SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ATV Riders in Detroit taunt police, rider dies in accident on city streets
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATV Riders in Detroit taunt police, rider dies in accident on city streets Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
This was inevitable, in fact I actually predicted this and watched it play out.

The back story is that the City Detroit has had a problem with people riding ATV's on city streets. It's illegal, they are off road vehicles and not road legal in Michigan. Usually they run when they spot police making it even more dangerous.

In August of 2017 a Michigan State Police unit was in Detroit and one of these ATV's sped by them. The Troopers gave chase and it lasted a while. Eventually one of the Troopers deployed a Taser, struck the rider, who lost control and hit a pick up truck. The rider didn't survive, he was 15 years old. https://www.clickondetroit.com...gainst-state-trooper

The Trooper was suspended, fired, and charged. Last week he was sentenced after being convicted.
https://www.clickondetroit.com...n-s-deadly-atv-crash

The conviction didn't satisfy people apparently and in a form of protest they swarmed the streets on ATV's for several days (I predicted this, also commented that someone was going to die before it was over)
https://www.clickondetroit.com...n-detroits-east-side

The police let it happen at the time, but clearly gathered a lot of evidence because... https://www.clickondetroit.com...-on-city-s-east-side

But even that didn't stop it because, as I predicted, a guy lost control and killed himself. Does anyone wonder why ATV's are illegal to ride on the streets? Of course instead of public menace killed while tearing up the streets on an offroad ATV he's being remembered the wonderful, loving, caring, father, businessman, icon of the community taken too soon in a tragic accident Roll Eyes WHICH wouldn't have happened if he was setting a good example like a great father and pillar of the community....

https://www.clickondetroit.com...and-river-in-detroit

And there you have.... the rest of the story.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It isn’t the ATVs that are the problem here. ATVs are street legal in parts of Europe and sometimes in rural parts of America. I loved seeing plated Raptors on the streets of Copenhagen. I would legalize them everywhere if it were up to me. How is a Honda Grom more road worthy than a Raptor 700R? Confused

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
A piece of equipment is rarely the problem, people and how they choose to use said equipment are always the problem

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
People riding ATV’s rarely experience difficulty. Lawless savages are another matter. You should be allowed to shoot big nylon nets at them when they try to run.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15574 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
... he's being remembered the wonderful, loving, caring, father, businessman, icon of the community taken too soon in a tragic accident Roll Eyes WHICH wouldn't have happened if he was setting a good example like a great father and pillar of the community....

What you didn't let us know: was this idiot doing something he loved?

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
It isn’t the ATVs that are the problem here. ATVs are street legal in parts of Europe and sometimes in rural parts of America. I loved seeing plated Raptors on the streets of Copenhagen. I would legalize them everywhere if it were up to me. How is a Honda Grom more road worthy than a Raptor 700R? Confused

Did the ATVs in Europe have tires more suited for pavement? The typical ATV tire that I'm familiar with isn't really optimal for street traction. Having said that, driving one on pavement at anything close to an appropriate speed isn't going to be a problem.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would legalize them everywhere if it were up to me.
Shit, I'm all for more organ donors, there are so many people on the waitlists as it is.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
I would legalize them everywhere if it were up to me.
Shit, I'm all for more organ donors, there are so many people on the waitlists as it is.

I like the way you think.....let them thin themselves out.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Or a Barrett 50.

quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
You should be allowed to shoot big nylon nets at them when they try to run.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
MNSIG, Yes, there are more street oriented tires for the raptor. With a competent rider I bet it actually handles better than some cars.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
We have a big problem with the ATV'S on the roads in central Florida.
They are surrounding people in their cars, taunting them and causing all kind of problems.
A few weeks ago they were on the Florida Turnpike and caused an accident.
They seem to try to think they own the road, cause accidents and take off. Of course they have no insurance so even if the catch some one who causes an accident the person in the car has no one to go after to pay for the damage the ATV rider caused.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Apparently did not read the warning label.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in trying one of the newer quads on the street and how they handle turning with the solid rear axle.

I remember making tight turns on the street riding the old Honda 3 wheelers got sketchy at times. But doable.

And the mechanical locker on my old Toyota truck when it failed to unlock in a turn would cause quite the chatter from the rear end.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
We have the same issue in Cleveland. Mayor won't let the police do anything because his son is constantly doing this. The mayor also wants to build a park for these idiots. Who will drive there illegally on the streets and half are probably stolen.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
MNSIG, Yes, there are more street oriented tires for the raptor. With a competent rider I bet it actually handles better than some cars.

Maybe some cars, but most cars with a mediocre driver would smoke that toy with a competent driver on the street. They're designed for off road. Trying to make one of those handle on the street would be like trying to make a Tacoma handle like a Porsche. Could be done (maybe) but get your checkbook out.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
With a competent rider
Typically the limfac with ATV and Cycle riders.

Egos writing checks their bodies can't cash.

quote:
I bet it actually handles better than some cars.

Sure, but handling usually isn't an issue in the city.

This is very similar to those Light Sport Airplanes, where people with minimal skill get behind something that can kill them in a heartbeat. Doesn't really bother me if the mort themselves

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe you're missing the point. We have this same problem in Central Florida. The issues go like this...

1 - Under aged riders without DL's.
2 - Riders obeying no rules/laws of the road. (Red light? Not for me.)
3 - Riders harassing other drivers (had it happen to me).
4 - ATV's and dirt bikes running off road tires (great on wet asphalt).
5 - ATV's and dirt bikes running 'no' lights racing around at night.

These assholes are a menace and steps need to be taken to remove them from the streets permanently. And if a few get smashed along the way, oh well, good riddance.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Not when that asshole organ donor is plowing into my truck to facilitate his donation.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In many areas of the Yoop, ATVs are legal to use the shoulders of the roads. I was recently in Big Bay and ATV and SxSs outnumbered other vehicles.
Problem: They snuff out quite a few people up here every year. Lots seriously injured. Often times it is happening to kids. Speed, alcohol, no helmets, lack of skill and general stupidity are the causes.
Fun fact: a 2019 Yamaha Kodiak 450 weighs 637 pounds. Something to consider as it is rolling over on top of you.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
It’s not like these people are stealing ATVs & illegally riding them on the street are responsible tax paying citizens. They are criminal thugs. There should be an open season on them.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post