SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wheeler Engineering Ceramic FDE Coating
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wheeler Engineering Ceramic FDE Coating Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Update-

Well, it's done ... okay 98% done !

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting both your excellent work and about Wheeler Coatings. It was an interesting thread to follow.

For years I have been using either Norrel's Moly Resin or KG Guncote. While both are easy to apply, I have found that unless you have the steel pArts parkerized prior to appkying either finish, the durabilty is not long lived. Of course alloy parts can't be parkerized, and You do 't want to media blast the anodizing on alloy parts.

However, both Moly Resin and KG are excellent long term rust preventative finishes.

So, in the near future I am going to try the Wheeler coating, their website states one can will coat 2 rifles.

What's your experience on how far a can will go?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I suppose I'll see how durable this is soon enough.
I will say in future I think I'll add another coat.
Also even though I went with thin layers take down pins & barrel nut threads were pretty tight when it came to assembly.

But all in all I'm very pleased with the end result and as I said for small parts I really like how quick & simple this product is.
That being said I do have another order of CeraKote on the way as I believe with its prep it's more durable on sharp edges.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post