SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Northern VA Home Improvement - Anderson Windows?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Northern VA Home Improvement - Anderson Windows? Login/Join 
posted
What do you guys think about Renewal by Anderson? Worth the money? Because they sure as hell aren't cheap. Thanks.

Rob

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I moved into a custom home last year that was built in 92' with all Andersen windows and doors. Lots of both. They all function as if new, zero drafts, look great and are more thermally efficient than any other windows and doors I've experienced. It was one of the buying points for me just knowing that I would never have to replace or upgrade them. Especially since we were looking for a place that was only a few years old.

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pella makes good windows as well.

Here in FLorida PGT are king. They specialize in hurricane impact windows. I don't think they're popular in Northern states though.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
I installed new Pella windows in my garage 16 years ago. They are still good as new. I just ordered all new Pella windows for the house. I got a fairly good deal on them since I'll take care of the installation. I dealt with Larry from the Falls Church location. Pella windows are great, but I wont buy their sliding glass doors. They are setup so you cannot use a safety bar inside.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
I replaced several windows in the upstairs of our home with Anderson replacement windows. I have zero complaints. They seem to be of high quality, open AND close perfectly and lock securely. I believe they were the mid or upper grade ones.
Good luck.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
Andersen in general are good windows. But you're likely looking at inserts vs a complete window replacement. Make sure you know what you're getting. The big 'window replacement' companies in NoVA usually only pop out the window and pop a new one in. They wont be replacing any rotted wood molding on the outside. If anything, they will just wrap it, which just hides your problem if you have any wood rot. Buyer beware is all I'm saying.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have Pella windows in our house that are not that old. We have zero complaints, great windows.

Got a knock on the door well after dark last week and it was an Anderson guy with a headlamp on telling us he noticed we had old windows and if we wanted a quote. We chuckled and dismissed him quickly and politely.

Reminds me of the show White Gold on Netflix.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pella and Anderson are the top of the line in price and have good performance.

Lots of smaller brands but who knows how long they will be around.

I put in Pella windows because I got a better deal through Lowes YMMV

I needed parts for a Anderson door that was 40 years old and they had them available.

Few weeks wait not cheap.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I had some replacement windows installed by Renewal by Andersen and am happy with them. RbA would be my choice to the few remaining.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Who are you going to use to install them?

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just put in 18 Pella mid-grade dual-pane windows. They look great and have reduced the energy bill substantially. About 700 per window thru Lowes. Anderson wanted a lot more, but my house isn't worth a lot more.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Who are you going to use to install them?

Renewal by Andersen, as far as I know, only lets their own people install them. While expensive, if something is screwed up in the install, I know who to complain to. I do believe that you can take a quality anything and screw it up if you don't do things properly. While there are great independent contractors out there, there are a lot of bad ones, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to be able to tell the difference, as far as window installs go.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I watched four homes on my street having new windows, siding and roofs installed and only one did it right. I watched the workers with binoculars as they took short cuts like not replacing rotted wood, not priming new wood replaced, covering rotted wood with siding, vent boots installed wrong, leaving out insulation behind some siding sections, and not caulking around the windows.

Then there was the fighting on the roof of one house where two Spanish workers were throwing things at one worker while they were working two stories up. They had no safety harness and were lucky no one fell off. Most have had some monkey blood in their veins.

Northern VA Siding and Windows was the only crew that seemed to do every thing right.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
As you may, or may not know, I own a custom home building company in VA and install both Andersen and Pella windows in our homes.
In my professional opinion both are equally good. Interestingly enough the actual glass for both companies is made by the same privately held company, Cardinal Glass.

As was mentioned above the key to the success of the job is using the correct installers. Since we're certified to install both I will tell you that the training my guys had to through with Andersen was much more comprehensive. All other things being equal based on that I would suggest Andersen.

What ever you do be sure to insist on ENERGY STAR Rated windows. The glass will actually have a certification label on it. That way you can be assured that you are getting the best windows for your region.

PM me if you have any particular questions.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
All of my andersen windows had to be replaced after 13 years. Whatever you do, don't get lattice windows!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I manufacture Plantation Shutters and Anderson windows don't work with Shutters because of the cranks and latches. If you ever think you might want shutters on your windows get sliders, not cranks.

Other than that, all the Anderson windows i have seen look really nice.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
As you may, or may not know, I own a custom home building company in VA and install both Andersen and Pella windows in our homes.
In my professional opinion both are equally good. Interestingly enough the actual glass for both companies is made by the same privately held company, Cardinal Glass.

As was mentioned above the key to the success of the job is using the correct installers. Since we're certified to install both I will tell you that the training my guys had to through with Andersen was much more comprehensive. All other things being equal based on that I would suggest Andersen.

What ever you do be sure to insist on ENERGY STAR Rated windows. The glass will actually have a certification label on it. That way you can be assured that you are getting the best windows for your region.

PM me if you have any particular questions.

Thank you for the feedback. Your informed endorsement of Andersen's product and training really helps set my mind at ease for this rather large purchase. I did get the energy star rated glass.

BTW I looked at your website - very nice homes! We regularly get Smith Mountain Lake property mailers - I don't know enough about buying real estate down there to bite, but it's tempting. One day I hope to have a nice home built...have to get the last one thru college first...

Rob

...that I will support
and defend...

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Our house was built in 96. One window has been kinda suspect since new, 'builder grade'.

Anyhow, I just had that one window replaced, and plan to tackle them just 'as needed'. Depending on the area some are almost as-new, like under the front porch overhang and other less weathered areas.

I ended up getting an 'Infinity' window by Marvin. This window wasn't on my radar when I started looking, made in MN.

Not sure of availability out your way. As posted intallation can be almost as important as the window, lots of contradictory reviews on the web.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post