It's cheap to renew, and who knows where gun legislation will go in the next few years, but I doubt it will become any easier to get one.

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
for $1 a month, Id keep it

better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
C&R, it's not just mil-surplus. Smile

You're just not buying enough of the right guns! If I use mine once per renewal, it's saved me money on a transfer.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Renew, I can show proof that I don’t own an Arsenal but instead a collection. And the US federal government officially affirms that.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All you need to do is buy or sell 1 firearm per year to have it pay for itself.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I go through this every 3 years with my 01 license. I renew because I figure its cheaper and easier to renew than to start all over again if I wanted to get back into it.

My SOT on the other hand will not be renewed this year. I didn't make enough money off of it this last year to justify it.

Posts: 7395 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
I go through this every 3 years with my 01 license. I renew because I figure its cheaper and easier to renew than to start all over again if I wanted to get back into it.

While that's certainly true of the other FFLs and SOTs, getting an 03 FFL is simple. Just the application form, with no photo/fingerprints/interview/inspection/etc.

And the price is the same for application vs. renewal on an 03. Plus if your 03 expires, you're not required to hassle with sending in your bound book, like other FFLs have to do.

So it's really no more work to let it expire and reapply later than it is to renew. Either one just requires filling out a form, mailing it in with a $30 check, and sending a copy of the form to your local CLEO. It's just that renewals are processed a bit quicker than applications for new ones.

There are other potential pros to keeping it active, but ease of application and cost savings aren't really a factor with an 03 FFL.

My 03 expired last year, smack in the middle of getting divorced, selling my house, finding a new house to buy, and moving. I just didn't renew it, since that was simpler than sending in my renewal and then shortly afterwards having to turn around and submit another form to amend my FFL with my change of address. Sometime this year, I'll probably get around to applying for a new 03 at my new address.

And as a side benefit, now I get to start over with a new bound book.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I don't have one, but I recently considered applying for one. My vote is keep it...what's it hurt?

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Worth keeping mine to be able to buy at out of state gun shows.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Keep it. It's the price of a hard-bound book, the price of Appleby's dinner for two, I'ts three carwashes, it's a bottle of reasonably good hooch and even that won't last three years, it's a round trip ferry ticket (if you come to see me, call first), as mentioned above it makes you an official collector not a militiaman and you just might come across the Python that you never thought you'd see at that price again. So, yeah, keep it.

Posts: 6390 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Do it if there’s any chance you might need it. I renewed mine a couple of months ago. Only takes a few minutes and the $30 to give you options and potentially save you money.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Keep it. Much easier to renew then apply again. Also don't at some point it may become harder and more expensive to apply.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post