SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Plumbing Question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plumbing Question Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
A big truck comes out and they clear out the lines with super high-pressure water. It takes several hours and I think the bill is around $900.

It shouldn't.

Perhaps they're dragging their feet and billing accordingly. At the facility I work at, they won't come unless we hire them for the day. One job or ten, it costs the same. So we line up all the jobs to do while they're there.

Otherwise the most I've ever hear one getting raped.. I mean charged for a simple clogged line was $1200, on Easter Sunday, by the well known franchise you're probably all familiar with. At the time I'd have charged $100 for the same job. (I probably would have gone on Easter at no extra charge just because I felt bad for them and wanted to help them out. (why I will never be rich Wink ) Talking with one of them once, their monthly franchise fee that they were paying out, was much more than I was bring in in a couple months.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just had my sewer repaired. Lived in his house for thirty years and once each year we have to call Roto Rooter and have them clear the line. The pipe was the red terra cotta stuff and was cracked with tree roots growing into it. had it dug out and the line replaced with plastic and reconnected to the main sewer line. Cost was $4400 but it was on a hill, in a forested area and was extremely difficult to get to. They had to use a miniature back hoe on tracks

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The OP didn't say what had already been tried. Most problems I've had have been resolved by rebuilding the toilet tank guts, 18 bucks worth of parts and an hour's work. Worth a try.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gutpile Charlie:
...Roto Rooter...

The name I didn’t mention. I don’t think you could find someone to charge you more if you tried.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
A big truck comes out and they clear out the lines with super high-pressure water. It takes several hours and I think the bill is around $900.

It shouldn't.

Perhaps they're dragging their feet and billing accordingly. At the facility I work at, they won't come unless we hire them for the day. One job or ten, it costs the same. So we line up all the jobs to do while they're there.

Otherwise the most I've ever hear one getting raped.. I mean charged for a simple clogged line was $1200, on Easter Sunday, by the well known franchise you're probably all familiar with. At the time I'd have charged $100 for the same job. (I probably would have gone on Easter at no extra charge just because I felt bad for them and wanted to help them out. (why I will never be rich Wink ) Talking with one of them once, their monthly franchise fee that they were paying out, was much more than I was bring in in a couple months.
Guess I'm lucky. I have a great plumbing contact here locally. Two younger guys struck out on their own away from a local big company and they do excellent work. Best of all, they really like cash, so cash generally gets me a better deal on any work I need them to do for me.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
This is what shows up to jet a large-diameter (10"+) main sewer when the Chinese restaurants dump too much grease directly into the sewer. The building owner was paying $1400+ for emergency service but I believe he worked a deal for regular maintenance 2x a year @ $900 or $950 per.

Set-up: getting the truck into position in an area of the city laid out 200 years ago for horse and buggy, connecting to a water source, snaking the pressure lines through areas of pedestrian traffic, opening the sewer, all of this is what takes the most time. The actual jetting may be 20 minutes, with another 20-40 minutes to thoroughly scour the entire line out to the street.

WATER PUMP SEWER CLOG BUSTER IN A TRUCK

• Double-acting, single-piston hydraulic-powered water pump offers 1:1 oil to water ratio and rated design capacity of 100 gpm and 3000 psi continuous duty.

• Dual nitrogen-charged accumulators with on/off valve allowing operators to selectively activate blockage busting feature.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Is that thing turbocharged? Wink

quote:
This is what shows up to jet a large-diameter (10"+) main sewer when the Chinese restaurants dump too much grease directly into the sewer. The building owner was paying $1400+ for emergency service but I believe he worked a deal for regular maintenance 2x a year @ $900 or $950 per.

Set-up: getting the truck into position in an area of the city laid out 200 years ago for horse and buggy, connecting to a water source, snaking the pressure lines through areas of pedestrian traffic, opening the sewer, all of this is what takes the most time. The actual jetting may be 20 minutes, with another 20-40 minutes to thoroughly scour the entire line out to the street.

WATER PUMP SEWER CLOG BUSTER IN A TRUCK

• Double-acting, single-piston hydraulic-powered water pump offers 1:1 oil to water ratio and rated design capacity of 100 gpm and 3000 psi continuous duty.

• Dual nitrogen-charged accumulators with on/off valve allowing operators to selectively activate blockage busting feature.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post