SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Correct Time Source?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Correct Time Source? Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
What is a VALID correct time source?

The reason I ask is because I have a watch (a Casio Waveceptor) that resets itself every night during the night based on a signal sent out by the US Naval Observatory Master Clock at several 1-hr intervals starting at 2AM. I also have an "atomic closk" on the wall of my hobby room that does the same thing. Both of those devices are exactly in sync, as they should be.

Now, all of our cell phones and computers are also in sync, but about a minute or so behind as they sync up with some other source! Wouldn't you think they would all be together, using the US Naval Obervatory's master clock as THE time standard? Why the discrepancy?

For folks who need access to the "CORRECT" time, who do you use?

Thanks!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
This:

NIST Time servers

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
NIST is the official time standard for the USA.

(Stoic-one beat me by a second.)

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
This is what I use:

http://www.time.gov/

It seems "official" enough for me.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
This is what I use:

http://www.time.gov/

It seems "official" enough for me.
It is, it sync's with the NIST time servers. Wink

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Yup, I've always used NIST time.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
those atomic closks are the Chinese versions and not accurate. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
What difference, at this time, does it make?
Razz

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Just a quick comment, but sometimes cell phones will tend to lag for a couple reasons:
1. They're phones, not clocks. Wink
2. There can be some propagation delay pushing the time sync through a cellular network.

I would think they would still be accurate within 30 seconds or so.

NRA Benefactor

posted Hide Post
Tune in WWV on your short wave radio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWV_(radio_station)

Years ago before the internet I used to tune in the wwv time signal at 10 or 15 mhz to set my watches.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
What difference, at this time, does it make?
Razz
Does anybody really know what time it is?
Does anybody really care?
If so I can't imagine why ...
We've all got time enough to cry

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I'm retired and don't much give a shit. I don't even own a watch. Or cell phone. They discontinued that when I left. But like Crocodile Dundee, I look outside and see if its day light or dark. If its dark and I'm awake, I need a drink. If its daylight, I need to look for a drink. All this time stress isn't killing me. My rule of thumb (the thickness of a branch that's proper for beating one's wife) is if I need to be somewhere, someone with a lot more stress will tell me.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
<snip>
2. There can be some propagation delay pushing the time sync through a cellular network.
<snip>

There is indeed some delay in the cellular and wired networks. But it's not nearly as much as "about a minute or so" that Bronica Bill mentions. More on the order of milliseconds.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now, all of our cell phones and computers are also in sync, but about a minute or so behind...

Call the WWV dial-up number (303) 499-7111 and listen while observing the clock on your computer expanded to show seconds. There should be less than a second difference. No way there will (should) be 1 minute.

The most accurate time tick is the WWV HF broadcast signal at 2.5, 5, 10, or 15 Mhz. It is not a digital signal and therefore is not "clocked through" countless times on its way to you and therefore is not delayed as are the terrestrial and digital wireless networks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billr
posted Hide Post
You can also set up your PC to use an NTP (network time protocol) server. There's various tiers of servers that computers will periodically check in with, and they're very accurate.

Your operating system probably has an "update time and date" button in its clock software somewhere that will reach out to an NTP server and adjust the time to be correct, including accounting for network delay.

If you have a Linux machine handy, it's almost certainly set up for this already and you can just run the 'date' command to see the correct time.

--
When you rest your steak and your whiskey upon the table you have made, you feel pretty goddamn tall for keeping those treats off the ground.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Arizona | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
I have three watches that sync to the Atomic clock. My cell phone clicks the hour at the same time they do.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
NIST is the official time standard for the USA.

This is interesting to me. I've got a pair of PLCs at work that are great for short-duration timers, but they suck as clocks. Each week I sync them to the USNO clock. Maybe I'll switch to NIST... not that a second or five here and there matters.

In this particular case, all that matters is that these two devices are reasonably close to actual time, and within a second or two of each other.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I don't like the NIST site/widget much.

I've had good luck with Time.IS

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Just a quick comment, but sometimes cell phones will tend to lag for a couple reasons:
1. They're phones, not clocks. Wink

I would think they would still be accurate within 30 seconds or so.

Then the devices are not doing the math needed to calculate the propagation delay to adjust.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8637 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once upon a time, you could dial P O P C O R N from your rotary phone to get the current time... I also remember listening to my dad's shortwave radio tuned to a station that gave constant time updates. Fun stuff!

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post