SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations for an all-in-one or a flatbed scanner?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for an all-in-one or a flatbed scanner? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
My old Canon all-in-one finally gave up the ghost. Mainly, I use it as a scanner. I do very little copying and printing.

Any suggestions for a quality but inexpensive all-in-one or flatbed scanner for home use?

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Lots of good choices out there.

I've been an Epson guy for years. They eat ink, but the scanners never go bad.

The XP-440s are inexpensive, so you aren't out a lot of cash if they go belly up.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
does that epson operate as a scanner. Say's printer?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
does that epson operate as a scanner. Say's printer?

Yes, I own that model. It prints, copies, scans, does Photos, is wireless, has SD card slot, etc.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I've had really good service from an HP all in one, in their 7000 series I believe. Middle of road pricing, have had it since 2010. I like the wireless feature since I can print from laptop, iPad, etc. if needed. Same for scanning.

Have another higher end one at work that also works flawlessly.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I have the HP OfficeJet Pro 8710. It's a couple of years old, so the replacement is the OfficeJet Pro 9015. Dang good price at $180 right now!

From Amazon...
HP OfficeJet 9015

I DO like my 8710...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have been using the HP Officejet Pro 8720 and have had good results with it.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
I purchased an HP Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M281cdw from Costco a few years ago.
It's been a great unit for me.
All-in-one: Print, scan, copy.

Costco might still have them.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Any Brother MFC machine should work great for you.You choose what options and how much money you want to spent. Good simple example similar to what I have in my office at home. https://www.amazon.com/Brother...75927221&sr=8-3&th=1

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Brother. I got a Brother all-in one, laser black and white years ago and still running great. Just say no to ink jets.

Posts: 300 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I have had a brother mfc-9320cw (color/wireless) that does print/scan/fax since 2010. Never an issue.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Here is the most recent top rates ones from Consumer Reports:

WE bought our current Epson Expression XP830 in November of 2016 and like it. However like any tech related item, I would go by the CR report as it will be more up to date.

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
For strictly scanning, I've had good luck with my FUJITSU Document Scanner ScanSnap S1300i. Easy to use, you can load up to about 10 sheets to auto feed through the scanner. It will automatically do single side or both and excellent quality for such as small unit. Sits right on my desk return taking up little space and all you need do is lift the cover and start feeding pages. A little pricey, but you know what they say about all that cost stuff.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second H&K-Guys' recommendation. I also have the Epson XP-440S and have been very happy with it. Reasonably priced.

Posts: 1049 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'm too probably going with a SnapScan. Want high quality scans, high DPI, and portable. Flatbed? Anything by Brother.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c...3xSGEzYaApW7EALw_wcB

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I have the HP OfficeJet Pro 8710. It's a couple of years old, so the replacement is the OfficeJet Pro 9015. Dang good price at $180 right now!

From Amazon...
HP OfficeJet 9015

I DO like my 8710...

I have the 8715 basically the costco version of the 8710, and agree it's worked well as a scanner, printer, I can print from the iShidt we own which is nice.

Since it's a color scanner it's replaced the Ricoh office B&W for scanning duties...

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I bought an-all-in-one Brother MFC-480DW inkjet in July 2018 from Office Depot for $59.99. I typically only print and scan in documents for home use or to email a scanned image of a bill to the insurance company, submit a rebate, etc. Earlier this year I scanned in some old family photo prints from the 1960s and was surprised by the quality. I didn't print them on photo paper but only scanned them in to preserve a digital image.

That model is discontinued but I see Office Depot right now has a similar looking MFC-J497DW on sale for an unreal $44.99. If I needed to replace my current one I would give that one a shot.

Also, the ink lasts a while and the cartridges are reasonable. I always buy the refilled ones from whoever has the best deal at the time and and have never had a problem.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
I've used the HP Deskjets for awhile and liked them. I can't remember my current model number...it's at work.

I've started using TurboScan by Piksoft on my phone more often than my printer/scanner. A lot of times, when there's something I want to scan, I'm away from my printer. I use my phone to scan, then email the scan to myself in PDF form to save to my laptop later. Of course, they may not come out as neat and clean, but they serve the purpose for me.
Just a thought that you've probably already thought about.

Posts: 740 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another vote for Brother. I got a Brother all-in one, laser black and white years ago and still running great. Just say no to ink jets.

+1

Repeat - "Just say no to inkjets"!
I use Brother MFC-L5800DW's & a HL-L3210CW for color printing. I print about 10,000 pages a year, fax documents to IRS, & scan/email client files. All the printer companies make their money off toner & ink. For business use do not use cheap toner, some Chinese garbage will rub off & will ruin the drum.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've got an Epson XP-640 all in one. It works fine but the fuckin ink costs more than the printer and generic refills don't work. It will also worry you to death with updates. I only use mine for the scanner and would not recommend Epson brand due to the proprietary ink cartridge.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post