SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Brown recluse infestation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brown recluse infestation Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted
I'm visiting my parents right now in Missouri and after killing a few spiders in the basement I look at some glue traps my dad set. Each has half a dozen brown recluses of various age! I know all the look alike spiders, these are certainly brown recluse. I got a maglite and went hunting at 10pm and killed a couple dozen more throughout the house. I'm sitting in bed now with the bed skirt tucked up, sheets inspected five times. I killed one in this room...

My dad is bed ridden, fumigation is not an option. My thought is nuke from orbit, but not having that ability, my second thought is LOTS of glue traps along all crevices on all floors.

Thoughts? Pray for me and my family and their freeloading eight-legged freaks.

Posts: 2512 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
No way I'm gonna open this thread right before going to bed! Eek

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
That sounds like an emergency as far as I’m a aware.

That’s one of the deadliest spiders in the USA, if not THE most. Nothing to toy with.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Find a way to get everyone to a hotel.

Posts: 7420 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tempo insecticide should kill them & is safe to use inside. I use it in the basement, doorways & strategic locations in the house like under beds
It's a contact kill & has a long residual.

as long as you don't spray in heavy human contact areas, you'll be fine..

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^ either do it yourself or have the house sprayed by a professional bug guy.
Those things are everywhere!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24049 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
Tempo insecticide should kill them & is safe to use inside. I use it in the basement, doorways & strategic locations in the house like under beds
It's a contact kill & has a long residual.

as long as you don't spray in heavy human contact areas, you'll be fine..

Same with Cyper. We had a scorpion problem at out last place and Cyper helped clear it up.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
Call in the Colonial Marines !!

Or a professional bug killer.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine was bitten by a brown recluse. HIs story just confirmed that these spiders are not to be messed with. My advice is get everyone to a hotel and fumigate. You can put out dozens of traps, but it only takes one recluse.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
All those spiders need something to eat. You have more than a spider problem. I get that they're coming in from the cold but to have as many as you say, you also have a bug problem.

The spider problem seems like a symptom to me.

I'd fumigate the house and start sealing up the house where the bugs and spiders are coming in.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, my dad probably has less than weeks to live. Evidently, from my Google fu research, insecticide has little impact on them unless contact is made. Fumigation works, but I'm not going to be able to get that to happen in his condition. I'm thinking if an exterminator sprays, what doesn't kill them will make them more active. I read one internet story where a family caught 2,000 over them and was living with them fine. Has anybody here had good success with an exterminator with these?

Posts: 2512 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with exterminators and BRs. They are pretty common in Florida, as are Black Widows, and a bug guy every three months keeps them suppressed.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Brown recluse spiders are much more common than what most people think. The reason you don't always see them is mentioned right there in their name.

We have had really good luck using a professional exterminator, but I suspect that a regular guy could do everything I pay him to do. He uses a contact spray and powder. Spray around the baseboards and outside foundation, and powder inside the misc. nooks and crannies. He uses sticky traps to monitor activity. With two young kids, this method has not been a problem and should not interfere with your father's health at all.

Apparently they breed like crazy, so as mentioned above a multi-prong approach is best. Eliminate their food source (and then they'll start to eat each other), prevent new spiders from moving in, and eliminate those that remain inside. Eventually their population will dwindle.

I also treat my yard in about a 30 foot band around the house. I use a spreadable granular material that kills everything creepy and crawly.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Bifen, you can spray it inside and it will kill em. Try a local tractor supply.

And, sorry about your dad, make sure you tell him you love him.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every time I talk to him I end it with I love you, never know which words will be your last. I texted a pic to an exterminator and he confirmed my question with "yes, a big one." Hopefully they will go along with him coming in and I'll instruct them about their behavior. Then I'll burn my car, my clothes, and vathe in bleach when I get home.

posted Hide Post
https://www.domyown.com/talstar-talstar-one-p-97.html

Talstar P. Spray around all the base boards and inside cabinets. Spiders come out of hiding to hunt at night and they killed.

For control of Ants, Carpenter Ants, Bedbugs, Bees, Beetles, Biting
Flies, Boxelder Bugs, Centipedes, Cicadas, Cockroaches, Crickets,
Earwigs, Firebrats, Fleas, Flies, Gnats, Millipedes, Mosquitoes, Moths,
Scorpions, Silverfish, Sowbugs (Pillbugs), Spider Mites, Spiders (includ-
ing Black Widow, Brown Recluse and Hobo Spiders), Springtails, Stink
Bugs, Ticks (including Brown Dog Ticks), Vinegar (Fruit) Flies, and
Wasps.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wcb6092,

Posts: 12650 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unfortunately, my dad probably has less than weeks to live.

Sorry, man.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
You need this guy pronto...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post