SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wheeler Engineering Ceramic FDE Coating
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wheeler Engineering Ceramic FDE Coating Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted
I bought some of the FDE Cerama-Coat from Wheeler Engineering last year & coated some small parts.
They've held up beautifully so I decided to coat the receivers on my 6.5 Grendel build.

Anyone else do their own coatings??

*a couple charging handle from last year.

Out of the oven & cooled down

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kitchen oven? How do you support it?

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone else do their own coatings??

Yup but mostly Cerakote and for some items Gunkote.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
I don't, but that looks great! I think I remember you posting pics of the charging handles before, dry nice.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I’ve used Gun Kote with a sprayer in the past. IMHO most of these types are just “okay” finishes, and not that durable. The surface has to be prepped correctly and anodized aluminum can be especially tricky. The key with these seems to be proper prep plus a few very thin layers.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve done Duracoat successfully.... and less so. Prep is pretty key. But I had time and no oven availability so I just allowed it to air cure.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
Kitchen oven? How do you support it?

I have a larger toaster oven in my shop for small parts.
And a smoker that was used twice before it was replaced with a larger one in the garage for larger items.

I support the items in the toaster oven with old wire hangers cut & bent into shapes that support & free stand in the oven.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
I’ve used Gun Kote with a sprayer in the past. IMHO most of these types are just “okay” finishes, and not that durable. The surface has to be prepped correctly and anodized aluminum can be especially tricky. The key with these seems to be proper prep plus a few very thin layers.

Gunkote while a decent coating it is not nearly as durable as Cerakote.
I only use Gunkote for AR Carriers using the PTFE black and for tiny touchups on handguns.
Gunkote is much easier to use than Cerakote and works very well for the touchups.
Cerakote for everything else like complete guns or even parts like mags.
YMMV

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've used Cerakote a handful of times. I used an electric smoker to cure it.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
The oven I've been using.
Moved a couple of the side rails to the top so I can hang longer parts.
Nothing special & zero issues with this product in this setup.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
You Ceramacoated a wooden duck?? Wink

Looks good. How much does it change dimensions like the pin holes? No big deal or do you plug them from the inside?
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I do three Thin coats so I've not noticed any issue.
I hate the heavy , thick look of coatings laid down heavier than needed.

This product requires :30mins between coats.
Perhaps that's why some seem to go heavy.
Maybe they get impatient.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Coated the rail this afternoon while cleaning up my shop .
I ordered the matching billet upper receiver last night so I'll shoot that once it arrives.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Your work turned out very nice, when wet, orange peel is evident, but after it dries, the orange peel is gone.

Spraying from aerosol cans is not precise.

Any other colors offered by Wheeler?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Yup, Black, FDE, OD Green & Foilage Green.
But I noticed that there's such a variation in shades to FDE I wasn't sure how it'd match up to Magpul FDE.
Actually it's pretty close.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
Yup, black, FDE, OD Green & Foilage Green.
But I noticed that there's such a variation in shades to FDE I wasn't sure how it'd match up to Magpul FDE.
Actually it's very close.

Appreciate you replying. I may try the black on a Makarov I have.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
The matching Billet Upper arrived today.
Figured with the storm upon us I might as well get it coated.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Grumpy, you make it look easy!

Haven't read Wheeler's pre treament metal prep instructions, but wonder if sandblasting promotes adhesion, as many spray on finishes stipulate?

美しい犬

Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Sunset_Va , there's a video on YouTube from the company showing their step by step process.
There's not much to it which is why I bought it for small parts.
But after putting it to use & seeing how it stood up, I figured I'd give it a try on some larger parts.

NOTE - however, all the parts I've coated with this have been brand new out of the box.
If I were to attempt to coat an old part I'd run it thru my media cabinet as described in CeraKotes directions for prepping parts.

With the rail, dust cover & receivers done I'm waiting for the scope rings to arrive & be coated before I'm actually done with all the coating.
But I'm getting close. Still waiting for the parts kits to arrive .

Here are the billet Noreen receivers together.
And remember, this is out of a rattle can !!

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Nice work! I cant believe you have an AR that is not black! Smile All your ARs look nice. I mess around with Cerakote and I too use a smoker. I sold my 30 inch and bought a 40 inch on sale.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post